Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Aug 3, 2018, 9:29 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I'm sitting in 1C on a 75S, 2B is standing in the aisle trying to broker a swap between 2A and his buddy further back in the cabin but 2A is with 1A/B/D and they want to remain close together.

I prefer a window anyway, and take the risk of intruding (OMGeavesdropper evil blah blah blah) to see what's on offer: 4A. So I move there, the family gets all of row 1, the buddies get 2A/B, and I get my window, so all 5 people involved are happier (exchanged small talk with 4B who doesn't seem to care either way).

​​Amazing what can happen when people aren't antisocial and don't mind "impositions"
hurnik, Weekend Away and altabello like this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 8:38 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Amazing what can happen when people aren't antisocial and don't mind "impositions"
Try swapping meals with them and see how that goes
strickerj likes this.
Old Aug 3, 2018, 10:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Not as a paid passenger. I don't know the routines for Delta employees or non-Delta non-revs. (I've seen a FedEx non-rev on a Delta Connection flight sent to the jump seat so I could have 4D.)
Nonrevs get seat assignments before being allowed to board. (Clearing them to board is assigning a seat.)
Old Oct 7, 2018, 8:07 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
I get an at the gate upgrade to C+, the dreaded "hope it isn't a middle seat" ticket prints out upon scanning my boarding pass. Luckily MD-88 so less chance of a middle.

Anyway I arrive at my newly assigned seat. A young lady is already sitting there trying to ignore everyone and had the giant headphones on. I am trying to ask her if that is her seat, when she finally acknowledges me, she looks at my slip and says yep, that's my seat and looks super annoyed I bothered her. So as I have already held up the line, and dread swimming upstream I head for the FA in the back. I tell him my story. He swims upstream and tells me he will motion for me after resolving the issue. A few moments later he holds up the line and motions for me to come forward. As I get close he tells me nobody is in my seat. Then I see her in Main cabin about 4 rows back, purposely not looking in my direction.

It could have been an honest mistake, but who knows. I just hate the FA was annoyed with me because she didn't want to bother to check her boarding pass while I was standing right there.
Osmo likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:18 am

Programs: Delta marriott
Unhappy Am I the only one sick of being asked to switch my seat ?

Am I the only one sick of being asked to swich my seat?
Sorry I booked an aisle seat because I want an aisle seat and I do not to switch it for a window seat!
Yes I understand there are times like if a child needs to sit with his parents I understand however I am being asked too many times to switch my seat!
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:37 am

Look less approachable? I can’t say I’ve had an issue with this, but maybe it’s just luck. Or maybe it’s my noise cancelling headphones...
Grog, sdadept, M2578Z and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:39 am

Programs: DL PM, HH Plat, National Executive
Agreed, my Bose means no's. Never been bothered with those on - hit my head before my butt hits the seat.
Grog, rucksack and Flyinlion1000 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Is this other passengers or is it gate agents/FAs? Two different problems that have different solutions.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:51 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
I usually buy BE tickets, I usually fly alone and I'm usually in the air less than 2 hours; thus I really don't really care where I sit. I trade any time I'm asked.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
Being asked by whom? I don't think a Delta/Northwest FA or GA has asked me to switch seats three times in over 1,500 flights.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 11:59 am

Programs: DL PM 2 Mil Miler, HZ PC, Marriott LT TI, AMB, Hilton Diamond
Pretty sure OP is is talking about other passengers asking him to switch.
Flyinlion1000 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Being asked by whom? I don't think a Delta/Northwest FA or GA has asked me to switch seats three times in over 1,500 flights.
Yes.. in my experience they just move you without being asked.

Hasn't happened much to me lately but I was on a streak for a while where I got moved 7-8 times over the course of a few months without consultation.
strickerj likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
I don't mind if asked politely and being asked to trade like-for-like. Have an upcoming flight with Mrs. Lee where her ticket was booked much later, and there weren't two seats together anymore. So, I'll be asking 25C if they'd be okay trading for my 24C. Same aisle, one row up, and they can recline into me all they'd like. If they say no, then I guess we'll try 24A for 25A, or we'll just fly apart.

But I'd much rather have someone ask me than just show up and have them all settled into my seat because they wanted to be with their spouse, friend, coworker, emotional support rabbit, whatever, and then point me to their middle seat 75 rows back.
BearX220, Grog, bbbb and 3 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by ethernal
Is this other passengers or is it gate agents/FAs? Two different problems that have different solutions.
Other passengers and it happens all the time. The worst was a lady who got upgraded at the last minute as a companion she boarded the plane first then insisted that she sit with her husband and filled the overhead bins with their luggage leaving me only space several rows back. I explained nicely that I like the aisle and I would be more than happy to switch aisle for aisle since I like to get up during my flight and she made a noise at me and continued to ask until she found someone to switch with her.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 12:10 pm

short flight it dont really matter as much it is the long hauls that I don”t like having to climb over someone who is sleeping if I want to get up

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.