Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2021, 9:01 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sideways though, right?
yes
Old May 12, 2021, 10:11 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I have both a 20" and a 22" rollaboard. The 20" will fit in an overhead bin on the CRJs. The 22" won't.

My one experience with the A220 indicated that the overhead bins on that aircraft are quite a bit bigger than the bins on the CRJs.

The 717 is a truncated version of the MD88/90 series and it is a mainline jet.
Old May 13, 2021, 10:57 am

Programs: UA 1K, DL DM
Originally Posted by evergrn
Sideways though, right?

(edit: sorry, quoted the wrong post. I was responding to post#11)
yeah, sideways. nothing except maybe those small roller laptop bags would fit wheels-first (if that, even)
cmd320 and evergrn like this.
Old May 15, 2021, 6:12 am

Heading back into the sky soon. First segment of upcoming trip will be out of CLE aboard a Delta CRJ 900 (third row / starboard side). Planning on taking a 26L Goruck GR1 as my carry-on. Have never flown aboard one of these previously but have read that the overheads on this bird are actually smaller than those on the CRJ 200 & 700's. Will I be o.k? Let me know if I need to revise by strategy. Thanks.
Old May 15, 2021, 7:43 am

I have flown on a number of crj 900 in the past few weeks. (I was in the first row that was "first class".) There were only overhead lockers on the starboard side but my 40L spinner fit with no problem. Worse scenario, you gate check it and pick it up as you walk off the plane. No need to go to baggage claim. The CRJ 200 I flew couldn't accomodate my spinner.
Old May 15, 2021, 12:30 pm

You’re fortunate. In CLE wheeled bags, regardless of size, never see the cabin door of a regional puddle jumper.Always valet checked. I have even witnessed a Tom Bihn Western Flyer tagged once.
Old May 16, 2021, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
I’ve flown on two DL Conex CR9s in the last week. I’m not sure what 26L translates to in dimensions but I travel with a 21” TravelPro Maxlite 4 international rollaboard. It fit wheels first on a newer Skywest CR9 and sideways on an older Endeavor CR9.

It would never have fit on a CR2 so I’m not sure where the idea that CR2s have larger bins than CR9s comes from.
Old May 17, 2021, 7:59 am

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Depending on who's actually operating the CRJ9, some overheads are bigger than others. The newer next gen ones fit my Tumi just fine where the older needs to be gate checked.
Old May 17, 2021, 8:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LiveOak
Heading back into the sky soon. First segment of upcoming trip will be out of CLE aboard a Delta CRJ 900 (third row / starboard side). Planning on taking a 26L Goruck GR1 as my carry-on. Have never flown aboard one of these previously but have read that the overheads on this bird are actually smaller than those on the CRJ 200 & 700's. Will I be o.k? Let me know if I need to revise by strategy. Thanks.
In DLC flights this isn't true. Maybe UAX but in DLC CR9 the OH are bigger than all CRJ and most CR7. (Some CR7 have same bigger as CR9)
Old May 17, 2021, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I googled the bag in question and it looks a slightly bigger backpack? That should fit without too much hassle. Worst case they gate check it if it doesn’t fit but it shouldn’t have a problem, especially if you are in F where the bins are bigger on the starboard side than they are in Y.

And on DL the CR9 bins are the same size as CR7.
Old May 17, 2021, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta PM, Delta Reserve, Amex Plat, Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starbucks Gold ;)
CR9/CR7 have the same size bins. Smaller roller bags do fit in those bins.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by DCAproducer
CR9/CR7 have the same size bins. Smaller roller bags do fit in those bins.
This is not my experience. My bag fits on the CR9 but not on the CR7.
Old May 17, 2021, 3:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Not all CR9s and CR7s are created equal. The newer ones have larger bins that will accommodate a bag wheels first. The older ones do not.

Also, the newer ones have done away with the completely useless tiny bins with sliding doors that used to live above the A seats on F. I never understood what could actually fit in those things.
Old May 17, 2021, 4:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by cmd320
Not all CR9s and CR7s are created equal. The newer ones have larger bins that will accommodate a bag wheels first. The older ones do not.

Also, the newer ones have done away with the completely useless tiny bins with sliding doors that used to live above the A seats on F. I never understood what could actually fit in those things.
IME SkyWest is generally bad for this and tends to have old and battered CRJ-900/700 aircraft. Endeavor planes tend to look newer and are more likely to have bigger bins.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; May 17, 2021 at 5:16 pm Reason: typo
Old May 17, 2021, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by cmd320

they were great for a coat, or for a laptop in a cushioned sleeve, esp if you were in Row 1
cmd320 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.