Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Seat selection suggestions

Search this Thread

Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Seat selection suggestions

DL 171 (MSP - ICN) in June. 2pm departure, 520pm arrival. Flying Z.

Any idea which side window to take (left [B] or right [C]) for best views?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:43 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jfish26
DL 171 (MSP - ICN) in June. 2pm departure, 520pm arrival. Flying Z.

Any idea which side window to take (left [B] or right [C]) for best views?
Both sides would probably be very similar. The majority of the flight will be nighttime, so the sights will be limited.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 10:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by eneq
Both sides would probably be very similar. The majority of the flight will be nighttime, so the sights will be limited.
Flight should be completely daytime for the 2pm departure -- sun will be mostly out the left window early and out the right window late

Recently flew DTW - ICN. Was seated on the left -- views were good, but think they would've been equally good over the right.

For this flight the "good views" are over Canada when you see the big snowy expanse of land which is equally visible from either side.

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 21, 2019 at 5:21 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 12:52 pm

Programs: AS, DL, AA, UA, WN
If one is interested in city views, you'll typically get a better look at Seoul on the right side of the plane during approach when visibility is good. There can often be haze or smog that restricts visibility, though.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 2:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Duke787
Flight should be roughly 50% daytime for the 2pm departure (until sunset over the US and then will be daytime when you break over Alaska into Russia/China going into the evening as you land) -- sun will be mostly out the left window early and out the right window late ...

For this flight the "good views" are over Canada when you see the big snowy expanse of land which is equally visible from either side.
actually, a westbound flight will be chasing the sun the whole way

here's the track from 10 Nov (similar timing -- 1245 departure, 1645 arrival); note the day/night boundary (i.e., sunset) near the west coast of the U.S. at the midpoint of the flight

Last edited by jrl767; Nov 21, 2019 at 2:14 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:30 pm

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Might you have a chance to see the northern lights if you are on the right (north facing) side of the plane?
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-from-a-plane/
I think I saw them once on a polar flight. Or maybe not, some other phenomenon?
Old Nov 21, 2019, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
actually, a westbound flight will be chasing the sun the whole way

here's the track from 10 Nov (similar timing -- 1245 departure, 1645 arrival); note the day/night boundary (i.e., sunset) near the west coast of the U.S. at the midpoint of the flight
EDIT: Yep missed the date, 100% in the sun

Last edited by Duke787; Nov 21, 2019 at 5:20 pm
Old Nov 21, 2019, 4:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Duke787
That's what I originally thought (based on looking at similar tracking) but per the OP the MSP - ICN flight apparently is being re-timed to 2pm (at least for the day in question) so I believe there will be more nighttime than the existing 1245pm tracking (I was recently on DTW - ICN which left around 1230pm ET and that one did have daylight the whole way)
don't forget OP is traveling in June, so northern hemisphere daylight will be much more prevalent (and Daylight Savings Time means departure will be an hour later on the clock, so 1345CDT)

Originally Posted by mot29
Might you have a chance to see the northern lights if you are on the right (north facing) side of the plane?
https://thepointsguy.com/guide/how-t...-from-a-plane/
I think I saw them once on a polar flight. Or maybe not, some other phenomenon?
I was going to mention that before realizing that it's basically a daytime flight (plus it's in June, so solar activity will be more likely to affect the southern hemisphere)
Duke787 likes this.
Old Nov 21, 2019, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
don't forget OP is traveling in June, so northern hemisphere daylight will be much more prevalent (and Daylight Savings Time means departure will be an hour later on the clock, so 1345CDT)

I was going to mention that before realizing that it's basically a daytime flight (plus it's in June, so solar activity will be more likely to affect the southern hemisphere)
Yep missed the June part -- you are spot on, 100% daylight

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.