Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 21, 2019, 2:36 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: mnbp
Here are the applications for flight slots at HND (12 slots available to US carriers):

UA (six slots requested)
HND - EWR/ORD/IAD/LAX/IAH/GUM
Application of United Airlines (508 pages)
Answer of United Airlines (154 pages) "United's proposal will make the best use of scarce Haneda slots and provide the greatest public benefits, and No other carrier has demonstrated the benefits of its proposals more than United"
Consolidated reply of United Airlines (148 pages) "Our proposal is best, and the other guys misrepresented the facts."

HA (three slots requested)
HND - HNL (3x daily)
Application of Hawaiian Airlines (118 pages)
Answer of Hawaiian Airlines (111 pages) "Why HA is best, here's what's wrong with DL's request, here's what's wrong with UA's request, and here's what's wrong with AA's request"
Consolidated Reply of Hawaiian Airlines (33 pages) "Our proposal is best, and here's what's wrong with DL, UA and AA's proposals"

AA (four slots requested)
HND - DFW/LAX/DFW/LAS (DFW is AA's first and third preference)
Application of American Airlines (135 pages)
Answer of American Airlines (106 pages) "Only AA adds competition, DL squanders scarce resources, and don't reward UA further"
Consolidated Reply of American Airlines (111 pages) "Here's why DFW, LAX and LAS should be selected, and UA's baseless attacks on AA distract from UA's poor proposal"

DL (six slots requested)
HND - SEA/DTW/ATL/PDX/HNL/HNL (HNL Is DL's fifth and sixth preference)
Application of Delta Air Lines (199 pages)
Answer of Delta Air Lines (90 pages) "DL's proposal maximizes public benefits, DL's proposal should be granted in full before UA, AA, and HA are considered, and DL deserves the slot times it has requested"
Reply of Delta Air Lines (75 pages) "Answers from UA, AA and HA underscore why DL's proposal should be granted in full, and B6's answer is irrelevant to this proceeding"

And the odd filing:
Answer of Jetblue Airways Corporation (6 pages) "If it is important for DOT to grant DL's application for slots at HND, it is equally important to allow JetBlue to enter LHR and AMS"
Print Wikipost

DOT starts new proceeding for added HND slots

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8, 2019, 5:39 pm

Programs: UA Gold Marriott Gold AA Gold Choice Gold Wyndham PLAT IHG PLAT Avis President's Club Amtrak Select
This is it for NRT. Delta will just four of the twelve slots to exit NRT entirely. I expect them to apply for six and receive five. DTW/ATL/SEA-HND are all a given, no debate there. I would be shocked if they did NOT apply for JFK-HND. JAL/ANA already fly JFK-HND, so makes little sense for Delta to continue to sit out NYC-TYO. Remember when Bastian stated that they exited JFK-NRT as they couldn't compete with ANA/JAL on JFK-HND? Time to prove if he was serious on that point. I think Delta will apply for PDX/HNL-HND as well. If Delta applies for PDX-HND and its approved, Delta will likely keep a long term monopoly on the route. Its the single largest international O&D market ex-PDX and its silly if Delta wanted to leave it to ANA or JAL.

Its more likely Delta will fly PDX-HND, if approved, than HNL-HND and here is why. Delta is ending HNL-FUK in May. (Hard to believe they lasted this long considering the pounding on yields they've taken on HNL-Japan over the past six years.) Next year ANA will be flying A380s on HNL-NRT/HND. With the new HND slots, HAL will probably receive an additional flight and they'll have to amend some HND flying as they have the night time slot but, due to geography, it matters little. So HAL will be flying double daily HNL-HND and a daily KOA-HND. Assuming DOT approves the HAL/JAL JV, HAL will likely drop the NRT flight. They only added it as they couldn't receive another HND slot. Considering all of this, Delta MAY look for an exit for HNL-Japan flying. With the large scale 767 retirement starting next year, Delta has already parked two aircraft, it makes sense for Delta to cut and run out of HNL-Japan. If Delta DOES apply for HNL-HND, given ANA going A380 on HNL-HND and HAL going double daily on HNL-HND, hard to see the DOT rejecting such a request.

My prediction is Delta will end up flying JFK/DTW/ATL/SEA/PDX-HND.

Last edited by Longboater; Feb 8, 2019 at 5:58 pm
Old Feb 8, 2019, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by Longboater
Its more likely Delta will fly PDX-HND, if approved, than HNL-HND and here is why. Delta is ending HNL-FUK in May. (Hard to believe they lasted this long considering the pounding on yields they've taken on HNL-Japan over the past six years.) Next year ANA will be flying A380s on HNL-NRT/HND. With the new HND slots, HAL will probably receive an additional flight and they'll have to amend some HND flying as they have the night time slot but, due to geography, it matters little. So HAL will be flying double daily HNL-HND and a daily KOA-HND. Assuming DOT approves the HAL/JAL JV, HAL will likely drop the NRT flight. They only added it as they couldn't receive another HND slot. Considering all of this, Delta MAY look for an exit for HNL-Japan flying. With the large scale 767 retirement starting next year, Delta has already parked two aircraft, it makes sense for Delta to cut and run out of HNL-Japan. If Delta DOES apply for HNL-HND, given ANA going A380 on HNL-HND and HAL going double daily on HNL-HND, hard to see the DOT rejecting such a request.
This is certainly possible, and would be really horrible, having so many options for connecting to Asia, Europe and Australia all disappear, if DL were to pull out of NRT, NGO and KIX all three (now after having pulled out of FUK).

HNL-FUK was canceled with less than 4 months notice, and the local ground staff are shocked and surprised, as the flights are routinely full in Y and J (all paid J), and at a hefty premium price. If DL can't make money given the high fares it is charging (esp. given the substandard, beat up and dirty 767s it flies), something is really wrong within the company operationally.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Would be sad to see SIN go away but if this happens at a minimum we better see a SC or a good ST lounge at HND.

