Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
In the conference call this morning, Ed Bastian said LATAM plans to be an unaligned cattier going forward. So no plans to join SkyTeam, until and unless the market changes.
That's pretty unfortunate for me, as Latam is a pretty good carrier overall, and I've relied on them for (AA) mileage earning a lot in the past. This will be a big dissuading factor for me taking Latam flights in the future. Getting zero credit in any FF program for a 10,000+-mile round-trip? Not optimal.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:49 pm

Originally Posted by 84fiero
All good in theory, but just be aware that LA award availability between SCL and IPC has been a bit tough to come by, though not impossible, past couple of years. I ended up just buying a cash ticket SCL-IPC-SCL for my trip last year and prices really weren't too bad if you keep an eye on trends - IIRC I paid around $275 RT. Award seats are more sparse between IPC and PPT but cash prices are fairly high most of the time from what I saw.
Yeah the cash prices to SCL > IPC are pretty cheap if you watch. I went there last year in January which is high season and could never find award availability even though I started stalking it about 11 months out at least available to partners.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by M60_to_LGA
That's pretty unfortunate for me, as Latam is a pretty good carrier overall, and I've relied on them for (AA) mileage earning a lot in the past. This will be a big dissuading factor for me taking Latam flights in the future. Getting zero credit in any FF program for a 10,000+-mile round-trip? Not optimal.
How does "not being in an alliance" equate to "getting zero credit in any FF program"? You'll still be able to earn SkyMiles and, from the sound of it, Avios due to bilateral partnerships.
cmd320 and manacit like this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
How does "not being in an alliance" equate to "getting zero credit in any FF program"? You'll still be able to earn SkyMiles and, from the sound of it, Avios due to bilateral partnerships.
+1. Presumably they'll be treated in the same manner as VS and VA (where you earn in the normal manner when on DL flight numbers and earn on the ratio table on VS/VA flight numbers). No chance mileage earning is zero -- you just won't necessarily be able to credit to other ST programs unless they reach additional bilateral agreements with other ST members.

And then similar to VS/VA there will be some agreement on lounge access based on status for same day travel to South America (would assume access to LATAM lounges in SA plus MIA and then DL lounge access in other locations where no LATAM lounge exists).

Interesting thing will be a place like LAX where the lounge in TBIT is KE -- so LATAM could negotiate with KE for lounge access but a DL flyer on LATAM metal ex-LAX as of now wouldn't have a lounge which seems like a big gap.

Last edited by Duke787; Sep 27, 2019 at 1:08 pm
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by TTT
It's interesting you say that - QR has a minority position in LATAM (10%). I wonder if tensions between DL and QR might cool when they become investment partners.
QR seems close to BA and some other oneworld carriers.

OTOH if DL picks of a few of the good oneworld members, I wouldn't mind. CX would be nice since DL doesn't currently serve HKG, although the political situation could cause concern.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by cmd320
EK could be a good option...
I don’t know about that. They are not considering join SkyTeam.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: A few here and there
I wonder what CX is thinking in all of this? (Current political issues aside.)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Good point - I hadn't considered the possibility of a bilateral relationship like that (have they said this is definitely in the works?)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
I don’t know what happened to CX. I think they still in negotiations. Hopefully they will bring it back normal again soon.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:17 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Good point - I hadn't considered the possibility of a bilateral relationship like that (have they said this is definitely in the works?)
Yes they have — but how expansive and with whom I think remains to be seen. in other words, I think whether IAG remains a partner is yet to unfold.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:19 pm

Originally Posted by Drunkmuppet
As long as CX remains the only China based carrier in OW, it would hard to imagine it ceding any ground. Furthermore, DL already has a strong footprint in interior China thanks to MU and KE (which, is actually more or less on par with KA in terms of mainland destinations).
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL(PM), UA(Silver), AA(EXP) Marriott(Ti), HH(Gold), Hertz(PC)
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
OTOH if DL picks of a few of the good oneworld members, I wouldn't mind. CX would be nice since DL doesn't currently serve HKG, although the political situation could cause concern.
Does CX serve any of the Delta hubs? I'd imagine at least JFK? I'd love a one-stop connection from RDU to HKG, I go there every year.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fliesdelta
Does CX serve any of the Delta hubs? I'd imagine at least JFK? I'd love a one-stop connection from RDU to HKG, I go there every year.
JFK, LAX, SEA, BOS (depends on month if it's a focus city or mini-hub)
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:50 pm

Originally Posted by fliesdelta
It's pretty easy to get between RDU and HKG with CX if you use AA for the domestic legs. There is also the option of flying AA all the way via DFW or LAX.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 2:52 pm

Programs: Amtrak Guest Rewards (SE), Virgin America Elevate, Hyatt Gold Passport (Platinum), VIA Preference
I mentioned this over in the AA forum, but I really do wonder what this means for the future of Miami. Historically that has been an AA hub.

The other big thing is that, alongside a statement on HFB that VS will be joining SkyTeam...it seems like SkyTeam morphing into a "Delta equity partner alliance" is bordering on inevitable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.