Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:14 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
Originally Posted by DCAFly
Since you don't have an intimate understanding on when anyone else in the world may find it "necessary" to work on a plane, it's probably best for you to just defer to their judgment.
I respectfully disagree.

I fully understand that people "need" to work whenever they can. But that doesn't mean everyone around them needs to cater to "their" needs.
Crammed in an airplane seat is not the most ideal place for many activities.
While they are "ok" to sleep, read, listen to music or watch a movie, they are "not so ok" to work on a laptop, recline or no recline.
I think if we are honest we can agree on that part.
Now, we are all in this together and some of us have a legitimate reason why we recline our seat.
I for one have a spinal condition that is extremely uncomfortable sitting upright. Upright in F or upright in Y doesn't make much of a difference. So in order for me to have a half way decent flight I must recline my seat or else I'm in pain.
Does that "maybe" impact YOUR ability to comfortably hack away on your laptop? Probably but not necessarily.
Who's activity is more important ? In your view it is yours but in my view it is mine. Neither one of us is right here.
I have no other choice as far as my back pain goes. You have a choice of working on a laptop or doing what 90% of the others do on a plane. Whatever that is.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by ijgordon
So what do you suggest people do for the X hours that they're on an airplane?
I don't know. Look around on a plane and see what 90% of the other people do. Read a book, listen to music, watch a movie, nap. Chat with someone next to you. I'm sure there's plenty more activities you can do that are not impeded by a reclined seat in front of you.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:26 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frogbone
I respectfully disagree.

I fully understand that people "need" to work whenever they can. But that doesn't mean everyone around them needs to cater to "their" needs.
Crammed in an airplane seat is not the most ideal place for many activities.
While they are "ok" to sleep, read, listen to music or watch a movie, they are "not so ok" to work on a laptop, recline or no recline.
I think if we are honest we can agree on that part.
Now, we are all in this together and some of us have a legitimate reason why we recline our seat.
I for one have a spinal condition that is extremely uncomfortable sitting upright. Upright in F or upright in Y doesn't make much of a difference. So in order for me to have a half way decent flight I must recline my seat or else I'm in pain.
Does that "maybe" impact YOUR ability to comfortably hack away on your laptop? Probably but not necessarily.
Who's activity is more important ? In your view it is yours but in my view it is mine. Neither one of us is right here.
I have no other choice as far as my back pain goes. You have a choice of working on a laptop or doing what 90% of the others do on a plane. Whatever that is.
I never claimed my wish to use my laptop was more important than anyone else's wish to reline. Nor did I ever imply that I expect others to cater to my needs, just like I'm not accusing you of saying people should cater to yours. Nor did I suggest that people who recline do so without a legitimate reason (whatever that may be). If people want to recline, they can recline as far as the seat will let them (but slowly please). Had you read the thread carefully, you'd see my only comment was that sometimes there are tasks that can't be done as easily on a phone or tablet as on a laptop, regardless of whether one is on a plane or not.

And for the record, people can be honest and disagree with you at the same time.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:27 pm

I don't know. Look around on a plane and see what 90% of the other people do. Read a book, listen to music, watch a movie, nap. Chat with someone next to you. I'm sure there's plenty more activities you can do that are not impeded by a reclined seat in front of you.
I had an early morning flight on a UA ERJ45 (I think that's the aircraft. Old bird, no F) recently. 90% of the passengers slept on the plane and (gasp) had their seats reclined. Even for a lowly hour flight (well depending on if you counted wheels up to wheels down).
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 2:32 pm

Isn't AA making the Y recline the same as Delta for Project Oasis?
Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Not sure about F.

I thought I saw it was going from 4" to 2".

I also thought it was interesting that I didn't see any "yay, this is a good thing" (in regards to the recline) on the AA thread.
Maybe Delta passengers are different?
Old Apr 15, 2019, 4:07 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Sixt Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Platinum, Avis First, Caesars TR Diamond, Mlife Gold
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I am sure if passengers went back to the 80's standard F fare with no upgrades that DL (and every other carrier) would be willing to do it.

