Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2018, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Under “Project Oasis” all legacy AA Boeing 737-800 / 738 aircraft will join the densely configured 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 go on in the 2020s in their “densified” version with the oversized Boeing Space Bins. The densification began during late 2018 and is expected to be complete sometime in 2021.

See AA 737 MAX 8 SSW / 7M8 aircraft in service Nov 2017 (discussion)

For the A321-200 retrofit program under “Project Oasis” see A321 / 32B old to densified A321 / 32B Oasis Aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

See registration numbers of retrofitted “Oasis” standard aircraft on the (unofficial) AA Fleet site in the two pages of 738s - “classic” and “enhanced” versions.

Those reported as refitted show F16, Y156 (MCE30) and “BSI - SPACE” denoting the new Boeing Space Bins, allowing 60 more carryons per aircraft). The pages also list type of IFE, WiFi, etc.

Gary Weissel, managing director of Tronos Aviation Consulting Inc., estimated that American could generate about $400,000 a year for each seat it adds to a plane, based on average fares and typical aircraft usage.
Types:

100 Boeing 737 MAX 8: (began arriving 2018 “out of the box”)

304 Boeing 737-800 737-800 / 738 (rapidly being retrofitted)

Configuration:

Final “Oasis” configuration: F16, Y156 (of which 30 are MCE) IFE WiFi streaming, Internet WiFi mostly? via ViaSat, seat power 110 VAC universal plug plus 5 VDC USB low output, oversized Space overhead baggage bins.

See here for SeatGuru seat chart.

First / Business: (16 seats in rows numbered 1-4, A , DF) Rockwell Collins MiQ (similar to AA Premium Economy seats without foot rests) with 37” seat pitch. NOTE unrefitted 737s have rows 3-6 in F).

Main Cabin Extra: (30 seats numbered rows 8, 9, 10, 16 and 17, seats ABC and DEF) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 33” seat pitch.

Main Cabin: (126 seats numbered rows 11-15 and 18-33) Rockwell Collins Meridian seats with 30” seat pitch.

SeatGuru claims

• First: Pitch 37”, width 21”
  • Main Cabin Extra : Pitch 33”, width 16.6-17.8”
  • Main Cabin: Pitch 30”, width 16.6-17.8”

NOTE: AA does a poor job of retaining your booked or equivalent seats in equipment change situations, which will only increase until 152 aircraft are refitted.

At shoulder height, the width of Rockwell’s Advanced Spacewall restroom -- made by the company’s B/E Aerospace unit -- is about the same as older economy-class restrooms. The space savings comes around sink level, as the wall curves in to allow a row of three seats to be tucked under the bend. The lavatory, which is just one available option, provides seven inches more of cabin space, according to a Rockwell spokeswoman. The company and several airlines declined to provide full dimensions.

The refitted aircraft sport the new “Spacewall“ ultra slimline lavatory (29” in F, 24” in Y). First / Business seats.

The smaller restrooms as installed “out of the box” on American’s 100 new 737 Max aircraft have prompted employees to dub it the Mini. - Bloomberg, 9 Jun 2018
FOR LIST OF CONVERTED Boeing 737-800 aircraft to densified 737-800 / 738 “Oasis” (all 737 MAX 8 / 7M8 aircraft arrive in the “Oasis” configuration out of the box): see American Airlines (unofficial) fleet site 738 Classic (link) and 738 Enhanced link listings. Old versions are 16 / 144, new “Oasis” are 16 / 156.

This retrofit is occurring fairly rapidly, and there are 304 738s. Rather than tediously updating a list here, look at the AA fleet site pages linked to above. The fleet site is updating their information in a timely manner.
Print Wikipost

Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:50 pm
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Cool Unrefitted Boeing 738 to 7M8 or densified Oasis 738 aircraft Swap - Seat loss, etc.

