Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2017, 7:57 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM/MM , IHG Plat, MR Titanium, HH Gold, EK Frequent Kettle, UA Silver, AA Hater
Originally Posted by S_D_P
Given that this will always happen to frequent flyers, sometimes it is good just to chuckle about it. My favorite experience was a few years ago. I boarded a flight departing from Zurich and was one of the first seated in J. I opened my Kindle and started reading, when an elderly lady came up and started speaking to me, but I had no idea what she was saying. So the woman seated in front of me turned around and told me that the older woman was speaking in German, and was telling me that she and her husband had been separated, and would I switch seats with one of them so they could sit together. I obliged. Gathered my things and moved to the other side of the aisle. Resettled my stuff, reopened my Kindle, started reading, when another guy comes up to me and, in French, asks if I might swap seats with him so he can sit with his wife. (At least I spoke French so got the gist of what was going on). I didn't care and had already been unsettled. So I gathered my things and moved one row back, restored my stuff, and got back to my book. Well, wouldn't you know it. Another woman comes up and addresses me in Italian! (Which I understood). She says that she and her young son were supposed to be seated together, but because we had an aircraft change, they were separated and. . .would I mind, blah, blah, blah. But at this point, everyone in J had already seen me switch seats so many times that all of the pax seated around me burst out laughing and cheering me on. When I took my fourth seat, the passenger I sat down next to joked that she didn't want to get too familiar because she assumed I would be moving yet again. And of course people all around leaned over and said I was being a really nice guy, especially for an American. So everyone ended up happy and I thought it was amusing. Ordinarily this stuff irritates me, but where else but Switzerland could one be asked to change seats in three different languages!
Good story! But does that mean I need to lean to say no in every language?
DiverDave likes this.
Old Nov 17, 2017, 11:09 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by S_D_P
Ordinarily this stuff irritates me, but where else but Switzerland could one be asked to change seats in three different languages!
How's your Romansch?

Perhaps my second favorite part of riding the Glacier so-called-Express (1st being the scenery of course) was all the announcements being given in four languages.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 11:04 am

When poaching first class - act disoriented

More seat poaching - MSP - STL on MD-90.
I boarded and took my seat in row 2, after about half the plane had boarded a sharply dressed gentleman came and took 1D (1C was already seated). FA asked him for PDB and he said he is fine with water.

Fast forward about 10 mins - boarding is complete and we are waiting for the door to close and in walks a lady who looks at 1D with a puzzled look and then talks to FA in the galley.
FA comes over and asks gentleman in 1D for his boarding pass and he acts disoriented, has trouble checking his pockets and then goes thru his carry on personal item which he still had by his feet but couldn't produce a BP
FA - "Do you remember your seat number?"
Gentleman - "I think row 28"

Mini eye roll from the lady and FA...his bags were over row 2 and FA was kind enough to allow him to keep his bags there.
I suspect he is a frequent flyer because very often delta keeps 1A and 1D open and he knew poaching those might be successful
Old Apr 16, 2018, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Originally Posted by jeet;29646557...
his bags were over row 2 and FA was kind enough to allow him to keep his bags there.
Not good -- there should be some consequence for a blatant seat-poach and self-upgrade attempt, even if it's just that he now has to take his chances on finding OHB space in his actual seat and cabin.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 2:16 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by jeet
More seat poaching - MSP - STL on MD-90.
I boarded and took my seat in row 2, after about half the plane had boarded a sharply dressed gentleman came and took 1D (1C was already seated). FA asked him for PDB and he said he is fine with water.

Fast forward about 10 mins - boarding is complete and we are waiting for the door to close and in walks a lady who looks at 1D with a puzzled look and then talks to FA in the galley.
FA comes over and asks gentleman in 1D for his boarding pass and he acts disoriented, has trouble checking his pockets and then goes thru his carry on personal item which he still had by his feet but couldn't produce a BP
FA - "Do you remember your seat number?"
Gentleman - "I think row 28"

Mini eye roll from the lady and FA...his bags were over row 2 and FA was kind enough to allow him to keep his bags there.
I suspect he is a frequent flyer because very often delta keeps 1A and 1D open and he knew poaching those might be successful
I hope that lady didn't have bags. Were it me, I would have spoken up to ensure the FA also told him to take his bags with him back to steerage. That bin space is for F pax.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I hope that lady didn't have bags. Were it me, I would have spoken up to ensure the FA also told him to take his bags with him back to steerage. That bin space is for F pax.
There was bin space available over row 2. All other pax were already seated - few with only carry-on item by their feet and lady's bags got into bins as well.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
My guess is the FA made a judgment call in that if all passengers who were in FC were now in their seats and all their carryons has been accommodated in the OH bin, that there was no point in chancing the seat poacher dragging his bag back to Y only to spend more time trying to find space for it or waste time having to gate check it. While the outcome is perhaps frustrating in that the seat poacher still somewhat “won” in their abuse of the system,, I can understand the FA’s logic in just telling the seat poacher to leave their bag for the greater good at that point.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Apr 16, 2018, 4:57 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
There are a lot of people who would rather have the plane delayed 10 minutes than to let a scofflaw get away with such a crime against humanity.
Old Apr 18, 2018, 9:09 pm

Programs: Delta Plat
I was on a SDQ JFK flight this evning, GA in SDQ boarded plane and said over the loudspeaker that swapping seats was against dominican republic aviation regulations and that no one should change or move seats . Probably BS as its the first time I heard that there, but then again its the DR.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:04 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
There are a lot of people who would rather have the plane delayed 10 minutes than to let a scofflaw get away with such a crime against humanity.
Damn straight..especially after the guy stole a PDB and poached bin space. HIS fault.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 2:38 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
Damn straight..especially after the guy stole a PDB and poached bin space. HIS fault.
And he wasn't just poaching a different seat in his cabin, he was trying to steal an upgrade.
ESPECIALROB likes this.
Old Apr 19, 2018, 9:44 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
My neighbor this morning was forced out of his original seat (aisle on the outside two, transcon 767) by a large passenger whose armrest wouldn't go down, who intruded well into his seat space.

Last edited by Syzygies; Apr 20, 2018 at 4:12 am
Old Apr 19, 2018, 10:47 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
So what's your plan to "disabuse them of this notion"???
Old Apr 20, 2018, 6:54 am

Flight attendants should inform Fatso they either pay for an additional seat or deplane. After the first time, they would stop taking advantage.
Silver Fox and RoyalSwazi like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:10 am

Programs: DL 2MM, Marriott LTT, Hilton Gold, United Silver
A few times, when my wife and I are traveling together and both got the gate upgrade (happened only when at least one of us was PM or DM), the seats are always separated and usually two window seats. Not a big deal - we've been married 25 years and can tolerate being a few meters apart for a couple of hours - we just take the assigned seats and have never asked to switch with anyone. However, more than once, the person in the aisle seat by one of us voluntarily offered to switch seats so we could sit together. Nice gesture that we appreciated. (We did accept the offer - hate to appear ungrateful.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.