Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 23, 2019, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by cs102
DTW-GRU hasn't been that long—it was still operating last November at least. But, I'd always heard rumblings it was kept alive by cargo, and that drying up led to it getting axed, so I'd be surprised to see it come back up. Load factors were never that great.
Who knows what will happen with individual routes. DL/G3 might not have been able to make it work ,but DL/LA very well might. Or there just isn't the O/D and the folks it in the Auto industry can take one stop ATL or MIA to a much wider variety of SA destinations than before.
Old Dec 2, 2019, 8:34 pm

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
I'm just resurrecting this thread to say that LA just announced their codeshare with AA ends Jan 31, 2020.

DL and LA Peru, Colombia and Ecuador have signed the first codeshare agreement entering in effect 2020Q1 (link here in Spanish). I've tried a mock reservation (LIM-MSP) and DL codeshares are already bookable in LATAM.com (but not yet available in DL). LA Brasil and Chile are said to soon follow, in the first semester of Q1.
Old Dec 9, 2019, 3:54 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Just a note to those following this story - it looks like the LATAM-IAG tie-up has been called off in the wake of DL taking over the AA JV plan.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/ar...-plans-462744/

On a personal level, I think the IAG purchase of UX that IAG is using as a backstop is going to be subject (rightfully so) to a lot more regulatory scrutiny than IAG has publicly admitted to.
Old Jan 16, 2020, 4:03 pm

I'm echoing something said by an internal LATAM source at a Spanish forum: starting Feb. 1 LA operations will move from JFK's Terminal 8 to Terminal 4.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 7:55 am

So, its officially reported: https://onemileatatime.com/latam-jfk-terminal-change/
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:23 am

Programs: DL Plat, UA Plat 1MM, AS MVP, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis Presidents Club, Hertz President's Circle
Any guesses when we'll start being able to book Skymiles awards on Latam? We're planning a big family trip to Argentina in December next year and the option to fly on Latam will open up many alternatives to the currently fairly poor choices we have using Skymiles.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:36 am

Originally Posted by noah
Any guesses when we'll start being able to book Skymiles awards on Latam? We're planning a big family trip to Argentina in December next year and the option to fly on Latam will open up many alternatives to the currently fairly poor choices we have using Skymiles.
It's likely going to take a minimum of 18 months for the regulators in SA and the DOT to rule if they will even allow a LA/DL Joint Venture. The DL WS JV I think was officially asked for in Fall of 2018 and is still not approved by the DOT.

If you mean December of 2020, virtually zero chance for Skymiles redemptions. If you mean December of 2021, it's at least a 50/50 chance if you can redeem by then, but it's likely not going to be available until well after you'd like to have your tickets booked.

If approved it's likely July 2021 at the earliest, then call it a month or two until Skymiles redemption start at the earliest, so my best guess is you won't be able to redeem miles on LA until Late Q3 2021.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 10:51 am

Originally Posted by kop84
It's likely going to take a minimum of 18 months for the regulators in SA and the DOT to rule if they will even allow a LA/DL Joint Venture. The DL WS JV I think was officially asked for in Fall of 2018 and is still not approved by the DOT.

If you mean December of 2020, virtually zero chance for Skymiles redemptions. If you mean December of 2021, it's at least a 50/50 chance if you can redeem by then, but it's likely not going to be available until well after you'd like to have your tickets booked.

If approved it's likely July 2021 at the earliest, then call it a month or two until Skymiles redemption start at the earliest, so my best guess is you won't be able to redeem miles on LA until Late Q3 2021.
Do they need the JV to be in place for sky miles redemption? I can get a skymiles ticket on China eastern and there’s no JV in place.
CPMaverick likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:17 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
It's likely going to take a minimum of 18 months for the regulators in SA and the DOT to rule if they will even allow a LA/DL Joint Venture..... .
A "Joint Venture" and a "frequent flyer marketing program" are two separate things.
I don't think DoT cares if/when 2 airlines decide to participate in each other's FF programs. My guess is that DL wants a little time for LATAM to distance itself from AA & OneWorld. Such steps are already happening. Ramping up a full reciprogral agreement will most likely also happen in stages. Having said that, DL may not be interested in a FF agreement until it knows regulators will approve DL's investing in LATAM. Such an investing approval is financial only and is still a far cry from JV approval.
In between FF agreements and JV are "codeshares" . At this stage DoT type regulators start getting interested because codeshares require some coordinating of schedules between the airlines.
JV goes all out and allows the airlines to discuss fares, schedules, etc and to share the revenue as if they were operating as one company.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 11:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

I don't think late 2020 is out of the realm of possibility though I wouldn't bank on it for planning a trip.

DL has already announced that they intend to start codesharing with LATAM in 1H2020 (https://news.delta.com/delta-latam-l...-latin-america) and the AA codeshare ends this month. The article from Lucky posted above that they are going to recognize LATAM elites for lounge access at JFK and goes on the say they intend tp "offer bilateral lounge access and mutual frequent flyer benefits during the first half of 2020."

LATAM is a OW member through October (unless they can get out earlier) so it's not crazy to think that they put all these pieces in place and then once LATAM is out of OW in October they allow redemptions, even if the JV hasn't been finalized.

There is no need for a JV in order to offer frequent flyer redemption. DL has offered redemptions for years on non-JV partners (KE until recently, VA, GA, AZ is no longer a JV partner, VN, etc., etc.)
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
That T4 Skyclub is going to get crowded.

Not only will LATAM business class passengers, LATAM elites flying Delta, and presumably DL elites flying LATAM have access but, as long as LATAM is in OneWorld, they will be obligated by OneWorld rules to provide lounge access to OneWorld elites traveling on their metal.

For example, a BA Gold or Silver traveling in Y on LATAM from T4...LATAM is required to offer lounge access to them.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:32 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL

Not only will LATAM business class passengers, LATAM elites flying Delta, and presumably DL elites flying LATAM have access but, as long as LATAM is in OneWorld, they will be obligated by OneWorld rules to provide lounge access to OneWorld elites traveling on their metal.

For example, a BA Gold or Silver traveling in Y on LATAM from T4...LATAM is required to offer lounge access to them.
Aren’t there only three Latam jfk flights (SCL, GRU, LIM)? They seem to be pretty spaced out in the evening, peak times, though.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:35 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Duke787
LATAM is a OW member through October (unless they can get out earlier) so it's not crazy to think that they put all these pieces in place and then once LATAM is out of OW in October they allow redemptions, even if the JV hasn't been finalized.
Does this mean that if I fly LATAM before October I cannot earn Skymiles?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:27 pm

Other than carriers like TN/HA, DL doesn't have a Skymiles relationship with anyone beyond Skyteam and JV partners.

I would not expect Skymiles to be earned/redeemed on LA until the JV is finalized 18-24 months from now
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:44 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by DMPHL

I don't understand this. Why should Delta be required to offer lounge access to Oneworld elites? The Delta and LATAM relationship is bilateral. Delta is granting access to LA flyers into its own lounge. This isn't a LATAM lounge.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.