There were FF upgrades in the 1980's, as well as the ability to redeem FF tickets at the airport, for any ticket available. In the late 80's my grandmother redeemed two Business Class tickets on Delta LAX-PKK for 150,000 miles. Now that was a FF program, not this Skypeso garbage.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by howtofreetravel
Not possible to sleep without recline
You're not consuming advertisements, nor buying drinks, snacks, internet access and premium entertainment packages while you're asleep. Sleeping pax are bad for Delta's profit margins.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:02 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by indufan
What makes you qualified to think it is a psychological issue? It is very physical to me.

What if your back DID feel the difference?

See here is the thing. I agree with the statement that MOST people do go back as far as they can. Doesn't that say something? They aren't all obvious to the people reclining into them but they still do it....like me. How could they be that obvious when they have a seat back right in front of them that is back. I use a laptop from time to time in coach and I have a big screen and I can still make it work. No, it isn't ideal. But I don't expect it to be either.

Now, a friend of mine (I can't take credit) has come up with an idea. Why not make the left side not recline and the right side recline? Or the right side recline more? Plainly spell it out and make it clear you still aren't promised any particular seat. You couldn't be any worse off than you are today if the non-recliners have to sit on the other side. I can hear the counter argument now....too complicated. Yeah....well it wouldn't be any more complicated than the mess of stuff now.
I don't think most people recline all the way back. Or anything close to most for that matter. In my experience it's a small minority of people.

If Delta really wants to try a test then they should try having seats where the cushion slides forward as opposed to the back reclining. I wonder how many people would take the maximum angle in that case.
Old Apr 15, 2019, 10:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM
Originally Posted by indufan
I am curious what the response would be if Delta One reduced their recline by half.
Delta One seat recline doesn't impact the person behind or in front of you so there'd be no point.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 12:35 am

Programs: Delta DM for now
I'm honestly surprised with the number of people claiming 'bad backs' saying that full recline is the only way they're comfortable. My experience has been the total opposite because full recline leads to a more slouched position and overall bad posture. This might relieve the pressure for a bit, but I will certainly feel it for days afterwards. I usually only recline partway because this seems to strike the best balance between good posture and comfort, so I'm all for 2" limits in Y.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 4:48 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Qwkynuf
I would love to see a Venn diagram consisting of people who

A) Want to decide whether to use their own seat recline AND want to decide whether the person in front of them can use theirs
compared to
B) People who want aisle seats AND want to control the window shade

I am picturing the intersection as just being a circle.

Edit to add: you could add a third criteria - people who define "polite" as "What I want/What benefits me" and probably still retain the circle.
As someone who in both cases thinks the airline should decide, I guess I’m in the circle.

787s with lockable window shades and hard shell premium economy or business seats are my jam.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:21 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hurnik
Isn't AA making the Y recline the same as Delta for Project Oasis?
Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Not sure about F.

I thought I saw it was going from 4" to 2".

I also thought it was interesting that I didn't see any "yay, this is a good thing" (in regards to the recline) on the AA thread.
Maybe Delta passengers are different?
Delta may of course one day follow suit, but AA is reducing recline solely to enable a 30" seat pitch. Delta - at least on the majority of seats on their planes - maintains a 31" seat pitch. In order to go down to 30" pitch or less, there is really no option but to reduce recline. 4" recline in 29-30" seat pitch would mean you could do dental work on the passenger in front of you.

If Delta announced a 30" seat pitch and reduced recline, I am sure the negative cries would be similar here too.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 8:36 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by TuxTom
I'm honestly surprised with the number of people claiming 'bad backs' saying that full recline is the only way they're comfortable. My experience has been the total opposite because full recline leads to a more slouched position and overall bad posture.
IME the best thing for my back in a coach seat is a small pillow for lumbar support. Actually the little coach airplane pillows work well for this.
BenA and SeaHawg like this.
Old Apr 16, 2019, 9:31 am

Originally Posted by DCAFly
Since you don't have an intimate understanding on when anyone else in the world may find it "necessary" to work on a plane, it's probably best for you to just defer to their judgment.
Yet everyone who supports this reduced recline has an intimate understanding of us who have medical issues and who find it "necessary" to recline . Right
Old Apr 16, 2019, 11:54 am

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Yet everyone who supports this reduced recline has an intimate understanding of us who have medical issues and who find it "necessary" to recline . Right
Again, read my post. Where did I say I even supported a reduced recline? You seem to have an agenda that you want to push regardless of the facts.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.