Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:11 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Of course not, but if they both hold equal (high tier) status, I would expect that they travel enough alone

That seems like a bad assumption too. Some people earn high tier status purely on leisure travel.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:13 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by HMO
But in this case, they will also know that refusing a seat swap is OK. Their complaining didn't demonstrate it.
they who? MSP and jamesteroh were originally talking a couple that MSP assumed was one person with status and one without. Then the conversation switched to the situation where both people have status, which is what my comment was about.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:24 am

Programs: DL Million Miler
SAME SEAT (27J, exit row lotsa legroom on the A-330 transatlantic eastbound), two radically different experiences:

LAST SEPTEMBER: I check the seatmap - - the seat next to me, 27H is OPEN. Yay! Elbow room and a nightstand for my stuff. But a guy comes down the aisle staring at his boarding pass muttering, "31H ... 31H" - - but then he spots 27H and says - - "What a great seat!", stuffs his boarding pass into his jacket pocket, and plops down. He says - - "This is GREAT - - this is better than 1st class!". The FA comes along, and he chats up the FA, saying how happy he is to have such a great seat, and continues to be entirely too jovial and too effusive, in an edgy, nervous-making way. He puts his jacket on the floor and goes to the can - - and I am SO tempted to lift the boarding pass up and get a solid look at it, as proof of his malfeasance, but first I don't want to do anything dicey myself, and second this guy is so out-there, that I didn't feel totally safe trying to cross him. He returns, and after a couple minutes I quietly get out of my seat, and go back, and sit in 31H (the number he was muttering when he was coming down the aisle). Luckily, 31J was also empty. Once or twice the poacher turns around and sees me, just sitting there in 31H, staring at him. Eventually the door closes, and I keep 31HJ to myself, put up the armrest, and stretch out, and sleep like a baby.

YESTERDAY: I check the seatmap - - the seat next to me, 27H is OPEN. Yay! Elbow room and a nightstand for me stuff. Then the FA comes along, and says that she checked, and that seat next to me is not taken. I tell her that's what I saw on the seat map, and tell her my poacher tale from the last trip. She says she sees stuff like that all the time. She said she would make sure that nobody poached that seat, and thanks me for being a Plat and a Million Miler (she also saw that on the manifest). . Now THAT was some kind of angel.

Last edited by SpinzCity; Nov 28, 2018 at 6:30 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Dia, Avis Pres Club
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Had a seat poacher on my JFK/DTW flight sunday.

1C ended up switching with the wife and the guy was a DB complaining to his wife about how selfish some flyers could be and she was complaining because she had to get up with their infant to switch seats a second time after getting up to let 4D get in.

I wish I would have thought to have told them that if it was that important to sit together then find a couple in coach sitting together and I'm sure they would have been happy to swap out their seats together and sit apart for a 90 minute flight in First. I'm sure if only one had gotten upgraded they wouldn't have had an issue sitting apart. Stupid thing is she never even got up during the flight.
I was on an AA flight last fall with a paid FC seat, and I booked 1C. It was the same situation with parents in different seats, with a baby that boarded first, and poached my 1C. I spoke with the guy in 1C and he told me to take his window seat in 2. He said it was better than the bulkhead. I told him I paid extra to get the bulkhead, so insulting me was not going to help. I spoke with the lead FA and she said to take the window seat because she was not going to ask them to move since they have a baby and we were behind schedule. I told her that is not my fault that they took my seat, and it was they who is slowing down the process. I told her I would have a complaint filed before we land. As a side note, the gu in 1C watched a football game on his phone and did nothing to help his wife except to hold the baby when she went to the head.

Their attitude gives me less reason to put up with seat poachers.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 6:43 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Singleflyer
I was on an AA flight last fall with a paid FC seat, and I booked 1C. It was the same situation with parents in different seats, with a baby that boarded first, and poached my 1C. I spoke with the guy in 1C and he told me to take his window seat in 2. He said it was better than the bulkhead. I told him I paid extra to get the bulkhead, so insulting me was not going to help. I spoke with the lead FA and she said to take the window seat because she was not going to ask them to move since they have a baby and we were behind schedule. I told her that is not my fault that they took my seat, and it was they who is slowing down the process. I told her I would have a complaint filed before we land. As a side note, the gu in 1C watched a football game on his phone and did nothing to help his wife except to hold the baby when she went to the head.

I hope you did follow through with reporting this to AA. The FA's behavior was inappropriate, especially after you said that you had paid for the seat.

This is why poachers poach: it sometimes works.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by pvn
Or they travel enough to understand that asking for a seat swap is a totally normal thing that isn't a problem.
It's possible they had equal status. But in this case husband didn't ask for a seat swap he basically told me to take 1D. Also if they both travel a lot they should know enough not to put two roller bags, a purse and a diaper bag in the bin (and the FA is no better for allowing preboarders to get away with it). If they both travel a lot they should also have enough courtesy to not ask someone to swap 1D for 4A and instead ask 1c to swap 3C. I don't know anyone who would find 1D on an RJ with 1-2 seating to be a better seat than 4A but a lot of travelers would take 4C over 1C.

If it's the important for them to sit together they should have declined the upgrade when they noticed there were only two seats left that were apart or simply asked a couple sitting together in Y to swap.

Last edited by jamesteroh; Nov 28, 2018 at 8:19 am
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Singleflyer

I would have been demanding AA's version of a red coat in that situation. 1c is an aisle and while I don't like bulkheads in F, I'll take an aisle bulkhead over any window any time. And I get up a lot during the flight and if windows are the only seats left in F that is one situation where I prefer a bulkhead seat since I can get out of my seat in most cases without requiring my seat mate to get up.

Again if it was that important for the couple sitting together they should have declined the upgrade or did what you did and paid for first class at booking.

Even when I have a first class seat due to an upgrade it ticks me off when someone poaches the seat. In my case Sunday I was upgraded at the window and they were upgraded at the gate so I obviously had a higher status than they did since I was upgraded first and should have first selection of seats just lke someone paying for first should have priority over a selection of seat over me as an upgrade.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:01 am
HMO

Originally Posted by pvn
they who? MSP and jamesteroh were originally talking a couple that MSP assumed was one person with status and one without. Then the conversation switched to the situation where both people have status, which is what my comment was about.
I assumed you were still talking about jamesteroh tale only. My fault
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:30 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
It's possible they had equal status.
AGAIN, that comment wasn't about the couple with the baby, it was about a totally different hypothetical couple
Old Nov 28, 2018, 8:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I've heard from another Delta Forum Mod and we're going to let this thread take a break. It has evolved into quite the catalog of stories of entitlement and poor social skills. Be nice on the plane. Be courteous on FlyerTalk.

3Cforme - Delta Forum Moderator
SDQBound and kop84 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.