Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta / LATAM Partnership (Consolidated Thread)

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2020, 12:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
LATAM is a horrible airline all-around. If you have any convertible mileage currency, I would look on LATAM's web site to see if you can get the flights you want at decent mileage levels (sometimes they do) but make sure to check before you transfer any miles.
PointsPanda likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 1:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by fly747first
LATAM is a horrible airline all-around. If you have any convertible mileage currency, I would look on LATAM's web site to see if you can get the flights you want at decent mileage levels (sometimes they do) but make sure to check before you transfer any miles.
Onboard service, at least in J is good. LATAMs biggest issue is their CS (reservation/ etc) agents. My bank didn't blink an eye when I had to file a chargeback against LATAM. (Refund was due) My local credit union knew to just go ahead and grant me the chargeback. Apparently I wasnt the first at my FCU and LATAM was well known in MC/VI circles for their awful CS and need for chargebacks. Sad considering I always enjoy their onboard service.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 2:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I used to like LAN back when it was just LAN. The merger with TAM made it very meh.
PointsPanda likes this.
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:14 pm

Programs: No airline/hotel status use, Chase UR, Amex MR, CapOne etc
Originally Posted by cmd320
I used to like LAN back when it was just LAN. The merger with TAM made it very meh.
I agree, LAN-TAM worst merger since Verizon-AOL. Its a joke they consider themselves a merged airline considering how different LAN's service is compared to TAM. What really annoys me is LATAM sells the "LAN" premium economy that they offer in Peru Ecuador etc (middle seat blocked, extra legroom, meal served with real cutlery etc) as the exact same product they offer in Brazil which is essentially just economy+ but it looks exactly the same when booking it. They pretend they are the same thing, but they don't even make an effort to consolidate their product.

I sometimes get the feeling TAM part of LATAM is gonna go belly up within next 2 years, and now with Avianca Brazil gone, it will only leave Azul and Gol for domestic Brazilian flights. You can just feel it when you take TAM flights, the old planes, the attendants who don't care, etc

Its as if McDonalds purchased Bob's Burgers, changed all the Bob Burgers location to say McDonalds, but when you go inside its actually still Bob's Burgers other than the branding. Its very confusing for consumers. LAN and TAM in my opinion are still 2 different airlines just operating under one booking system. A whopping *10 full years* after the merger they still haven't even bothered to repaint the livery!

Also agree service in J on LAN flights is solid. I particularly enjoy their refurbed 767. As a matter of fact I think LAN flights offer the best J soft product in Latin America (which I know doesn't say much as Latin airlines are so far behind they even make United look good), good catering even though slightly outdated 2x2x2 seating.
cmd320 likes this.

Last edited by PointsPanda; Oct 3, 2020 at 4:19 pm
Old Oct 3, 2020, 4:42 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Priority Club Gold, Choice Privileges Gold
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
I sometimes get the feeling TAM part of LATAM is gonna go belly up within next 2 years, and now with Avianca Brazil gone, it will only leave Azul and Gol for domestic Brazilian flights. You can just feel it when you take TAM flights, the old planes, the attendants who don't care, etc
LATAM Brasil/Paraguay is the most profitable part of the group.
Argentina (RIP) and Colombia were big money losers
Ecuador and LAN Express (domestic Chile) lost money
Chile international was barely profitable
Old Oct 4, 2020, 10:29 am

Programs: DL PlatMM, BA and Alaska Emerald, HHonors DIA, Accor, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat Amb, UA Silver, AA
Originally Posted by PointsPanda
Its as if McDonalds purchased Bob's Burgers, changed all the Bob Burgers location to say McDonalds, but when you go inside its actually still Bob's Burgers other than the branding. Its very confusing for consumers. LAN and TAM in my opinion are still 2 different airlines just operating under one booking system. A whopping *10 full years* after the merger they still haven't even bothered to repaint the livery!
LOVE this example, for those of us who know Brazil! Here's my take, one that's more locally friendly to Rio de Janeiro: It's as if Starbucks took over all of the Cafeina locations and told everyone that their vague, blah bakery items were just as good as Cafeina's!
PointsPanda likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2020, 9:56 am

Anyone have any insight as to when we might see LATAM codes on DL flights to/from ATL/JFK to EZE/GIG/GRU?
Old Mar 14, 2021, 9:34 am

Programs: DL PM; IHG PlatAmb; Hilton Dia; Marriott Plat; Hyatt Discoverist
Has anyone figured out a way to get a Delta FF# on a LATAM booking other than at check-in? (I called and DMed LATAM, and they said that's the only way. I also checked both the US and Chile versions of the LATAM booking management, as well as every other random airline.) It seems pointless to have an advanced seating benefit for Medallions that can't be used.
kyushuman likes this.

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 14, 2021 at 10:05 am
Old Mar 14, 2021, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by Adam1222
Has anyone figured out a way to get a Delta FF# on a LATAM booking other than at check-in? (I called and DMed LATAM, and they said that's the only way. I also checked both the US and Chile versions of the LATAM booking management, as well as every other random airline.) It seems pointless to have an advanced seating benefit for Medallions that can't be used.
Did you call again?

