Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2019, 6:39 am

Originally Posted by NOLAnwGOLD
I was just shocked as I read this, but hope it all works out, since it would really improve things. I heard the Santiago DL SC was awful (such a random spot for a international US lounge, wonder how that got set up??), so maybe there's a better LATAM one there.....
LATAM has a great lounge in SCL with separate first and business class sections, showers, etc. As an AA flyer, losing LATAM is a big deal.

When combined with significantly better DL operations, this 3MM flyer may finally move to DL.

Thanks,
Old Sep 27, 2019, 7:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
In the conference call this morning, Ed Bastian said LATAM plans to be an unaligned cattier going forward. So no plans to join SkyTeam, until and unless the market changes.
RobertS975 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by BenA
Sweet, Easter Island now will be accessible via SkyMiles!
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
Not only that, but ATL-SCL-IPC-PPT-LAX-ATL is now possible with Skymiles... what a fun itinerary that would be, if they don't charge a fortune for it!
All good in theory, but just be aware that LA award availability between SCL and IPC has been a bit tough to come by, though not impossible, past couple of years. I ended up just buying a cash ticket SCL-IPC-SCL for my trip last year and prices really weren't too bad if you keep an eye on trends - IIRC I paid around $275 RT. Award seats are more sparse between IPC and PPT but cash prices are fairly high most of the time from what I saw.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
In the conference call this morning, Ed Bastian said LATAM plans to be an unaligned cattier going forward. So no plans to join SkyTeam, until and unless the market changes.
Could Ed Bastian be in the early stages of starting his own alliance group: DL, AF/KLM, KE, MU, VA, VS, AM, now LATAM.......This covers a lot of the world pretty well, and would seem to leave VN, AZ, SU, SV, and a few others (as well as GOL, sadly) in the dust of what was SkyTeam.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 9:11 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Could Ed Bastian be in the early stages of starting his own alliance group: DL, AF/KLM, KE, MU, VA, VS, AM, now LATAM.......This covers a lot of the world pretty well, and would seem to leave VN, AZ, SU, SV, and a few others (as well as GOL, sadly) in the dust of what was SkyTeam.
He confirmed on the call today that Delta is still prepared to invest $100M for 10% of AZ, so they're still part of Ed's world. But yes, it does seem Delta is taking the cream of SkyTeam and turning it into the Delta alliance.
RobertS975 likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
He needs to find a replacement for Jet in India. Other potentially worthwhile partners going forward might include GA, VN, KQ, CI... they all have strong regional and domestic networks that cannot be easily replicated.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by RobertS975
He needs to find a replacement for Jet in India. Other potentially worthwhile partners going forward might include GA, VN, KQ, CI... they all have strong regional and domestic networks that cannot be easily replicated.
With Jet gone, AI a mess, and the ME3 dominating much of the India traffic already, I think it's just a lost cause for now.
I have long thought KQ had the makings of a great partnership especially now that KQ can fly direct to the US.
GA from all accounts is a quality airline, but Indonesia is just so damn far away unless they can both make HND or ICN work as a connector it's of limited value
VN could be interesting but again suffers the same issue as GA, it's just so damn far a away! And for both TPAC fares are rock bottom and there already is an over capacity.
CI I think DL would be wary of starting any type of JV to not upset the mainland Chinese authorities.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:06 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Then who would be left behind? SU and SV?

Let's not forget about China Air.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:07 am

Then who would be left behind? SU and SV?

Let's not forget about China Air.
China Air?
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:27 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by moondog
China Air?
China Airlines (CI) - the airline based in Taipei that DL tends to neglect
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: DL Diamond/1MM, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by Sonny84
I don't think so.
As far as I know.. The US cities more visited for south Americans are Miami and NY.
Where AA has hubs.

With Delta they will must get to Atlanta first.
Bad news for SOA people.
Actually MCO is high on that list too, especially for Brazilians.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
He needs to find a replacement for Jet in India.
EK could be a good option...
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:27 pm

Originally Posted by cmd320
DL and one of the ME3? That would be funny.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Sonny84
I don't think so.
As far as I know.. The US cities more visited for south Americans are Miami and NY.
Where AA has hubs.

With Delta they will must get to Atlanta first.
Bad news for SOA people.
DL/JJ will likely add/move flights to DL hubs.

I just hope DL can improve JJ CS. Their CS is known to be awful. Even my local credit union told me they had prior bad experience dealing with JJ on straight forward credits. The only good CS with JJ is when dealing with a contract agent at a contracted airport. It's sad cause JJ, J class is decent. (Not top of the line, but nowhere close to bottom) I've flown them of their AKL-JFK and MEX-IPC J sales frequently . SCL is a dump, but that will change shortly with new airport opening.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 12:28 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by cmd320
It's interesting you say that - QR has a minority position in LATAM (10%). I wonder if tensions between DL and QR might cool when they become investment partners.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.