Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old Aug 29, 2019, 1:41 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have not been on an E-175 in a long time. Tomorrow I have one for MSP-OKC. I know there is some variation in the RJ900 OH bins, but do all EMB-175 have the same OH space?
Old Feb 8, 2020, 12:46 am

CRJ 700 Luggage Questions

I hope this is in the right place. I am hoping someone can help me out. I am going to be flying into Atlanta on a Delta CRJ 700. My questions are, can I take a carry on and also an underseat bag? If so, what size do they need to be. I know on the larger crafts I have flew on I could have a carry on and also a personal bag (or underseat), however I am not sure what I can use on this craft.I am trying to avoid having to pay to check a bag. There are items I will need access to on the plane. I have medications that I need to keep near me at all times. I know that on regional jets sometimes the carry on cannot be put in the overhead, the flight crew take it and give it back to us when we arrive at our destination, however not sure how big of a personal bag we can keep near us. Thanks in advance for anyone that is familiar with this aircraft and can advise me.
Old Feb 8, 2020, 11:09 am

Programs: DL DM, Bonvoy LTT, HH Diam, UA Silver, USAF million miler ;)
Same rules- one carry on and one personal. The carry on can't be stuffed or it won't fit. The CRJ700 overhead is very short, meaning your bag needs to be thin (not bulging) when laying on it's side. With a non-bulging bag, though, a near full size rollaboard fits OK- I have the Costco Kirtland full size bag and it fits - just - as long as it is the same size as when it is empty and nothing in the front pocket. When I bring a backpack, I actually have more trouble because they are usually thicker. In any case, they will gate check the big one, so if there is anyway to put what you need in the personal one, that would work.

[added\ the GA will almost always tell me to check my rollaboard but I either take a pink tag and just go on the plane or tell them I know it will fit.

Last edited by orca15; Feb 8, 2020 at 11:14 am
Old Feb 8, 2020, 6:20 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
My short connection from CHA-ATL includes CRJ2s, 7s and 9s.
I always carry on my camera pelican (1535) with exterior dimensions: 32.58 x 18.40 x 11.02 in and a backpack with 1-2 laptops in it, possibly some more camera gear.

The Pelican won't fit in the overheads of the CRJ2, butjust fits in the 7s and 9s (height wise). This is a hard sided case, so there is no give with it. 11.03in is about the door opening dimension I would have to guess.
As mentioned, if you have a bulky backback, it can be a chore getting it over the lip, or you end up pulling something out to get it to fit.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, WN, Global Entry; +others wherever miles/points are found
Originally Posted by BHammy
11.03in is about the door opening dimension I would have to guess.
I'm going to guess you are clearing with more than 10 mils to spare. 10 mils is probably less than the heat fluctuation in the opening size
BHammy likes this.
Old Feb 9, 2020, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond, Hertz Five Star
Usually on these smaller planes they’ll offer to pink tag it as alternative to truly checking it. Personally, I hate pink tagging and would rather check it all the way through. (I’ve had some bad experiences where I almost missed connections waiting on pink tagged bag and then running across the airport). A soft side or a duffel bag is more likely to fit/scrunch in than a hard side that is the size it is, but the luggage allowance is always the same.
Old Feb 10, 2020, 8:38 pm

Programs: DL DM
[deleted: wrong thread]

Last edited by tardyturtle; Feb 10, 2020 at 8:46 pm
Old Feb 11, 2020, 5:26 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
You question should be answered here. Although the original question is about the CRJ900 the answers include all CRJ models.

Delta CRJ900 Carry-on Bag Models
Old Feb 11, 2020, 11:11 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Plat-ist, Bonvoyyyyyyed, Hilton $15 Daily F&B Receiver, Food Lion MVP
Originally Posted by CPMaverick
You question should be answered here. Although the original question is about the CRJ900 the answers include all CRJ models.

Delta CRJ900 Carry-on Bag Models
Bins on the CR2s are noticeably smaller. I'm sure someone else will have even more nit, but the CR7 and CR9 bins are functionally the same size to me.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 1:55 pm

Programs: Delta, United, AA
Originally Posted by BHammy
My short connection from CHA-ATL includes CRJ2s, 7s and 9s.
I always carry on my camera pelican (1535) with exterior dimensions: 32.58 x 18.40 x 11.02 in and a backpack with 1-2 laptops in it, possibly some more camera gear.

The Pelican won't fit in the overheads of the CRJ2, butjust fits in the 7s and 9s (height wise). This is a hard sided case, so there is no give with it. 11.03in is about the door opening dimension I would have to guess.
As mentioned, if you have a bulky backback, it can be a chore getting it over the lip, or you end up pulling something out to get it to fit.
I think you must have been in an ultra new CRJ. In the skywest ones I have been on, there's no way an 11" thick bag would fit. Here is a blogger showing a CRJ with 9" high,

https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...blog-review-2/
Old Feb 12, 2020, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL-DM (1.75MM), Bonvoy LifeTi, Hertz-PC
Originally Posted by AussieNomad
I think you must have been in an ultra new CRJ. In the skywest ones I have been on, there's no way an 11" thick bag would fit. Here is a blogger showing a CRJ with 9" high,

https://renespoints.boardingarea.com...blog-review-2/

I've only recently seen the NextGen logo on the CRJs into CHA.
My next 2 trips are on CRJ2s, but the first week in March I'll be on a CRJ9, I'll check model of plane and dimensions of opening.
But for the last year or so, my Peli has fit on the 700s and 900s - but unsure of Gen1 or NextGen birds.
I know there is a difference in the opening vs bin depth, so I'll measure both to get accurate dimensions of what will squeeze past the opening vs sit in the well.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:14 pm

Programs: VA-PLT, QF-GLD, DL-GM, UA-ex1K, AA-exPLT, HH-DM, IHG-PLT, MR-GLD
Originally Posted by ekozie
Bins on the CR2s are noticeably smaller. I'm sure someone else will have even more nit, but the CR7 and CR9 bins are functionally the same size to me.
Yes, my point was that the thread includes discussion about all three, including the differences between them, despite the title.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 9:58 pm

Programs: DL, Hilton, National
Can anyone clarify if there is any BR rollerbag that definitely fits in all of the CR and Emb commuter jets?
Old May 11, 2021, 6:47 pm

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
Stupid CRJ question

Are there any CRJ's in which a full size carryon would not need to be plane side checked? I've never flown on one before but have a CR9 on the schedule now. What about a B717?
Old May 11, 2021, 6:49 pm

Programs: DL DM Hilton Diamond WN A List
I'm sure others more knowledgeable than me can help but you should have no trouble with a 717. and some of the CR9s do have extended overhead bins now. I can just never tell which ones lol.

Safe travels!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.