Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:05 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
Oh, it is an imposition of pressure..the pressure of social expectations, the pressue of a guilt trip, the pressure of an audience, the pressure we instinctively feel at "seeming like a jerk", the perssure of conforming to norms of courtesy by never saying no and always helping, the pressue of triggering an undesireable confrontation. It's not a neutral question in a vacum.
I guess you'll just need to grow as a human being and learn to say "no" and move on with your day because there's no way you can pre-emptively stop people from asking.

If you instinctively feel like a jerk at saying no, maybe do a little self-reflection. Maybe find a less jerky way to say no. It's really not that hard.
SamOF likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:07 am
pvn
Suspended

Originally Posted by kop84
[*]We are adults
assumes facts not in evidence
wrp96 and kop84 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by pvn
assumes facts not in evidence
TBH I only wanted an excuse to use the word Fiefdom
BadgerBoi, wrp96 and pvn like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 11:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
I guess you'll just need to grow as a human being and learn to say "no" and move on with your day because there's no way you can pre-emptively stop people from asking.

If you instinctively feel like a jerk at saying no, maybe do a little self-reflection. Maybe find a less jerky way to say no. It's really not that hard.
As I said, I say no on principle. It's not a problem to say no. The problem is the headache of having to do it..it's not a major disaster, but it is a cause for groaning. Like when someone takes up the cashier's time with chit chat while the line piles up, or when people decide to congregate at the end of the escilator and block others, or when panhandlers want someothing for nothing because...well, just because.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Had someone ask me to switch last night, gave up my aisle for their window so he could sit "with the person he was traveling with". He sits down and no one sits next to him... 10 minutes or so later a woman boards and takes the seat next to him. They exchange some pleasantries (literally less than 10 seconds) and he then puts on his Bose headset and they didn't say one word to each other for the remainder of the flight. I'm not even sure they knew each other, lol... I try to be accommodating but I'm not a fan of window seats, it's why I book aisles.

To end my long story, the next time someone asks, the answer will be no unless they have an aisle seat.
wrp96, IndyHoosier and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by krlcomm
Had someone ask me to switch last night, gave up my aisle for their window so he could sit "with the person he was traveling with". He sits down and no one sits next to him... 10 minutes or so later a woman boards and takes the seat next to him. They exchange some pleasantries (literally less than 10 seconds) and he then puts on his Bose headset and they didn't say one word to each other for the remainder of the flight. I'm not even sure they knew each other, lol... I try to be accommodating but I'm not a fan of window seats, it's why I book aisles.

To end my long story, the next time someone asks, the answer will be no unless they have an aisle seat.
This. They lie. Usually by omission (their seat has dried barf, or is next to a customer of size, or infront of a fidgety 3 year old ) but also by fabrication, making up companions they don't have, medical conditions they don't suffer from, or offering aisles when they actually have middles. Not all the time, but often enough to warrant caution.

It's easier just to say no.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by krlcomm

This sounds like a new scam: ask to switch seats so that yo can be seated next to someone you're traveling with when you're really traveling alone and just want the other person's seat. Exchange a few words later with the person sitting next to you in your new better seat to give the impression that you know each other.
IndyHoosier and MarkP24 like this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:22 pm
pvn
Suspended

As I said, I say no on principle.
yeah but you later told on yourself so we know you were... exaggerating when you said that.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 12:22 pm

Programs: DL PM
Very seriously and with a look of real regret, “Oh, I’d love to, but I can’t.” Watch confused look. Can’t? What? If they dare to ask why not, with your best OMG face, “Trust me, you don’t want to know.” Then go back to whatever you were doing. Give them something to think about while they’re looking for someone else to annoy.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 1:50 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by HMO
A not very nice way to call the non-frequent flyers in coach.

A pun with cattle
I believe it originated as a reference to Ma and Pa Kettle.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ma_and_Pa_Kettle

Getting back to the topic, it just now occurred to me to wonder -- these posters for whom it's such an incredible imposition to have to answer a question with "no" and seem unable to answer a polite request* with a polite refusal without tying their insides into knots -- do they expect all of *their* requests to always be accommodated without fuss when they do bring themselves to ask? It would explain a lot.

*and I acknowledge that there are many rude requests based on lies that people make up to try to get people to swap, I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about people with genuine good-faith reasons to ask for a swap
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
, I'm not talking about those, I'm talking about people with genuine good-faith reasons to ask for a swap
I can't think of a good reason for anyone to ask anyone else for a swap. Or any good reason I should switch.

Serious issues, like being separated from an elderly and inform companion, or a toddler, should be directed at Airline staff, not at other pax.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:17 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
I can't think of a good reason for anyone to ask anyone else for a swap.
You've made that abundantly clear in the various threads we've had on this subject however other people obviously disagree, so even if YOU don't think those reasons are good, they're widely accepted as good by other people. Dislike it all you want (and you clearly do) but that's how things are. Sorry.

Or any good reason I should switch.
For the bajillion millionth time no one says you have to, so for the bajillion millionth time this is a total non sequitur.

So I'll ask you directly (oops, sorry, I'm imposing on you! but I'm genuinely curious, in the interest of better understanding someone else's mindset) -- when you have some desire that rises to whatever level you feel justifies your making an imposition on someone else to actually make a verbal request to them, do you feel like they are obligated to honor your request 100% or even close to 100% of the time?

i.e. to be clear about my question, do you only make requests as a last resort and when you feel that no reasonable person could possibly deny them, and restrain yourself from asking otherwise?
MarkP24 likes this.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 2:46 pm

I can't think of a good reason for anyone to ask anyone else for a swap. Or any good reason I should switch.

Serious issues, like being separated from an elderly and inform companion, or a toddler, should be directed at Airline staff, not at other pax.
So you've direct them to airline staff. Then the FA or GA come ask you to switch, but you've added an extra step for no real reason.

You do realize it's just a seat, and as soon as the flight is done it's someone else's seat. It seems that if you're so bothered by minimal contact with other people, then you should consider driving or flying private.
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:00 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Smile

Originally Posted by dalehill
Very seriously and with a look of real regret, “Oh, I’d love to, but I can’t.” Watch confused look. Can’t? What? If they dare to ask why not, with your best OMG face, “Trust me, you don’t want to know.” Then go back to whatever you were doing. Give them something to think about while they’re looking for someone else to annoy.
That's a great response!
Old Oct 19, 2018, 3:01 pm

Programs: UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Zorak
You've made that abundantly clear in the various threads we've had on this subject however other people obviously disagree, so even if YOU don't think those reasons are good, they're widely accepted as good by other people. Dislike it all you want (and you clearly do) but that's how things are. Sorry.

For the bajillion millionth time no one says you have to, so for the bajillion millionth time this is a total non sequitur.

So I'll ask you directly (oops, sorry, I'm imposing on you! but I'm genuinely curious, in the interest of better understanding someone else's mindset) -- when you have some desire that rises to whatever level you feel justifies your making an imposition on someone else to actually make a verbal request to them, do you feel like they are obligated to honor your request 100% or even close to 100% of the time?

i.e. to be clear about my question, do you only make requests as a last resort and when you feel that no reasonable person could possibly deny them, and restrain yourself from asking otherwise?
Beautifully said!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.