Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Here are the applications for flight slots at HND (12 slots available to US carriers):

UA (six slots requested)
HND - EWR/ORD/IAD/LAX/IAH/GUM
Application of United Airlines (508 pages)
Answer of United Airlines (154 pages) "United's proposal will make the best use of scarce Haneda slots and provide the greatest public benefits, and No other carrier has demonstrated the benefits of its proposals more than United"
Consolidated reply of United Airlines (148 pages) "Our proposal is best, and the other guys misrepresented the facts."

HA (three slots requested)
HND - HNL (3x daily)
Application of Hawaiian Airlines (118 pages)
Answer of Hawaiian Airlines (111 pages) "Why HA is best, here's what's wrong with DL's request, here's what's wrong with UA's request, and here's what's wrong with AA's request"
Consolidated Reply of Hawaiian Airlines (33 pages) "Our proposal is best, and here's what's wrong with DL, UA and AA's proposals"

AA (four slots requested)
HND - DFW/LAX/DFW/LAS (DFW is AA's first and third preference)
Application of American Airlines (135 pages)
Answer of American Airlines (106 pages) "Only AA adds competition, DL squanders scarce resources, and don't reward UA further"
Consolidated Reply of American Airlines (111 pages) "Here's why DFW, LAX and LAS should be selected, and UA's baseless attacks on AA distract from UA's poor proposal"

DL (six slots requested)
HND - SEA/DTW/ATL/PDX/HNL/HNL (HNL Is DL's fifth and sixth preference)
Application of Delta Air Lines (199 pages)
Answer of Delta Air Lines (90 pages) "DL's proposal maximizes public benefits, DL's proposal should be granted in full before UA, AA, and HA are considered, and DL deserves the slot times it has requested"
Reply of Delta Air Lines (75 pages) "Answers from UA, AA and HA underscore why DL's proposal should be granted in full, and B6's answer is irrelevant to this proceeding"

And the odd filing:
Answer of Jetblue Airways Corporation (6 pages) "If it is important for DOT to grant DL's application for slots at HND, it is equally important to allow JetBlue to enter LHR and AMS"
Print Wikipost

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Search this Thread

Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:49 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
It's not economic competition any more than entering a high school essay contest is economic competition. A DOT slot application is lawyering.
Delta's primary argument is that they should get the slots in order to create more economic competition with the JVs operating these routes. Are you saying that DL has misunderstood what's going on?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:22 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
It's not economic competition any more than entering a high school essay contest is economic competition. A DOT slot application is lawyering.
Not really, IMO. At least not full scale. Reading the applications and responses, while it's the format of a legal pleading, it's really more about the economics, statistics, etc., and the economic benefit and competition. Just that the format is a legal-like format, and precedents are considered, but it's really the network/route planning people at the airlines who work on this mostly it appears.
Mountain Explorer likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:22 pm

You can go right to the DOT docket.

https://www.regulations.gov/searchRe...p=true&ns=true

Comments filed as recently as today can be found there.
I was mistaken, does anyone know when the results will be released?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 5:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Tomo12

I was mistaken, does anyone know when the results will be released?
There’s no timeline, but likely by May.
Old May 16, 2019, 3:56 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Results released! DL (tentatively) wins 5 slots...

https://news.delta.com/dot-tentative...five-us-cities

DL’s time at NRT must be coming to an end next year...
Old May 16, 2019, 4:11 pm

Programs: Priority Club Pl, Marriot Gold, Delta PM, National EE, Hertz PC, TSA Pre✓
Originally Posted by ab2013

Very sad news for us as we like to fly Delta One all the way to Singapore. It looks like we will need to either switch to Singapore Airlines or hold our nose and go with UA's SFO-SIN nonstop which is an easy connection from TPA, our home airport.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium

Should be noted this is tentative. AA, UA, and HA are sure to file compliants to this proposed award. I don't think it'll change anything. Delta unlike AA and UA have no partners on the Japanese routes.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond

Would have liked to see a commitment to a SkyClub in that press release
gt5889a likes this.
Old May 16, 2019, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM
Here's a quick summary of the results for the rest:

