Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Effective March 1, 2018, Enhanced Requirements Service/Support Animals

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:28 am

Programs: Delta Plat
Since Technically humans are Animals, can't my support animal be a friend or family member?
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:33 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA

Not sure, but I have a great idea for what to do with the emotional support turkey come November... 🦃
Maybe Trump could pardon it.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:33 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Because it is widely reported
everyone knows there's a problem because everyone says there's a problem.

If your friends are getting letters then this change isn't going to affect them.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:46 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by pvn
If your friends are getting letters then this change isn't going to affect them.
I don't think you or anyone else can know that. Right now the letters are not verified at all, you just have to show it to the check in agent. DL does not do anything with that information, so it is entirely easy and possible to just create a letter yourself. Also, there are online services that generate letters for people, and who knows how legitimate those mental health providers are.

The new policy requires that pax submit a Delta created form, not some pre-generated letter, filled out by the provider. Delta has also indicated they are creating a new support desk for this. What we don't know is if this means that DL will now take the time to verify all or at least audit some of the letters to ensure that the mental/medical providers listed are actually licensed providers and that they (not the pax) actually filled out the form. The fact that Delta requires 48 hours notice suggests this is at least a possibility.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 11:52 am

Finally. Thank you Delta.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
So the new requirements are a health certificate submitted 48 hours in advance, as well as a self-certified confirmation of training? Yeah, that's going to stop people from abusing the emotional support animal system...
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by kilbornr
Pets are currently allowed in the SC. They just have to remain in their carriers, the same as on the plane.
Is this a new thing ? I remember seeing recently a (I assume) distressed passenger parading her support dog back and fort the cabin aisle. Many "air support" dogs I have seen are way too large to fit in a carrier.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:02 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by javabytes
So the new requirements are a health certificate submitted 48 hours in advance, as well as a self-certified confirmation of training? Yeah, that's going to stop people from abusing the emotional support animal system...

At minimum, it creates better conditions for DL (and other pax) to take legal action against pax whose animals cause problems.
susanc likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:04 pm
pvn
Suspended

I don't think you or anyone else can know that. Right now the letters are not verified at all, you just have to show it to the check in agent. DL does not do anything with that information, so it is entirely easy and possible to just create a letter yourself. Also, there are online services that generate letters for people, and who knows how legitimate those mental health providers are.

The new policy requires that pax submit a Delta created form, not some pre-generated letter, filled out by the provider. Delta has also indicated they are creating a new support desk for this. What we don't know is if this means that DL will now take the time to verify all or at least audit some of the letters to ensure that the mental/medical providers listed are actually licensed providers and that they (not the pax) actually filled out the form. The fact that Delta requires 48 hours notice suggests this is at least a possibility.
Well, yeah, that's sort of my point. There's no evidence that there is widespread forgery of these documents. It's so simple to get a legit one that forging one would be extremely dumb.

At minimum, it creates better conditions for DL (and other pax) to take legal action against pax whose animals cause problems.
This policy will not change anything with respect to ability to sue someone who brings a dangerous animal on a plane.

Originally Posted by thesaints
Is this a new thing ? I remember seeing recently a (I assume) distressed passenger parading her support dog back and fort the cabin aisle. Many "air support" dogs I have seen are way too large to fit in a carrier.
For the purposes of this conversation, "pets" and "ESAs" are distinct. Pets have to be in carriers, ESAs do not.

Last edited by Canarsie; Jan 19, 2018 at 2:36 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by pvn
For the purposes of this conversation, "pets" and "ESAs" are distinct. Pets have to be in carriers, ESAs do not.
I suggest that the issue is the (seemingly exponential) growth in the number of passengers attempting to designate their pet as an ESA
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
How are you determining if someone needs an animal or not? Because currently, a credentialed medical professional is making that determination and in each case has decided that it is in fact needed.
I'm sure it's all legitimate and no one is fudging they need an ESA.

https://www.google.com/search?q=emotional+support+animal+letter&oq=emotio nal+suppo&aqs=chrome.4.0l5j69i57.5030j0j7&sourceid =chrome&ie=UTF-8
KBMIFlyer and altabello like this.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:19 pm
pvn
Suspended

The people selling those are almost always credentialed professionals
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:26 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by pvn
Well duh. Never claimed they weren't.
They are also paper mills handing out ESA's to anyone willing to pay them. All you have to di is fill out their questionaire and whether they actually have a valid reason for needing an ESA one will be issued. Anyne can get one.

Last edited by apodo77; Jan 19, 2018 at 12:38 pm
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
Just like all those handing out marijuana prescriptions are.
Old Jan 19, 2018, 12:39 pm
bdh

Programs: DL PM, UA PM
Originally Posted by Flaflyer
Great. Now what am I supposed to do with my now unemployed Emotional Support Llama?
You'd be shocked at how compact llamas can be. One time I was in the parking lot for a trail head after getting back from a hike when a van pulls up. The sliding door opens and out come 3 full grown llamas. It was like a clown-car trick, but llamas. I would have thought for 3 llamas you'd need a horse trailer at least, but nope, just 1 van. They fold up their legs to crouch down and duck their heads low. You get 3 seats together in one row, I bet you could fit a llama on a plane...
1readyset2go likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.