Hey guys,

I wanted to check if I'm understanding 738 equipment swaps correctly. I was originally booked in 15D which is the second exit row in the original 738 configuration. Due to an aircraft swap to a Project Oasis aircraft, I am now in a Main Cabin non-reclining seat in front of the exit row.

Both the original 738 configuration and the Oasis configuration have 3 MCE rows and 2 exit rows. And of course, the Oasis configuration has more MC seats. Shouldn't AA automatically reassign seats in kind? Or did it not happen because I was already checked in when the swap occurred?

738 "original" MCE rows 7-9 ==> Oasis MCE 8-10
738 "original" exit rows 14-15 ==> Oasis exit rows 16-17

Also, is there any way to be notified of this change? An Expert Flyer alert would not notice this type of aircraft change, correct?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Enjoy....just went through this but in FC.

one must be militant about checking seat assignments now.

another #goingforgreat experience 🙄
ijgordon and enviroian like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 2:58 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
I’m not aware that AA has ever handled these issues as we wish they would. In fact I’d say one of the most frequently cited cases of angst in this board is losing an assigned seat - due to equipment change, being displaced by FAMs, people with disabilities and their companions with priority access to certain seats, etc. without being moved to comparable seats or being notified.

All we can do AFAIK is keep an eye on the PNR information regularly - more frequently as one gets close to departure date - and being agile in securing a new seat or even new flight when possible.

As more 737 MAX come into the fleet and more 738s are refitted under Awaysis - and the A321 fleet does too - we’re going to see many more passengers affected by this odious change to “MSTC” - the More Sardines Throughout Coach antithesis to the sadly departed MRTC - and the new sardine can lavs.
SK, ijgordon, C17PSGR and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:25 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Whatever algorithm AA uses it’s sure to put you in the worst seat on the aircraft, particularly if you are a high level elite. Maybe it’s the AA way of telling you that your not all that special after all.
AAdamE likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:57 pm

Programs: American Exec Plat Hilton Dia, IHG Plat, Hertz 5*, National Exec E, Delta Gold,
On a recent DFW-YYC, equip changes took me from FC upgrade confirmed to last row at the lav , which we all know doesn’t recline.
On a brighter note, got to chat with lots of folks waiting in line.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:29 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by EGSExec
On a recent DFW-YYC, equip changes took me from FC upgrade confirmed to last row at the lav , which we all know doesn’t recline.
On a brighter note, got to chat with lots of folks waiting in line.
Dreadful.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: American EXP; British Airways Gold
Originally Posted by JDiver
I’m not aware that AA has ever handled these issues as we wish they would. In fact I’d say one of the most frequently cited cases of angst in this board is losing an assigned seat - due to equipment change, being displaced by FAMs, people with disabilities and their companions with priority access to certain seats, etc. without being moved to comparable seats or being notified.

All we can do AFAIK is keep an eye on the PNR information regularly - more frequently as one gets close to departure date - and being agile in securing a new seat or even new flight when possible.

As more 737 MAX come into the fleet and more 738s are refitted under Awaysis - and the A321 fleet does too - we’re going to see many more passengers affected by this odious change to “MSTC” - the More Sardines Throughout Coach antithesis to the sadly departed MRTC - and the new sardine can lavs.
Bolding mine, and LMAO at what I highlighted.
TXguy likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 10:52 pm

Programs: AA 5MM EXP, UA 2MM 1K, HH LT DIA, MR Plat, NRAC EEV, AMEX Plat
Is a swap to a densified B38M/B738/A32B material enough for a refund?

After experiencing the odious, cramped, nano-thick seat cushioned, seat in front of you touches your forehead when reclined 737 MAX 8 on an IAD-LAX "let's not call it a transcon", and hearing about the lav being unusable - although being in a window seat completely unable to actually navigate to it, or pick up a phone dropped on the floor before landing, I have decided that this is enigmatic of Dewey Parker's entire approach to the airline - as not a hospitality and transportation company, but some sort of assembly line of passengers mindlessly pumping nickel after nickel into the AA slot.