By this Order, the U.S. Department of Transportation (the Department) tentatively allocates 12 available slot pairs for daily scheduled combination services between the United States and Tokyo International Airport (Haneda) as follows:
(1) two slot pairs to American Airlines, Inc. (American) for daily service from Dallas/Fort Worth and Los Angeles;
(2) five slot pairs to Delta Air Lines, Inc. (Delta) for daily service from Seattle, Detroit, Atlanta, Portland, and Honolulu;
(3) one slot pair to Hawaiian Airlines, Inc. (Hawaiian) for daily service from Honolulu; and
(4) four slot pairs to United Airlines, Inc. (United) for daily service from Newark, Chicago, Washington, DC, and Los Angeles.
Links to official ruling:
https://www.regulations.gov/document...2019-0014-0079

Link to all documents:
https://www.regulations.gov/docket?D=DOT-OST-2019-0014
Old May 16, 2019, 5:14 pm

Originally Posted by davidlhanson
Very sad news for us as we like to fly Delta One all the way to Singapore. It looks like we will need to either switch to Singapore Airlines or hold our nose and go with UA's SFO-SIN nonstop which is an easy connection from TPA, our home airport.
You can do an all-Delta ticket using KE. Actually it's a nicer business class product than the 767 that does NRT-SIN. And the brand new terminal at ICN is pretty nice too
NYC Flyer likes this.

Last edited by Mountain Explorer; May 16, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Old May 16, 2019, 5:23 pm

Here's the new routes. Kinda interesting that it's 5 routes with 5 different planes. HND might be the only airport in the world with 5 different DL widebodies daily
  • SEA-HND will be operated using Delta’s newest international widebody aircraft, the Airbus A330-900neo. Delta's A330-900neo will feature all four branded seat products – Delta One suites, Delta Premium Select, Delta Comfort+ and Main Cabin – giving customers more choice than ever.
  • DTW-HND will be operated using Delta’s flagship Airbus A350-900 aircraft, the launch fleet type for Delta’s award-winning Delta One suite, Delta Premium Select and Main Cabin.
  • ATL-HND will be flown using Delta’s refreshed Boeing 777-200ER, featuring Delta One suites, the new Delta Premium Select cabin and the widest Main Cabin seats of Delta's international fleet.
  • PDX-HND will be flown using Delta’s Airbus A330-200 aircraft, which features 34 full flat-bed seats with direct-aisle access in Delta One, 32 in Delta Comfort+ and 168 in Main Cabin.
  • HNL-HND will be operated using Delta’s Boeing 767-300ER. This fleet type is currently being retrofitted with a new cabin interior and in-flight entertainment system.
Old May 16, 2019, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Somewhat shocked DL got 5 slots for ATL/DTW/SEA/PDX/HNL to HND but good news for DL. Going to guess this will be the final nail in the coffin for NRT**. I'm also going to guess that this meals the end of DL's service to MNL and SIN - I guess SkyTeam passengers will have to transit via ICN (or PVG or perhaps even TPE). I wonder how quickly DL will get improve the lounge situation at HND now.
ETA: **The end of DL's operations at NRT

Will there be another announcement or bidding cycle for Japanese carriers?

Last edited by ATOBTTR; May 16, 2019 at 6:06 pm Reason: Edited for clarity
Old May 16, 2019, 6:01 pm

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Going to guess this will be the final nail in the coffin for Delta's operation at NRT. I'm also going to guess that this meals the end of DL's service to MNL and SIN - I guess SkyTeam passengers will have to transit via ICN (or PVG or perhaps even TPE).
I added 3 words in bold (which I think is what you meant anyway). I would say these guesses are virtually certain
Old May 16, 2019, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by kjnangre
I added 3 words in bold (which I think is what you meant anyway). I would say these guesses are virtually certain
Yes, you are correct. I was strictly referring to DL. I'll also be curious to see how AA and UA's ops at NRT evolve as well given their situation is different than DL's with having partners at NRT.
Old May 16, 2019, 8:36 pm

Programs: Marriott, IHG, Delta, United
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
Yes, you are correct. I was strictly referring to DL. I'll also be curious to see how AA and UA's ops at NRT evolve as well given their situation is different than DL's with having partners at NRT.
I fully expect that AA is soon to be done at NRT as well. Obviously there aren’t going to be any NRT-USA flights on AA metal, and frankly I don’t know if JL will have any left next summer either.

WIth 6 additional new HND-USA slots (likely) being awarded to JL, plus the existing slots they have, and now plus AAs new slots... it is a bit of a head scratcher to figure out where all the OneWorld flights from HND will go. Point being, they are going to have a hard enough time balancing out their HND allotment, and probably aren’t going to need to fly from NRT either.

I think there is a very decent chance that Star Alliance (plus a Hawaiian flight or two) are the only ones left offering USA-NRT flights next summer.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.