Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Overhead bin space on regional jets (CRJ/CR2/CR7/CR9/E75) Consolidated Threads

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2021, 4:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Some CRJ-900s have the tiny bins on the A side glued shut and others are good for coats and small purses.
cmd320 likes this.
Old May 17, 2021, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
IME SkyWest is generally bad for this and tends to have old and battered CRJ-900/700 aircraft. Endeavor planes tend to look newer and more likely to have bigger bins.
I tend to agree however the one I was just on was actually a 2019 build aircraft and had the extended overheads.
Old May 19, 2021, 10:17 pm

Programs: DL DM
After much research, I got a Travelpro Maxlite 5 21", which just barely fits in the overhead of the CRJ200. Fortunately, this won't be an issue in a couple of years when they all go to the boneyard, but nice to have a rollaboard that fits on any regional jet until the CRJ200s disappear.

DiverDave and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:06 am

Programs: SWRR, HH, SM, TSA Pre
My CR7 on my schedule got downgauged to a CR2. I'm traveling for work with a small amount of uniforms and equipment that can not be replaced in time for me to work. I've got a Samsonite that claims it's 20" but is actually 22" very much like this one, https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-43...Purple&prdPV=1 WWYD? Travel with this one, hoping it fits but prepared to gate check it if necessary? Use an underseat bag that my wife has? Or buy something slightly smaller than this one.
From the dimensions of the bag shown above, my current bag is damn close to fitting. The bag I have measures out with my tape measure at 21.5x14x9.5
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:17 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
My CR7 on my schedule got downgauged to a CR2. I'm traveling for work with a small amount of uniforms and equipment that can not be replaced in time for me to work. I've got a Samsonite that claims it's 20" but is actually 22" very much like this one, https://www.kohls.com/product/prd-43...Purple&prdPV=1 WWYD? Travel with this one, hoping it fits but prepared to gate check it if necessary? Use an underseat bag that my wife has? Or buy something slightly smaller than this one.
From the dimensions of the bag shown above, my current bag is damn close to fitting. The bag I have measures out with my tape measure at 21.5x14x9.5
It wouldn't be gate checked, it would be pink tagged, which is very low risk of loss. You get it back at the jetbridge on arrival. I wouldn't worry about it.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 8:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by EAJuggalo
Not sure about under the seat, but I'm about certain that won't fit in the overhead on a CR2.

Valet tagging it is annoying, but better than checking it entirely. That's about the only option you'll have.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, BA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold, Radisson Premium, Global Entry, CLEAR
Originally Posted by indufan
This is not my experience. My bag fits on the CR9 but not on the CR7.
Interestingly enough my Tumi roller fits on the CR7 and most CR9s but there was an old CR9 I was on from MOB-ATL in July and I assumed it would fit and the gate agent said it would fit too but low and behold I had to have an embarrassing moment when I realized it was the same bins as the CR2, thankfully several other people also ran into this problem so I wasn't the only one. At least the FA was cool about it and even said it wasn't our fault and that it normally would fit so yeah that was not very pleasant to go through.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 3:07 pm

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by coke cans and winglets
Interestingly enough my Tumi roller fits on the CR7 and most CR9s but there was an old CR9 I was on from MOB-ATL in July and I assumed it would fit and the gate agent said it would fit too but low and behold I had to have an embarrassing moment when I realized it was the same bins as the CR2, thankfully several other people also ran into this problem so I wasn't the only one. At least the FA was cool about it and even said it wasn't our fault and that it normally would fit so yeah that was not very pleasant to go through.
Yes somehow there are some CR9s that have the tiny bins. I remember boarding sometime this year and the gate agent was warning that many carry-ons would not fit.

I thought it was a joke until I boarded and saw the actual bins.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Yes somehow there are some CR9s that have the tiny bins. I remember boarding sometime this year and the gate agent was warning that many carry-ons would not fit.

I thought it was a joke until I boarded and saw the actual bins.
There’s the Atmosphere ones which are newer and can fit a carry on wheels first. The older ones can’t. I travel with a European sized rollaboard and it fits in the Atmosphere planes wheels first. In the older ones it will just barely fit sideways.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
There’s the Atmosphere ones which are newer and can fit a carry on wheels first. The older ones can’t. I travel with a European sized rollaboard and it fits in the Atmosphere planes wheels first. In the older ones it will just barely fit sideways.
There are 3 types of CR9 interiors. The originals which are mostly 2006-07 builds have the CR2 style bins that will barley fit anything as the OP described. Then there is the “next generation” interior that will fit most rollerboards but it must be placed sideways. The newest is the “atmosphere interior” as you described which can fit rollerboards wheels first in FC and sideways in C+ and Y.
DiverDave and cmd320 like this.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MCO Flyer
There are 3 types of CR9 interiors. The originals which are mostly 2006-07 builds have the CR2 style bins that will barley fit anything as the OP described. Then there is the “next generation” interior that will fit most rollerboards but it must be placed sideways. The newest is the “atmosphere interior” as you described which can fit rollerboards wheels first in FC and sideways in C+ and Y.
Oh wow, didn’t realize there were -900s out there with the CR2 style bins. Yikes.
Old Aug 22, 2021, 4:31 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
Originally Posted by cmd320
Oh wow, didn’t realize there were -900s out there with the CR2 style bins. Yikes.
Any CR9 that was delivered before June 2007 (when the next generation interior was first introduced) will have the CR2 style bins. I was on a SkyWest early 2007 build CR9 a few month ago and it had tiny bins.
cmd320 likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 4:45 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Which RJ9 versus my Tumi?

There are some RJ900s that allow space over the B/C OB to accommodate my Tumi rollaboard even when pleasantly full.
My memory is faint, but maybe Tumi rides inside on say OKC-DTW, but not perhaps OKC-MSP.
Tomorrow I do OKC-OKC on RJ9 tail #N320PQ (was N319PQ). I think at least a previous RJ ATL-OKC required a pink tag.
Is there some way to know in advance if I should try and place my Tumi in the OB or just surrender to the pink tag?
FAs always assume my Tumi will not fit in a RJ9 OB, but going in backward sometimes yes then sometimes no.

Tumi Rollaboard

Last edited by Xeno; Sep 28, 2021 at 5:59 am
Old Sep 28, 2021, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
if memory serves (and it's been a couple years since I tried this), the ex-Mesaba jets (N9xxXJ) are the ones that can't (easily, if at all) accommodate a Tumi in the B/C bins
Xeno likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2021, 11:05 am

Programs: Delta Platinum; Hilton Diamond; Marriot Gold
That said, you bring up an interesting point, there are (I think?) 3 different interiors of the CR9’s (not counting the 70 mod with the Atmosphere cabin).

is that due to different regional carriers? For instance, in FC, some have the sliding panel overhead bins on the A side, others don’t.
any rhyme or reason?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.