I vowed I would never fly one of those torture birds again; it is truly absolutely awful. I regret ever calling the 757-200 a slave ship - I guess you don't know what you've got till it is gone. Imagine the suffering once Project Oasis does the same to the existing fleet.

In the interim, if swapped to a 737 LEAST 8, or a reconfigured bird, does the ticketing condition "CHANGE OF EQUIPMENT NOT ACCEPTABLE TO THE PASSENGER" cover cancelling and refunding the ticket? I seem to recall when the 777-200 had a Pacific and Atlantic configuration, that swap wouldn't have been enough, but if a 77L was swapped in for a 77W, that would be enough to cry foul.

Does changing to a Oasis'd (sardined) 738 count as a material enough change of equipment for the same treatment? I believe that if the policy is in any way unclear on this, AA needs to make it crystal clear, as they are the ones foisting this upon us when nobody - not frequent flyers, not travel writers, not airline critics - not the news - wants it.
spongenotbob, TXguy and jmrp like this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL PM
No. Just move your business away from AA like myself and others are doing.
railmatt likes this.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:14 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Nope., not afaik. And as more MAX and refitted 738s and A321s come on line it will just get worse. Some will u doibtedly go Awaysis.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 8:33 am
Original Poster

Programs: US CP, UA *G; SPG Plat, Hilton Gold; Natl Exec, Hertz PC
Just to be clear... I didn't lose my seat assignment, but rather the type of seat. 15D in original (2nd exit row) turns into 15D in Oasis (non-reclining main cabin row before exit row).

I think I know the answer, AA does not even try to re-assign like seats to like seats in an equipment swap.

For example, I know not to book the "B" aisle seat in an MD-80 because it can change to a "B" middle seat on any other aircraft.
1A on E175/190 can disappear when an alternate version is substituted.

So now, on a 738, FC rows 5-6, MCE bulkhead row 7 and exit rows 14-15 can all disappear on an Oasis substitution and be left with random seats.

It just seems ridiculous to not attempt to keep customers in a similar seat to what was booked, especially when there is an obvious equivalent seat.

And yes, the Oasis aircraft are ridiculous.
JDiver and TXguy like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Concierge Key, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, National Car Executive Elite
I think your strategy of following possible/probable swaps and planning accordingly is essential. As you mention, even though B is an aisle on an MD-80, being aware that a 737 or A-319 could be substituted might keep you from booking a B seat. I do a lot of Eagle flights operated by Mesa. A few Mesa flights have 4 rows of First, but most have 3, so I never pick a row 4 seat unless that is all that is available knowing that the equipment may change. I suspect that an equipment change begins with an automated seat reassignment. The juggling of seats is probably complex and dependent on the available time for AA to react. The best approach is to cover yourself by looking at probabilities when choosing seats.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by flightrisk
It just seems ridiculous to not attempt to keep customers in a similar seat to what was booked, especially when there is an obvious equivalent seat.
Yes, and about 400 aircraft to reconfigure. This is years of misery, watching for changes in aircraft/seat configs - even before setting foot on an Oasis-ified plane.
JDiver and TXguy like this.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:43 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Another good reason to check in before arrival at the airport. If there is an a/c change you might catch it in time to avoid being seated in 32B. I doubt there's much other strategy. AA generally doesn't switch the type of equipment and its fairly rare and unannounced. Over the past few months I've had a LUS 319 switched to a LAA 321 and 738. I've noticed in hubs that if a flight is oversold AA will often upgauge the equipment rather than ask for/force bumps. The two flights if had been on a 319 would have needed required bumps.
Old Oct 16, 2018, 9:47 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Yes, and about 400 aircraft to reconfigure. This is years of misery, watching for changes in aircraft/seat configs - even before setting foot on an Oasis-ified plane.
All the more reason to continue to shift business away from AA where possible.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.