Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Which has nothing to do with the “A” seat on the CRJ. Regardless of what seat someone is in, if they have a roller-bag and a personal item, they should place the personal item under the seat in front of them.
(Emphasis added).

I alluded it to in my post # 2 upthread, but suspect this may really be the crux of the OP's complaint. It's certainly been discussed elsewhere on FT, and most seem to agree, that proper etiquette is to put ONE bag in the overhead and if you have a second personal item, you are to put that under the seat. If you only bring one bag onboard, you are still entitled to put that in the overhead.

If 3A is putting both his roller AND backpack in the overhead, then I agree person is a DB. But I don't think that's technically against any rules, just a matter of etiquette. The FA may or may not get involved. That, in turn, may or may not depend on how much you make a fuss in front of the whole cabin about seeing people put two bags in the overhead.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Titanium, AA PLT for Life
Scandal: I will put both my items in the overhead bin. Most every time.

But, I will start with the roller bag only. And I will find a space for the backpack if one is available. And I will wait till late in boarding to do this. And I will gladly remove it if/when it becomes clear space is constrained if I see someone else unable to find space. And I will help move items around to make more space when people without my spatial skills -- or really any awareness of any other people being on the plane -- load the overhead idiotically. And I will help someone lift their bag up there too.

Sorry? No, not sorry.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 2:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA,RR,NW,Delta ,UA,CO
The problem might be that the overhead bins on the 'A' side are the very very small ones and the bins on the other side are large enough to take a legal size rollaboard, but depending on the aircraft, it may have to go sideways.

So it appears that OP thinks if you take an 'A' seat, you accept that if you carry on two bags, both must be personal size or smaller. Don't go poaching bin space across the aisle.

Old Feb 12, 2019, 3:13 pm

Programs: DL PM / MM, Nat'l EE
So if the OP and other first class pax are valet checking their large bags and placing their personal items below the seat in front of them, you'd just have the small bags from 1 A/C/D and an errant rollaboard or second bag to worry about. I like @ijgordon's approach based on that math.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 4:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott/Starwood Plat
I bought the international spinner I have because it fits on a CRJ. If you want to gate check you bag that's fine, I'm bringing mine on.

A side or BC side doesn't matter. The bins in the FC cabin are for the cabin, not the seat under them.
SFO777 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Pax sitting in bulk heads put both their carry on and their personal item in the o/h bin. That's how it works. They are literally told to do so by FA's.

And if for some reason the F bins fills up, F pax can use the Y bins before those pax board. Your pet peeve is dumb.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EarlVolFan
...and sit on the single ‘A” side in FC where there is no overhead storage space are my latest pet peeve. The first three who do that wind up taking all of the available overhead space in FC.

Are your connections so tight that you can’t wait an extra 5 minutes after deplaning for the bag that you should have pink tagged and left at the gate?

Oh, wait, forgot. It’s all about you!
Well some times 5 minutes could be enough time for causing a misconnect.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 5:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by mediator
Well some times 5 minutes could be enough time for causing a misconnect.

It taking 5 minutes is fake news.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:16 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I don't get it. If your bag fits. it goes in the overhead bin. I've boarded a CR9 later and had to put the bag up in C+, but that's the way it goes sometimes. I know one of my bags fits in a CR9, but not a CR7 or CR2. It would be nice that if they could make the CRJ bins in F just like the E175 bins, but I don't think there is enough room or else it would be just like that.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 6:30 pm

From what I've seen the rules about bringing rolleraboards on regionals vary depending on the airline. Some I've flown have made anyone with a rollaboard pink tag and valet check the bag. Others allow them on.

If they are allowed on board then people,should be entitled to take them on board.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:23 pm

Programs: AA gold, Hilton Diamond
I regular fly on CRJ's and I typically sit in the A side as I am flying single. My experience is that only a very tiny rollaboard will fit in the overhead on
the BC side. About 80-90% of folks on board have rollaboards that literally just won't fit and have to be left on the runway to be stowed in the plane belly. I also carry a knapsack that is too big for the A overhead (only a small purse will fit in the A overhead or a folded jacket) so it goes in the BC overhead.

I am typically in the front of the plane. First Class it pretty much a joke on a CRJ. It is not uncommon for me to have to put my rollaboard and knapsack
maybe 10 feet behind me particularly if I get on the plane later. Even when I get on the plane late there is always plenty of room in the overheads as
80-90% of the rollaboards have to be left on the runway as they just don't fit. My rollaboard and knapsack typically rattle around in the overhead
there is that much room.

It is significantly more time (sometimes up to 15-20 minutes on the runway in inclement weather to pickup up larger rollaboards) that just won't
fit in the CRG overheads. Typically about 80% of the plane passengers are standing on the runway to pick up their larger rollaboards as it takes awhile
for the staff to unload the belly of the plane.

Folks that sit on the "A" side are just as entitled to put items in the overhead as those that sit on the B and C side. The folks in A are also in first class.
Tickets are the same price.

I guess I see what the poster is complaining about as a non-issue. On these little commuter planes the reality is that sometimes I might have to
use an overhead 5-10 feet behind me but that is the reality of these small commuter planes. I fly these planes a lot and the overheads are never
full and my little rollaboard and knapsack kind of rattle around.

If room was tight I would not put my knapsack in the overhead but I've never had that be the experience just as I wait patiently at landing
if someone has to pull their items that are stowed 5-10 feet behind them.
flatdawgs likes this.

Last edited by brandie; Feb 12, 2019 at 7:28 pm
Old Feb 12, 2019, 7:47 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by blue_can
From what I've seen the rules about bringing rolleraboards on regionals vary depending on the airline. Some I've flown have made anyone with a rollaboard pink tag and valet check the bag. Others allow them on.

If they are allowed on board then people,should be entitled to take them on board.
Agreed. Just follow the rules.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by brandie
... 5-10 feet behind them.
agreed that 5-10 feet isn’t altogether bad, but 5-10 rows is another (and not uncommon) story
Old Feb 12, 2019, 9:05 pm

Originally Posted by teCh0010
I bought the international spinner I have because it fits on a CRJ. If you want to gate check you bag that's fine, I'm bringing mine on.

A side or BC side doesn't matter. The bins in the FC cabin are for the cabin, not the seat under them.
ditto here. Bought and use a roller bag that fits into the CRJ overhead space. Will continue to use the overhead space as I always have.
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2019, 10:56 pm

Originally Posted by brandie
... rollaboards that literally just won't fit and have to be left on the runway ...
Once again, please do not leave your luggage on the runway. It is really bad when it gets ingested into the plane's engines.
cre95, HDQDD, jdrtravel and 5 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.