Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Nonreclining seats will be just like Allegiant! Another enhancement. Wonderful news.

Maybe it's just me but, Honestly, I rent a seat on an airplane. Not one in your office cubicle. I sleep on planes and work in my office, or the lounge, or in my hotel. I do travel a lot for work. I fly C+ or F depending on the fare difference. Damn near every flight I book there is space available on the exit rows. You can pay for that and have ample leg room if you are tall, and many seats in front of the exit row, do not recline.

It is not up to me to make sure you catch up on your work or social media on your laptop. If the seat has a button, I am going to use it. I am not in your office or your living room, and chances are I paid as much or more for my seat, as you did yours.
I'll avoid the aircraft with no recline and I suggest you buy the exit row seats if you're tall or the F seats if you are big and tall.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: I've gone underground!
I prefer to have the recline as is. I accept that the person in front of me may recline and I presume the person behind me knows I may recline. I think the recline in F is just sufficient.

I use my 16” Dell laptop in e+ and f routinely and get a lot of work done. I haven’t had issues with people in front of me interfering. In regular economy, I can’t use my computer regardless of recline because the space is just too tight.

I’m a 5’11”dude and my knees touch the seat in front when in regular economy. It doesn’t seem to be significantly worse when the person in front of me is reclined. I have a history of back issues and the reclined position is much more comfortable to me... 60-90 minutes is about my personal limit to sit upright without walking around or reclining.

Im going to conclude by saying that we all have different perceptions and experiences. I don’t agree with DLs decision to change. Hopefully the collective happiness this will cause will outweigh the bummed feeling I will have.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 3:09 pm

Recline on this aircraft is going from 4" to 2". Do you think it will still be unacceptable to recline even at the 2" or this "get out of my space" debate will be over?
indufan likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM
I guess the debate is over and the VIP that pays more than me for the seat won.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 7:45 pm

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Marriott Plat, AA, WP
Remember Aviointeriors and their standing seat? They released a 3.0 version last week, ugh.

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...sible/1537912/

This stupid idea has been around for most of the decade, but at least no one has bit yet, that I have heard.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by daloosh
Remember Aviointeriors and their standing seat? They released a 3.0 version last week, ugh.

https://www.financialexpress.com/lif...sible/1537912/

This stupid idea has been around for most of the decade, but at least no one has bit yet, that I have heard.
I think this famous seat exists just for Buzzfeed to use in clickbait headlines, rather than for any airline to seriously consider installation.
daloosh and strickerj like this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 9:54 pm

I find it hilarious that this move actually got that much positive response. You all know that once they get rid of recline, they will say there's enough room to squeeze another row in, let's do it.
gmt4 likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:24 pm

Programs: UA GS, DL-Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Platinum, Hyatt Somethingist, Marriott Titanium Lifetime
I don’t like seats that are too upright and I don’t like seats that do not adequately recline. Sitting totally upright is uncomfortable for me after about an hour. Since I am too large framed to open and use a loptop when seated on Economy anyway, the change doesn’t help me use a computer or work and so now I can’t work and I can’t relax or sleep either. So I rate the change a fail.
Georgia Peach likes this.
Old Apr 13, 2019, 10:25 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I always recline and do so for the duration of the flight as soon as we are in the air.
Guess you do not fly many non-US flights in Y. There you will be told to put your seat upright while meals are being served.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:06 am

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
You're confusing some aircraft and configurations.

Delta 738s have 16F (and 160 seats total)

AA's MAX8s (and its Oasis reconfigured 738s) have 16 F and 172 seats total.

UA has three 738 configs but all show 16F and 166 seats total.

It's Delta's 737-900ER that has a 20F cabin. So does United's 739. AA doesn't fly 739s.

F seat pitch on DL's 738 is 37 inches - the same on AA MAX 8s and Oasis 738s.
OK, 3C, you can top me on the various spec differences on 737-8-9 aircraft for different carriers, but I will submit that different carriers use their recline differently, especially in F where I fly. Point: If someone in F class on an AA 737 flight wants to recline, the seat mechanism has the pax "slide" forward to do the recline. So the person reclining pays for the increased space not at the expense of the guy behind him, but from his own. Frankly, I think that's the way it should be. Wish DL would adopt that.

Does anyone else have an opinion on this? For me, it's generally been my acceptance of flying in F on AA 737's. I didn't care if the guy infant of me savored his "right" to recline---he paid for it from his own space. IMHO, AA handles the transference of recline space option by the flyer who wishes to recline in a more equitable manner. Flyers who use AA's F recline will know what I mean.
strickerj likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:13 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by Bear96
Wow, is this a first in FT, everyone likes this change? Is it really unanimous? (Of course the thread is less than an hour old so that may change.)

I echo everyone else so far. I like this idea. I never recline (in Y) and would appreciate the extra space in front of me.
I don't like it because when I fly F I like to recline after the meal service and close my eyes. Leaving recline as-is for premium cabins seems fair.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 1:36 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Due to budgetary reasons, I often end on Spring Airlines between here and HK. While I've learned to condition myself to almost all of their gimmicks (e.g. yoga lessons, 20 minute sales pitch, trying to cram the entire plane onto a single bus), the non reclining seats still bother me to no end.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Some folks have bad backs so reclining helps, even on short flights. So to say no one needs recline on short flights is like the healthy telling the sick what they need.

The solution in my mind is to keep the F recline and increase pitch. Im fine if they want to reduce it in coach and use FCM.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 12:31 pm

Programs: Hyatt Explorer, Marriott Titanium, AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, Avis Plus, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pulpfiction78
I guess the debate is over and the VIP that pays more than me for the seat won.
Nope, what I am saying is it's about personal responsibility. You want more room, then buy a roomier seat.

I bought a seat just like you, and your needs wants and desires, do not take precedence over mine.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 14, 2019, 4:25 pm

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Ceres
Nope, what I am saying is it's about personal responsibility. You want more room, then buy a roomier seat.

I bought a seat just like you, and your needs wants and desires, do not take precedence over mine.
True. The airlines set the recline in the seats and I should be able to use it if necessary especially if my back needs the recline.

Doesn't the seats with the seat cushions that move forward when reclined minimize intruding in the space behind you? Does DL use these types of seats?

Last edited by sspontak; Apr 14, 2019 at 10:01 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.