Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:41 pm

Programs: LH SEN, HH Gold
Originally Posted by Flyinlion1000
Other passengers and it happens all the time. The worst was a lady who got upgraded at the last minute as a companion she boarded the plane first then insisted that she sit with her husband and filled the overhead bins with their luggage leaving me only space several rows back. I explained nicely that I like the aisle and I would be more than happy to switch aisle for aisle since I like to get up during my flight and she made a noise at me and continued to ask until she found someone to switch with her.
Your original post led me to think the same people were recurringly asking you on subsequent flights. Sounds like it's individuals who don't know each other, hence no conspiracy.

As already suggested, simply take your seat and avoid eye contact or polite smiling until taxiing. If you feel you're attracting too many requests, there's something else going on. Or, with further contemplation, is this a cry for free seat reservations on all commercial airlines?
Old Oct 17, 2018, 1:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
When in F I don't care really. When in Y I like an aisle seat forward. I am happy to switch like-for-like (not to a middle seat, not to the back of the plane) to help another passenger / family out as long as they ask politely and do not act entitled. If I arrive and find someone already settled into my seat, though, no way am I cooperating. Get out of my seat.
Grog, gooselee, bretthexum and 1 others like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 2:55 pm
Suspended

I am. The more you fly, the more it happens.

I always say no, on principle. If you wanted this seat, you should have booked it. If you got upgrades, still hoping to sit together, count yourself lucky to be in F or CA at all. It won't kill you to be apart for a few hours. And if the gods of airtravel screwed you over with IRROPS or swaps through no fault of your own, you should consider yourself lucky to be on the plane at all. I am not going to play unite the couple..or even unite the kids with their parents. The crew can handle that.

Sure, I would swap if someone offered me a better seat...but as I am almost always in the exit row aisle in coach, it had better be an F or C seat and in 30 odd years of flying that has NEVER been the case. As a matter of fact, I have never even been offered a seat further forwards in the same cabin save for once..when the seat further forward was a middle and the guy wanted my aisle.

I know, I know..."common courtesy". Here's the thing, common courtesy is first and foremost not imposing on others to make your problem into theirs. Common courtesy is leaving people alone, and taking what you get.

And while many on internet boards will insist they have no problem being declined when they ask, in practice this is most certainly not apparent.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:42 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I always say no, on principle.

Sure, I would swap if someone offered me a better seat...
So you're not actually saying no "on principle"
Cotumely likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I am. The more you fly, the more it happens.

I always say no, on principle. .
On principle of what? Of course I wouldn't trade for a middle seat .... but come on.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:30 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Yeah I get annoyed too because I've never been asked "like for like".

When it's the person between my wife and I (we book aisle and window because it's what we want, not trying to game the system for an empty middle), usually I figure they're trying to help us out as much as get out of a middle; but only twice has someone been visibly upset when we both decline to be uncomfortable for a few hours.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 6:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Am I the only one sick of being asked to swich my seat?
Sorry I booked an aisle seat because I want an aisle seat and I do not to switch it for a window seat!
Yes I understand there are times like if a child needs to sit with his parents I understand however I am being asked too many times to switch my seat!
in close to 1000 flights i was asked maybe 5-10 time.. no biggie if it helped someone.. what are ur numbers - perhaps i am less approachable than you
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:21 pm

Sorry I booked an aisle seat because I want an aisle seat and I do not to switch it for a window seat!
Yes I understand there are times like if a child needs to sit with his parents I understand however I am being asked too many times to switch my seat!
Just say no.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:31 pm

Programs: Diamond Medallion, Delta Million Miler, Hyatt Globalist
I've not noticed an uptick tbh. But I'm almost always in bulkhead FC. Nobody seems to want this seat but me. On the bright side i'm almost always the first one off the plane with no waiting.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bretthexum
On principle of what? Of course I wouldn't trade for a middle seat .... but come on.
+1. The quoted poster has posted this before. Never can fully explain. Just argues principle.

Regardles, can we just go ahead and lock this thread. We've had multiple threads on topic, there's nothing new, and we end up arguing.
BearX220 and vbjd1111 like this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 7:57 pm

I was asked on two separate flights to change seats. As long as it’s window I am good.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 8:01 pm

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Diamond, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Yeah, I'm the same way. I just respond by saying, "As long as it's an aisle seat." Most of the time it isn't, but they seem to feel that's an acceptable answer rather than just, "No, I refuse to move on principle."
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:20 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
If you actually don't feel like you should for any reason, then why do you care? Just say no, politely, and move on.

Some people seem to get huffy when asked a question that requires them (or makes them want) to say no. I don't understand it—either it's a situation where you should say yes, in which case I suppose you should have feelings if you say no, or it's a situation where there's no need to say yes, in which case you say no. Neither should make you angry!
pvn likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
And some people get huffy or worse when they're told no in response to a request. Declining to switch seats is often (but not always) met with debates about one's reasons for declining (which has resulted in my never giving a reason beyond the fact that I picked *this* seat at the time that I purchased the ticket, with emphasis so that they understand that I'm not traveling on an upgrade), comments about all seats arriving at the same time, people traveling alone not understanding that couples need to be together (plus sometimes additional rude comments speculating about why one is traveling alone, where business trip isn't one of the choices), all seats being the same (they why do they insist on switching?) plus all of the passive-aggressive stuff like gathering one's belongs and moving to the original assigned seat as slowly and pointedly as possible, kicking the seat, or refusing to allow the person to easily get up to use the lavatory, etc. It doesn't usually end with a polite no and moving on IME but rather is only the beginning of an unpleasant experience.

BTW, my sense is that there are many more "reunite the couple" seat switch requests in FC (as well as outright seat poaching) since DL started giving travel companions elite status for priorities inherited from the other person on the PNR. Too many couples are getting free elite upgrades and then inconveniencing those customers who have paid for their FC seats (or earned the upgrade themselves).
Old Oct 17, 2018, 9:51 pm

Programs: DL DM, AA EXP, various hotel
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
And some people get huffy or worse when they're told no in response to a request. Declining to switch seats is often (but not always) met with debates about one's reasons for declining (which has resulted in my never giving a reason beyond the fact that I picked *this* seat at the time that I purchased the ticket, with emphasis so that they understand that I'm not traveling on an upgrade), comments about all seats arriving at the same time, people traveling alone not understanding that couples need to be together (plus sometimes additional rude comments speculating about why one is traveling alone, where business trip isn't one of the choices), all seats being the same (they why do they insist on switching?) plus all of the passive-aggressive stuff like gathering one's belongs and moving to the original assigned seat as slowly and pointedly as possible, kicking the seat, or refusing to allow the person to easily get up to use the lavatory, etc. It doesn't usually end with a polite no and moving on IME but rather is only the beginning of an unpleasant experience.

BTW, my sense is that there are many more "reunite the couple" seat switch requests in FC (as well as outright seat poaching) since DL started giving travel companions elite status for priorities inherited from the other person on the PNR. Too many couples are getting free elite upgrades and then inconveniencing those customers who have paid for their FC seats (or earned the upgrade themselves).
I can see how that would be mildly annoying, but if they're being rude, just ignore them.

That said—when I used the phrase polite no, I didn't mean a stony-faced declaration that you purchased your first class ticket and that they are inconveniencing you. I meant a warm smile, and something to the effect of "sorry! I'd prefer to keep [this seat/an aisle seat]"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.