Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2019, 10:53 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Americans are just too fat. Just admit it. You know it's true.

Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. If they weren't so fat they would fit just fine.

Dutch men are, on average, the tallest in the world and have no problems with the horrendously uncomfortable intra-Europe seats and legroom. Of course, the Dutch obesity rate is one of the lowest in the West.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:01 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider

Two-thirds of Americans are overweight or obese. If they weren't so fat they would fit just fine.

Dutch men are, on average, the tallest in the world and have no problems with the horrendously uncomfortable intra-Europe seats and legroom. Of course, the Dutch obesity rate is one of the lowest in the West.
I think there is validity to your point, but also a bit of a red herring.

Intra-EU is a very different market than Domestic US. Any casual observer knows this. There is significantly less business air travel in Europe. Most of the very short haul is done via train, and there is less need for long-haul travel as the market is much more segmented by local region (i.e., country) due to language and cultural differences.

For the record, my BMI is 24 (and getting closer to 23!) and I fully support this change.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Beltway2A
Phenomenal move by Delta. I'm looking forward to no longer having sore knees (and maybe even being able to work on a laptop) in Y.
I will trade your sore knees for my spinal stenosis.
CO-PLAT likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:13 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriot Plat
Lol I read the comments and most are happy with less recline. Airlines have trained us by nickel and diming our benefits. The recline adjustment would not have been needed had the airlines not cramped seats in but given us more leg room. I know we will not get the leg room unless we are willing to pay for it, but just my thoughts.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I look for you to point to the study that shows satisfaction with narrow seat pitch is a function of low BMI, not short height.

Until that time I'm using this as a working hypothesis: people put up with poor seat pitch (Spirit, Frontier, easyJet) and absence of recline when they're just unwilling to pay for more. You can see the phenomenon here every day: posters complaining about seat pitch (or lack of upgrades to Comfort+) when Comfort+ was available for purchase.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:20 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
100% agree as well. I find more value in having more work space in front of me than recline space behind me. That and I rarely recline more than an inch, anyway.

Now, if they just had a way to regulate at which speed one in front of you reclines their seat as not to slam everything on your tray into your lap.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

people put up with poor seat pitch (Spirit, Frontier, easyJet) and absence of recline when they're just unwilling to pay for more. .
Generally agree, though sometimes it is that they are unable to pay more, not unwilling, either to do financial limits or a restrictive travel policy.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:29 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
I guess I'm in the minority of not really caring if the person in front of me reclines as long as they don't do it really suddenly. Its a feature of the seat. And at least personally being able to recline a couple of inches makes a huge difference in my ability to sleep during a flight. I don't consider this to be a positive change at all. And I'm 5 foot 11 so it isn't like I'm super short or something, A reclined seat can make it a little tougher to get in or out of a row but I've never had one come anywhere near my knees
CO-PLAT and davidlhanson like this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:32 am

Horrible idea. Its pretty sad that the New Jersey Transit bus with a $6 fare offers more recline than a $600 flight
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:34 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by Zeeb
Its a feature of the seat.
To paraphrase Ronald Reagan, I am paying for this seat.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:38 am

I agree with you that the population is obese but the reducing the recline is only a function of making it work with the pitch they have chosen. I cant stand it when the five-something in front me flops their seat all the way back.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:38 am

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
Since I do not fly DL much- my comment has as much weight as a grain of salt- let everyone stand up and no seat, no recline. Then tell them it is being done for their health.

Just like Sky Pesos is a great loyalty program.
davidlhanson likes this.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:39 am
formerly smoaky

Originally Posted by Frogbone
Seat recline has no impact on watching TV or surf the Internet (unless you bring a 17" Laptop). What meals are served on flights less than 2 hours ??
In economy seat recline is the difference between getting work done or trying to type on your knees with a seat in your face. Flew recently in delta economy recently and when the guy in front of me reclined it nearly cracked my 14" laptop screen, which no longer could be used on the tray table. So yea, it matters. There's no reason to recline your seat on a 2-3 hour flight.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: DL GM, MR Gold, Hilton Gold, National Exec
Originally Posted by defrosted

However that being said I reclined the other day in C+ (nobody behind me, which hardly happens) and it felt like the bottom cushion moved forward like in first. Was I imagining that? It was actually comfortable.
I feel like I notice this too. I don't think the bottom of the seat is actually moving, but the seat back pivots around where the tray table behind is attached. So, the bottom of the seat back may be pushing you forward as you recline.
Old Apr 12, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by smoaky
There's no reason to recline your seat on a 2-3 hour flight.
Is three hours a magical number? Have you ever had back problems? Even before I had them, I always felt it totally uncomfortable being upright. Having said that, my neurosurgeon says that I have had these problems for years and years but didn't know it. It doesn't matter if it is for three hours or 15 minutes, I feel better reclining. Sure I can tough it out for a while. And while no doctor has told me this, I suspect toughing it out for 21 years has helped me get into the position I am in. I guess my parent point is that there is SOME reason to recline your seat for a 2-3 hour flight. YOU may not have any reason but I do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.