Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Here are the applications for flight slots at HND (12 slots available to US carriers):

UA (six slots requested)
HND - EWR/ORD/IAD/LAX/IAH/GUM
Application of United Airlines (508 pages)
Answer of United Airlines (154 pages) "United's proposal will make the best use of scarce Haneda slots and provide the greatest public benefits, and No other carrier has demonstrated the benefits of its proposals more than United"
Consolidated reply of United Airlines (148 pages) "Our proposal is best, and the other guys misrepresented the facts."

HA (three slots requested)
HND - HNL (3x daily)
Application of Hawaiian Airlines (118 pages)
Answer of Hawaiian Airlines (111 pages) "Why HA is best, here's what's wrong with DL's request, here's what's wrong with UA's request, and here's what's wrong with AA's request"
Consolidated Reply of Hawaiian Airlines (33 pages) "Our proposal is best, and here's what's wrong with DL, UA and AA's proposals"

AA (four slots requested)
HND - DFW/LAX/DFW/LAS (DFW is AA's first and third preference)
Application of American Airlines (135 pages)
Answer of American Airlines (106 pages) "Only AA adds competition, DL squanders scarce resources, and don't reward UA further"
Consolidated Reply of American Airlines (111 pages) "Here's why DFW, LAX and LAS should be selected, and UA's baseless attacks on AA distract from UA's poor proposal"

DL (six slots requested)
HND - SEA/DTW/ATL/PDX/HNL/HNL (HNL Is DL's fifth and sixth preference)
Application of Delta Air Lines (199 pages)
Answer of Delta Air Lines (90 pages) "DL's proposal maximizes public benefits, DL's proposal should be granted in full before UA, AA, and HA are considered, and DL deserves the slot times it has requested"
Reply of Delta Air Lines (75 pages) "Answers from UA, AA and HA underscore why DL's proposal should be granted in full, and B6's answer is irrelevant to this proceeding"

And the odd filing:
Answer of Jetblue Airways Corporation (6 pages) "If it is important for DOT to grant DL's application for slots at HND, it is equally important to allow JetBlue to enter LHR and AMS"
Print Wikipost

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Search this Thread

Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
If I was Singapore or Japan, I would force Trump to waive restrictions on foreign ownership of U.S. airlines for certain, U.S.-aligned countries as a price for their continued support and fidelity to America in the Asia-Pacific region. I'd then buy Hawaiian or Alaska and rapidly expand the footprint from Honolulu or Seattle.

Alaska really needs intra-East Coast or intra-East of the Mississippi service.
1) Those countries don’t have enough leverage to force anything of the sort.

2) It isn’t clear any of the Asian carriers have the kind of money to both buy out Alaska and expand it into a national airline.

3) I’m assuming the notion of taking HA national is some sort of joke?
Old Mar 2, 2019, 3:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by mnbp
Keep in mind - a big difference between NRT vs HND is that NRT is / was a major connecting hub, while HND is essentially O/D only. DL does offer the TIAT (airport) lounge for D1 passengers (only). Not sure even a maximum award of six additional flights/day would be enough to justify a DL SkyClub.
They'd have to figure out something if not a SkyClub. No way they could move the whole O&D operation to HND and not have a lounge solution for medallions -- it would be their only major business market without a lounge solution for medallions.

I could see a SkyTeam lounge or a SkyClub run by DL but intended to serve as the defacto SkyTeam lounge for their Asian airline partners plus AF (who currently sends people to JL lounges I believe)
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by pbarnette

1) Those countries don’t have enough leverage to force anything of the sort.

2) It isn’t clear any of the Asian carriers have the kind of money to both buy out Alaska and expand it into a national airline.

3) I’m assuming the notion of taking HA national is some sort of joke?
A tie-up between Hawaiian and Jet Blue would work well.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:55 pm

Does Tokyo need two airports considering the rapid downward spiral of Japan's demographics?
There is no way they would close NRT. The local economy has surged Fuentes to the airport and jobs created. Despite the huge protest before building the airport, likewise, there would be a protest to close it because of the economic benefits it has brought the region.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
A tie-up between Hawaiian and Jet Blue would work well.
Not really.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 6:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Does Tokyo need two airports considering the rapid downward spiral of Japan's demographics?
At over 37 million people, Tokyo is literally the largest metro area in the world. I’m sure it’ll be able to sustain two airports for quite a while if many other metro areas smaller than it (and sometimes less wealthy populations) can sustain 2 or 3 or 4 or more airports servicing the city.
Old Mar 2, 2019, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, one-time United Plat, Amex Plat, Marriott Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, Bus Pass
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR

At over 37 million people, Tokyo is literally the largest metro area in the world. I’m sure it’ll be able to sustain two airports for quite a while if many other metro areas smaller than it (and sometimes less wealthy populations) can sustain 2 or 3 or 4 or more airports servicing the city.
Moreover, while rural Japan is depopulating, Tokyo is still growing rapidly.
hockeyinsider likes this.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 2:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
The issue of Japan's domestic demographics is irrelevant when it's seeing so much growth in inbound tourism. Just guestimating here, but if Haneda were to internationalize once more after this (i.e. adding another 25-50 slots for international flights), it might even make it the busiest airport in the world.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:23 am

Aren’t the replies supposed to be today (3/7)?
Will they be updated on this page once they’re out?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
You can go right to the DOT docket.

https://www.regulations.gov/searchRe...p=true&ns=true

Comments filed as recently as today can be found there.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL 1MM Annual Silver,AS 100K 22-24, AS 75K 15-21
Originally Posted by 3Cforme

So much drama already, with Delta swinging against United.....and JetBlue? (commenting on DL's request, and Jetblue's Access to AMS and LHR) Grab the popcorn.....for a long feud.

Jiburi
Old Mar 7, 2019, 12:15 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme

I’m not seeing the allocation results though. Aren’t they supposed to be released today?
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:20 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by jiburi
So much drama already, with Delta swinging against United.....and JetBlue? (commenting on DL's request, and Jetblue's Access to AMS and LHR) Grab the popcorn.....for a long feud.

Jiburi
It's not drama, it's competition. That's the very foundation of our economic system.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 3:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by Tomo12

I’m not seeing the allocation results though. Aren’t they supposed to be released today?
Wiki updated with "Reply" documents. Expect DOT to decide sometime in the next two to four months.
ryw likes this.
Old Mar 7, 2019, 4:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by kjnangre
It's not drama, it's competition. That's the very foundation of our economic system.
It's not economic competition any more than entering a high school essay contest is economic competition. A DOT slot application is lawyering.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.