That to me is one of the biggest downsides about wholesale closing of NRT -- and it impacts a big swath of customers since it's a genuine SC
Old Feb 8, 2019, 7:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
There is no way DL completely relocates to HND without a new lounge arrangement in place. They can barely get away with it today, but if every flight moved to HND, DL would have to bite the bullet on lounge access. It would be by far their most important destination in the world without one.

Not sure where exactly they could build an additional lounge at this point, however. ANA is planning to move its international flights over to T2, so maybe they won't need their second lounge and DL or another ST carrier can take over. Another thing I can possibly see is CX closing their HND lounge. I have no idea why that exists when JL already has three fantastic lounges, including an F lounge. It's never been busy when I've gone in there.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 9:22 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
There is no way DL completely relocates to HND without a new lounge arrangement in place. They can barely get away with it today, but if every flight moved to HND, DL would have to bite the bullet on lounge access.
DL has been operating with its "third party lounge" rules for years now. They have a solution for J pax, and clearly the lack of lounge for non-J STE+ on DL metal has not been a significant disincentive to their operations anywhere, let alone at HND (where if it really mattered to drive business as the third place US incumbent DL would already have a better lounge arrangement to improve its competitive situation).

Don't get me wrong, I think DL's third party rule is terrible (and I personally typically don't fly DL INTL in Y for this reason amongst others)... I just think there is every possibility that DL shifts to HND without a new lounge arrangement (and the only way that changes is if SkyTeam decides to open a lounge there).
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:07 pm
Suspended

Programs: AS DL
Originally Posted by jrkmsp

Current NRT service:
HA: HNL 1x
AA: ORD, DFW, LAX all 1x
UA: ORD, DEN, HNL, IAH, LAX, EWR, SFO, IAD all 1x and GUM 3x

Could this mean the end of NRT for UA or AA? What if AA gets only 2 of 3. Are they going to have a single daily flight from NRT, maybe to LAX? UA has many flights so they will probably still have HND and NRT stations.
Old Feb 8, 2019, 11:42 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by bennos
DL has been operating with its "third party lounge" rules for years now. They have a solution for J pax, and clearly the lack of lounge for non-J STE+ on DL metal has not been a significant disincentive to their operations anywhere, let alone at HND (where if it really mattered to drive business as the third place US incumbent DL would already have a better lounge arrangement to improve its competitive situation).

Don't get me wrong, I think DL's third party rule is terrible (and I personally typically don't fly DL INTL in Y for this reason amongst others)... I just think there is every possibility that DL shifts to HND without a new lounge arrangement (and the only way that changes is if SkyTeam decides to open a lounge there).
HND has two flights a day at the moment. That's enough to get away with the rule. If we end up with as many as 8 or 9 flights on DL from HND, the scale will simply be unprecedented. They will definitely do something.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 3:29 am

Programs: DL Gold
Besides the sure bids of HND - ATL/SEA/DTW/PDX and maybe HNL and JFK, could DL steal another pair if they commit to restart SFO to Tokyo? This definitely will strengthen Skyteam's exposure in the Bay area.

​​​Also in the order, DOT rejects DL's motion last year for US gateway flexibility, citing that will introduce a complex and controversial element to DOT's standard of approach.
​​​

Last edited by hsnu84053; Feb 9, 2019 at 5:33 am
Old Feb 9, 2019, 9:43 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by bennos

DL actually felt the pain enough to exempt HND and permit Y passengers into lounges for a year or so... so this is an issue that someone was concerned was materially affecting bookings. They let that expire, but I suspect that if the scope of flights there increases, we’ll see an effort to get a SkyTeam lounge built eventually. Probably not a Delta Sky Club, though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
I don't see Delta wasting a precious HND slot on PDX. A route that they ran away from a few years ago. At some point JAL or ANA will start PDX then DL will be screwed having to split the traffic on its already worst performing Tokyo route.

ATL, MSP, DTW, LAX, SEA, HNL and maybe JFK is my prediction.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:30 am

Programs: AS MVPG, DL FO, Marriott Gold, Hertz 5 Whatevers
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
I don't see Delta wasting a precious HND slot on PDX. A route that they ran away from a few years ago. At some point JAL or ANA will start PDX then DL will be screwed having to split the traffic on its already worst performing Tokyo route.

???

DL still flies PDX-NRT. They definitely ran away from JFK-NRT though.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 11:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by ab2013
???

DL still flies PDX-NRT. They definitely ran away from JFK-NRT though.
You should brush up on your Delta history. They ran away from PDX around 2010 until the airport threw some money at them to come back. You don't run away from a profitable flight.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

The issue is, I think they are more likely to get PDX than JFK if they ask - DOT will prioritize underserved markets over existing popular ones, even if the business case is weaker.

If DL doesn’t get a slot for PDX, though, I expect PDX-NRT to convert to a PDX-ICN flight. Not ideal for the corporate O&D traffic they currently serve to Japan, but the economics of the route should be much more viable with a vibrant KE connecting hub on the other side; it’s not like PDX residents have a lot of alternatives anyway.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by hsnu84053
...could DL steal another pair if they commit to restart SFO to Tokyo?
​​​
I don't know why they would bother with SFO-HND O & D traffic. DL killed SFO-NRT (in 2014) when it still ran a good number of NRT connections.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat

You should brush up on your Delta history. They ran away from PDX around 2010 until the airport threw some money at them to come back. You don't run away from a profitable flight.
You should brush up on your FAA route subsidy rules. Subsidies can't continue more than 24 months. If PDX-NRT weren't making a meaningful contribution it would have been killed years ago.
ab2013 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.