Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2019, 5:18 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Duke787
Except what is SkyTeam without DL and the partners it has stakes in? The answer is an irrelevant alliance of nobodies outside of a couple of regional players.

The incentive for the 2nd tier is that if they don't play ball they are left with nothing and OW and *A are pretty much tapped out (apart from of course this newly created hole in SA)
This is exactly why I think SkyTeam will persist, but be reformed on terms more favorable to the larger members. Small regional players still need feed from the major intercontinental airlines, and passengers loyal to airlines like Delta still appreciate the ability to be treated well with baggage, priority boarding/seating and lounge benefits when flying regionally in areas that don't have much coverage.

Essentially, Delta is currently playing hardball in an attempt to remake the alliance as a more lightweight entity that's more aligned with their strategy, and because they hold all the cards I think it will be successful.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:18 am

Programs: Skyteam
Yay, no more collecting useless AA miles for South American flights!
Old Sep 30, 2019, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by skchin
Yay, no more collecting useless AA miles for South American flights!
I would actually argue that even today AAdvantage miles are more valuable than SkyMiles. They're not what they once were, but there's still a lot more you can do with AAdvantage than SkyMiles.
milesforhire likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 8:18 am

Programs: DL Plat
looks like aa is taking the gloves off! increased frequencies to s america and restarting bos-lhr. seems this is evolving into the fight that dl has with as.

https://onemileatatime.com/wow-ameri...m=BoardingArea
moondog likes this.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by runningformqm
looks like aa is taking the gloves off! increased frequencies to s america and restarting bos-lhr. seems this is evolving into the fight that dl has with as.

https://onemileatatime.com/wow-ameri...m=BoardingArea
Typical AA defining reactivity at its best.

It's a great idea, but until AA starts to improve its reliability, product, and consistency, they just are not going to keep pace with Delta.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 9:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by cmd320
Typical AA defining reactivity at its best.

It's a great idea, but until AA starts to improve its reliability, product, and consistency, they just are not going to keep pace with Delta.
I agree with respect to AA's poor reliability compared to DL, but adding flights in MIA seems like a pretty smart decision on their part to me. BOS-LHR, kind of pointless though since they have that silly immunized JV with BA.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 1:17 pm

Anyone have any intel as to when reciprocal benefits etc may be put in place?
Old Sep 30, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Skymiles Gold
What does the future widebody delivery schedule look like? With the additional A350's from LA I would expect a sizable increase in international flights in the coming years.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:05 pm

Originally Posted by Weekend Away
What does the future widebody delivery schedule look like? With the additional A350's from LA I would expect a sizable increase in international flights in the coming years.
More likely they'll accelerate the retirement of some of the 767's. Or perhaps push back some of the 330's they have on order. There will be some adds and up-gauges to South America as well I suppose.

For a company that used to have nothing but second hand planes (practically speaking) DL is going to have a very modern fleet in the very near future. A220's and A321's pushing out the old MD's, A330 pushing out a lot of the old 767's, A350 pushing out the old 747's. And if Boeing ever makes the 797 gone are the 757's too.
Old Sep 30, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by moondog
I agree with respect to AA's poor reliability compared to DL, but adding flights in MIA seems like a pretty smart decision on their part to me. BOS-LHR, kind of pointless though since they have that silly immunized JV with BA.
I’d be more shocked if AA had said that they were restarting BOS-CDG
Old Oct 2, 2019, 12:23 am

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by ab2013
I’d be more shocked if AA had said that they were restarting BOS-CDG
Not exactly that, but the AA press releases also included the announcement that it’s JBA partner Level will begin Boston-Orly.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 2:55 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by kop84
More likely they'll accelerate the retirement of some of the 767's. Or perhaps push back some of the 330's they have on order. There will be some adds and up-gauges to South America as well I suppose.

For a company that used to have nothing but second hand planes (practically speaking) DL is going to have a very modern fleet in the very near future. A220's and A321's pushing out the old MD's, A330 pushing out a lot of the old 767's, A350 pushing out the old 747's. And if Boeing ever makes the 797 gone are the 757's too.

Perhaps they will also update the A330 with more slack in the system? Those have quickly gone from being their best product to not so great anymore.
Old Oct 2, 2019, 3:14 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Not exactly that, but the AA press releases also included the announcement that it’s JBA partner Level will begin Boston-Orly.
Well, Level is a LCC but I guess one could say that matches AA’s onboard experience in cattle class
cmd320 likes this.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 4:42 pm

When will we be able to start using Skymiles to book flights on LATAM? I tried today searching for award availability on a 2 leg flight (one leg which would presumably be a LATAM flight, as Delta doesn't offer domestic flights in Latin America), and received an error message. So clearly its not possible to do so yet.
Old Oct 12, 2019, 5:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jlb566
When will we be able to start using Skymiles to book flights on LATAM? I tried today searching for award availability on a 2 leg flight (one leg which would presumably be a LATAM flight, as Delta doesn't offer domestic flights in Latin America), and received an error message. So clearly its not possible to do so yet.
Nothing has been announced on the relationship. They only announced they're buying 20% of LATAM and that JJ is leaving OW Oct 2020.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.