Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Here are the applications for flight slots at HND (12 slots available to US carriers):

UA (six slots requested)
HND - EWR/ORD/IAD/LAX/IAH/GUM
Application of United Airlines (508 pages)
Answer of United Airlines (154 pages) "United's proposal will make the best use of scarce Haneda slots and provide the greatest public benefits, and No other carrier has demonstrated the benefits of its proposals more than United"
Consolidated reply of United Airlines (148 pages) "Our proposal is best, and the other guys misrepresented the facts."

HA (three slots requested)
HND - HNL (3x daily)
Application of Hawaiian Airlines (118 pages)
Answer of Hawaiian Airlines (111 pages) "Why HA is best, here's what's wrong with DL's request, here's what's wrong with UA's request, and here's what's wrong with AA's request"
Consolidated Reply of Hawaiian Airlines (33 pages) "Our proposal is best, and here's what's wrong with DL, UA and AA's proposals"

AA (four slots requested)
HND - DFW/LAX/DFW/LAS (DFW is AA's first and third preference)
Application of American Airlines (135 pages)
Answer of American Airlines (106 pages) "Only AA adds competition, DL squanders scarce resources, and don't reward UA further"
Consolidated Reply of American Airlines (111 pages) "Here's why DFW, LAX and LAS should be selected, and UA's baseless attacks on AA distract from UA's poor proposal"

DL (six slots requested)
HND - SEA/DTW/ATL/PDX/HNL/HNL (HNL Is DL's fifth and sixth preference)
Application of Delta Air Lines (199 pages)
Answer of Delta Air Lines (90 pages) "DL's proposal maximizes public benefits, DL's proposal should be granted in full before UA, AA, and HA are considered, and DL deserves the slot times it has requested"
Reply of Delta Air Lines (75 pages) "Answers from UA, AA and HA underscore why DL's proposal should be granted in full, and B6's answer is irrelevant to this proceeding"

And the odd filing:
Answer of Jetblue Airways Corporation (6 pages) "If it is important for DOT to grant DL's application for slots at HND, it is equally important to allow JetBlue to enter LHR and AMS"
Print Wikipost

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2019, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kavok

They could do this. The challenge becomes that unlike NRT, only DTW has flights from the mainland to NGO, not ATL/SEA/etc. This means that the NGO-MNL leg is comprised entirely of Japanese based pax + pax on the DTW-NGO leg. So unless you are selling a lot of onward tickets sold to Japanese pax, if DL is going to operate DTW-NGO-MNL... they might as well just operate DTW/SEA/orLAX-MNL direct.

Swap out DTW for SEA on KIX, and MNL for SIN and you can make the same arguments for other shifting of the 5th freedom routes to NGO or KIX.

Basically, it would require a combination of lighter loads on the NorthAmerican-KIX/NGO load, coupled with good Japanese sales to SIN/MNL to make it worthwhile. But maybe that was the grand plan all along, considering the HKG drop and SEA-KIX add. NGO/KIX provide the opportunity for two onward routes, and DL chose MNL and SIN via SEA/DTW.

It is possible, you’re right. But it seems extremely unlikely to me.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:23 am

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

It is possible, you’re right. But it seems extremely unlikely to me.
Truthfully, I doubt it as well. There aren’t that many MNL/SIN pax originating in SEA/DTW. And for anyone else, using this route would require a double connect on XXX- DTW/SEA - KIX/NGO - SIN/MNL.

Not a very appealing itinerary for most...
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Would DL be able to move SIN/MNL to HND? These are older route authorities and I'm not clear if they are subject to the normal HND/US restrictions.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:17 am

Originally Posted by kavok

Truthfully, I doubt it as well. There aren’t that many MNL/SIN pax originating in SEA/DTW. And for anyone else, using this route would require a double connect on XXX- DTW/SEA - KIX/NGO - SIN/MNL.

