Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2020, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta
Peru currently has a 6pm through 5am curfew in force and the airport has been closed to normal flights for about 4 weeks. And by curfew I mean no people on the streets, not flights as some airports employ to reduce noise overnight.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 6:29 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
@kyushuman You are mixing things. The curfew is the result of the pandemic and not a normal or permanent measure. The country is shutdown completely but it was not there before and it should disappear when the pandemic is over (I'm telling you, there is NO way this is kept). I think that lead to believe that there are sound or noise curfews in LIM, which is not the case. Flights take off and land 24/7. CUZ on the other hand, does have night flight curfews, if I am not wrong, due to the CAT of the airport.
krzysz likes this.

Last edited by MfromL; Apr 21, 2020 at 8:30 am
Old Apr 21, 2020, 9:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by MfromL
@kyushuman You are mixing things. The curfew is the result of the pandemic and not a normal or permanent measure. The country is shutdown completely but it was not there before and it should disappear when the pandemic is over (I'm telling you, there is NO way this is kept). I think that lead to believe that there are sound or noise curfews in LIM, which is not the case. Flights take off and land 24/7. CUZ on the other hand, does have night flight curfews, if I am not wrong, due to the CAT of the airport.
The only time restrictions I recall @ LIM were during some major construction several years ago, when flight schedules were tinkered with for several months. Otherwise, I've seen that airport at more various hours than I care to remember.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 11:58 am

Programs: LATAMPass Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver Medallion
Eastbay1K You are thinking of the maintenance works they had last year on the runway or the ones they had around 2015 or 16 when they upgraded the ILS system, in both cases they closed during most of the night, and night flights had to be re-scheduled.
Old Apr 21, 2020, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MfromL
Well you can always take the 6 am flights from MSP. The only good thing there is that the TSA security is a breeze and on average MSP is really well organized.

I've done the MSP-LIM a few times and while that was nice on the way out because you can take even the 2 pm flight to ATL to connect and arrive at midnight, I agree about that awful redeye return, which turns even worst with the new food service giving you only 3 hours of darkness to try to sleep. Who knows, this might be a re-schedule or just a temporary thing due to the large numbers of planes they will have iddle due to the decrease in demand for the next year.

What I wonder is what is going to happen with the LA/DL JV? I've read contradictory opinions in airline forums, some say it has doomed LA because it lacks the connecting support and passengers that AA/IB would have given them in their hubs and focus cities like MAD, MIA or JFK; others say that its an opportunity for DL to use LA against a very weakened AA.
The JV portion doesn't make sense. Instead AA/IB is replaced by DL/AF/KL. AF/KL follows DL generally so while not JV, unlikely they dont enter into partnership just like happened with VS. (Which eventually did lead to a JV)

Also there's nothing that says IB wont decide to continue a partnership with LA. It'll just be outside the OW OW alliance. This is the same as has happened with CZ leaving ST, but retaining partnership with DL.
Old May 7, 2020, 5:45 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Dl + latam jv

https://news.delta.com/delta-and-lat...re-agreement-0
Old May 8, 2020, 10:56 am

Programs: Delta
Let's hope it gets regulatory approval. It's difficult with LATAM because of how many market affiliates they have.

I am interested that they noted a code sharing agreement is coming for LATAM Chile in the coming weeks. That could make some interesting routes possible, like heading to IPC on AF metal and then from IPC to SCL on LA metal
Old May 25, 2020, 11:22 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
LATAM files for Bankruptcy

Yikes this isn’t looking good for DL, especially since their $1.9 billion investment has been essentially wiped out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...d-by-lockdowns
Old May 25, 2020, 11:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
And.....LATAM has filed for Chapter 11. Will see what impact it has on the DL partnership. Safe to say DL may have been better off lighting that $1.9B on fire -- and I'm sure as a 20% owner they'll be heavily involved in how this proceeds:

https://reut.rs/2ZCvoLi

Interestingly enough QR is cited as a source of financing and we all know how much DL and QR love each other.

EDIT: See MCO Flyer beat me to hitting the post button
MCO Flyer likes this.
Old May 25, 2020, 11:25 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Duke787
And.....LATAM has filed for Chapter 11. Will see what impact it has on the DL partnership. Safe to say DL may have been better off lighting that $1.9B on fire -- and I'm sure as a 20% owner they'll be heavily involved in how this proceeds:

https://reut.rs/2ZCvoLi

Interestingly enough QR is cited as a source of financing and we all know how much DL and QR love each other.
Wonder how this will affect the JV agreement that is still pending some regulatory approvals (as of May 7th Delta update).
Old May 26, 2020, 12:30 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Delta's 1.9 billion investment is now worth only $300 million. Their equity will likely be wiped out now that LATAM has filed bankruptcy. So Delta, in the words of Willy Wonka, "you get nothing!"
Old May 26, 2020, 7:57 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Delta terminates deal to take over 14 used A350s from LATAM

Delta has agreed to pay $62 million to get out of an agreement to take over 4 used A350s from LATAM although they will still keep LATAMs delivery slots of the 10 new A350s. According to this article, DL and LATAM will continue to go ahead with the JV.

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-latam-a350/

EDIT: They are only canceling 4 used A350s, not 14.

Last edited by MCO Flyer; May 26, 2020 at 8:02 am Reason: Misread article
Old May 26, 2020, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Well presumably the used A350s would be in play during bankruptcy since they are already assets held by LATAM where the net new order of 10 aren't physically held by LATAM so they shouldn't be at risk with this bankruptcy
Old May 26, 2020, 8:15 am

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
Delta cancels order for 4 A350s

Delta and LATAM have agreed to cancel their planned transfer of 4 A350. Delta will pay LATAM $62 million for the cancellation. This does not affect A350 orders coming directly from Airbus.

https://onemileatatime.com/delta-latam-a350/
Old May 26, 2020, 8:20 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
It's amazing how much has changed in only 8 months. Obviously LATAM was never in fantastic financial shape (one of the reasons why Delta did the equity injection) but this was on no one's radar and widely heralded as a brilliant game-changing move against AA. Hopefully Delta will still get a JV out of this, but amazing to watch $2B crash and burn so quickly.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.