As someone who has been flying Lan Chile / LAN / LATAM for the past nearly 20 years, you'll find that holding your breath will only cause you brain damage, but won't kill you. You might even still find agents that tell you DL isn't a partner.

Just a thought - perhaps contact DL and explain that the LA benefit it advertises isn't available because LA won't accept input of the DL #. And maybe DL's people will get to the right department at LA faster than we ever could.
Old Mar 14, 2021, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Did you call again?

As someone who has been flying Lan Chile / LAN / LATAM for the past nearly 20 years, you'll find that holding your breath will only cause you brain damage, but won't kill you. You might even still find agents that tell you DL isn't a partner.

Just a thought - perhaps contact DL and explain that the LA benefit it advertises isn't available because LA won't accept input of the DL #. And maybe DL's people will get to the right department at LA faster than we ever could.
I did already email DL explaining just that. Since both the phone agent and the Twitter agent insisted this was LATAM's "policy" I didn't want to waste more time.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 12:48 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
I got Delta Miles on LANTAM

Not sure whether you mean for seat benefits or earning Delta miles.
A few weeks ago, I booked UIO-CUE (Quito-Cuenca) and the return. These are cheap and short (about $50 and 55 min) flights, so I did not care about seating or other Delta reciprocal benefits. 500 MQM's, $10 MQD's, and some RDM's posted to my Skymiles account within a few days after flying.

When booking on LATAM's website (country preference = USA), there is a place in the booking process to enter ff airline name (DL) and the ff number. The ff number appears on my boarding passes.
kyushuman and seychellesbound like this.
Old Mar 19, 2021, 4:48 am

Originally Posted by Bowgie
Not sure whether you mean for seat benefits or earning Delta miles.
A few weeks ago, I booked UIO-CUE (Quito-Cuenca) and the return. These are cheap and short (about $50 and 55 min) flights, so I did not care about seating or other Delta reciprocal benefits. 500 MQM's, $10 MQD's, and some RDM's posted to my Skymiles account within a few days after flying.

When booking on LATAM's website (country preference = USA), there is a place in the booking process to enter ff airline name (DL) and the ff number. The ff number appears on my boarding passes.
Unfortunately my flight had to be booked on the phone.
I'm glad you didn't care about reciprocal benefits. On the flight from JFK to SCL, I would like to reserve the preferred seat I am entitled to in advance for free.
kyushuman likes this.
Old Mar 23, 2021, 6:46 pm

I did already email DL explaining just that. Since both the phone agent and the Twitter agent insisted this was LATAM's "policy" I didn't want to waste more time.
An update:
Got a call from a Delta rep today. She got LATAM to add my Skymiles # to the reservation, but she says the LATAM system doesn't recognize DL elite status, so it's unclear how I would get any benefits. But when I pulled up the reservation, it does seem to recognize it and allow me to pick a standard seat for free, and indicates I am allowed one checked bag for free as an elite. (LATAM+ seats are still showing a charge, despite supposedly free "Preferred" seating)
She says that she is following up with the person "in Atlanta" in charge of the LATAM partnership, but mentioned COVID and LATAM's bankruptcy as possible reasons why the benefits aren't as indicated. (???) My flight isn't til November so hopefully they will figure out this issue before then...

Last edited by Adam1222; Mar 23, 2021 at 6:51 pm
Old Mar 27, 2021, 2:47 pm

Further update:
Got an email from Delta that seems likely factually incorrect. If it *is* correct, it is hugely problematic. There has never been any indication the LATAM partnership was limited to codeshare flights, and that isn't the case with any of other DL's top partners. I responded informing the agent as much, and saying Deltas website should take down the reciprocal partnership if it isn't available and won't be for years.

I wanted to update you on the Latam/Delta agreement that I've found more info on. On Delta.com, if you go to the bottom of the homepage, there is a section called "News Hub" under "About Delta" that has informative articles on the agreement, specifically articles dated Feb 27, 2020, May 7, 2020 and Feb 24, 2021. In order to receive reciprocal benefits, we have to have codeshare flights with Latam. We have codeshare flights thus far with four countries they serve: Peru, Ecuador, Columbia and Brazil. In fact, Brazil, just gave final approval for the agreement last month. We also need final approval from the governing bodies in each country to roll out much of what we would like to offer. I'm not aware of when codesharing will start with Chilean flights with Latam. Covid, as I previously mentioned, has slowed the pace of what both airlines would like to do for our customers. So, I do have your SkyMiles number in your November trip planned to Chile but it's likely reciprocal benefits will not be available at that time; and your flights were not booked as codeshare flights (as not available at the time of booking). As things progress with the agreement and as Covid evolves/improves, you'll see more improvements in the Chilean market with Delta and Latam.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 5:16 pm

Programs: UA- 1K, DL-DM, AA-G, BON-T
I booked a LATAM flight on expedia and put in my DL FF number. When I called LATAM they said hello Mr Diamond - we know you are very special - Ha - but seems to have stuck and been recognized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.