FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Delta Air Lines Plans to Reduce Seat Recline in Bet to Make Flyers Happy
Old Apr 15, 2019, 11:26 am
DCAFly

Programs: DL Gold, AA Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Frogbone
I respectfully disagree.

I fully understand that people "need" to work whenever they can. But that doesn't mean everyone around them needs to cater to "their" needs.
Crammed in an airplane seat is not the most ideal place for many activities.
While they are "ok" to sleep, read, listen to music or watch a movie, they are "not so ok" to work on a laptop, recline or no recline.
I think if we are honest we can agree on that part.
Now, we are all in this together and some of us have a legitimate reason why we recline our seat.
I for one have a spinal condition that is extremely uncomfortable sitting upright. Upright in F or upright in Y doesn't make much of a difference. So in order for me to have a half way decent flight I must recline my seat or else I'm in pain.
Does that "maybe" impact YOUR ability to comfortably hack away on your laptop? Probably but not necessarily.
Who's activity is more important ? In your view it is yours but in my view it is mine. Neither one of us is right here.
I have no other choice as far as my back pain goes. You have a choice of working on a laptop or doing what 90% of the others do on a plane. Whatever that is.
I never claimed my wish to use my laptop was more important than anyone else's wish to reline. Nor did I ever imply that I expect others to cater to my needs, just like I'm not accusing you of saying people should cater to yours. Nor did I suggest that people who recline do so without a legitimate reason (whatever that may be). If people want to recline, they can recline as far as the seat will let them (but slowly please). Had you read the thread carefully, you'd see my only comment was that sometimes there are tasks that can't be done as easily on a phone or tablet as on a laptop, regardless of whether one is on a plane or not.

And for the record, people can be honest and disagree with you at the same time.