Not a very appealing itinerary for most...
Actually, most economy pax on DTW-NTT are connecting passengers to MNL/SIN. Both flight are often full, but due to the lack of corporate and business pax to MNL, it’s not profitable for them. But SIN is and I expect they’ll either launch SEA or just connect through ICN on KE metal.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:28 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by Tomo12

Delta will close the NRT base because it is expensive to operate. They will probably launch SEA-SIN and just dump MNL all together
DL won't start SEA-SIN, especially with SQ on it. They'll almost certainly simply exit the market and funnel SkyTeam passengers through ICN.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by ab2013
DL won't start SEA-SIN, especially with SQ on it. They'll almost certainly simply exit the market and funnel SkyTeam passengers through ICN.
On second thought, I agree. Do you think they would operate their own flight through ICN or any other gateway.
Similar to how they weren’t able to turn a profit on SEA-HKG, SIN would probably be the same.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

On second thought, I agree. Do you think they would operate their own flight through ICN or any other gateway.
Similar to how they weren’t able to turn a profit on SEA-HKG, SIN would probably be the same.
SIN is a different market from HKG. MNL I believe would be moved to NGO, KIX, or even HNL if they keep it. SIN though I see DL still flying to. It's always a full flight, and J fares generally aren't cheap. You have multiple flights where no one is upgraded due to full J cabins. Also if nothing else to ensure they keep the route.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:41 am

Originally Posted by flyerCO
SIN is a different market from HKG. MNL I believe would be moved to NGO, KIX, or even HNL if they keep it. SIN though I see DL still flying to. It's always a full flight, and J fares generally aren't cheap. You have multiple flights where no one is upgraded due to full J cabins. Also if nothing else to ensure they keep the route.
I don’t think they would keep MNL. It’s not the same as SIN which as you say, is always full in business. MNL while it is a big market, is not full of the business/corporate passengers which SIN has.
Delta is increasingly focusing on codeshares and their partnership with KE, so I don’t think they would route MNL through Japan at all.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 11:57 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Maybe from another station, but not SEA. SEA-SIN would be a bloodbath, and DL would lose to SQ, because SQ has more feed on both ends.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Would DL be able to move SIN/MNL to HND? These are older route authorities and I'm not clear if they are subject to the normal HND/US restrictions.
From an air service agreement perspective, yes. But the slots at HND that are available to US carriers are restricted to use in service to the US and it’s territories. So, practically, until/unless the a lot scheme at HND is overhauled, it’s not possible.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
But SIN is and I expect they’ll either launch SEA or just connect through ICN on KE metal.
Delta has a call center in Singapore. I don't know how they could discontinue service to Singapore and still maintain the call center. What would be the point, especially if you could do it in India or the Philippines for less money?
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:06 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

From an air service agreement perspective, yes. But the slots at HND that are available to US carriers are restricted to use in service to the US and it’s territories. So, practically, until/unless the a lot scheme at HND is overhauled, it’s not possible.
If I was Delta I would fly the couple of essential nonstops to Tokyo but otherwise fly to Guam and then use that as a hub for intra-Asia to Singapore, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, etc. You could probably get a bunch of federal subsidies.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 2:39 pm

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I was Delta I would fly the couple of essential nonstops to Tokyo but otherwise fly to Guam and then use that as a hub for intra-Asia to Singapore, Manila, Kuala Lumpur, Hong Kong, etc. You could probably get a bunch of federal subsidies.
Isn’t that what United does. I don’t think that would go well for Delta as UA already has an established network out of GUM. Delta is more likely to fly intra Asia out of ICN, either themselves or through KE
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:26 pm
Suspended

Isn’t that what United does. I don’t think that would go well for Delta as UA already has an established network out of GUM. Delta is more likely to fly intra Asia out of ICN, either themselves or through KE
United has cut a considerable number of routes out of Guam and it also doesn't receive subsidies.
Old Feb 24, 2019, 5:43 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Seem like it would be nice to have a few 787s lying around for some of these long, thin routes. PDX-HND? SEA-SIN? The 787 seems made for this stuff. Too bad.
ryw likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.