Originally Posted by Freckles68
Yes, and I was not telling that family to "get stuffed," as you put it,
nah, you weren't who I was subtweeting there

saying no is totally fine, even if you don't have a medical condition
MarkP24 and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 9:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
This is no different than basically every other contentious topic in this forum. You've got a bunch of people who basically think "well *I* personally don't care about X, therefore it's ridiculous than anyone else cares about X and those people deserve nothing" and then you have a bunch of people who actually understand that humans have different circumstances and preferences and have some empathy and decency.
What of the empathy and decency of not bothering your fellow travelers? What of the decency of accepting the seats you get and respecting the wishes of those who booked their seats in advance? What of the empathy and decency of not passing your problem onto others? What of the decency of not expecting everyone to accommodate you?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:00 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Asking you a question is not a violation of your human rights and is not "indecent."
ATOBTTR likes this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:06 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by pvn
Asking you a question is not a violation of your human rights and is not "indecent."
I agree pvn about the 'ask', but some passengers become indignant or pushy when a swap is denied, that's the indecency.
IndyHoosier and strickerj like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:07 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Gig103
I agree pvn about the 'ask', but some passengers become indignant or pushy when a swap is denied, that's the indecency.
IME it's more like most than some.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 10:08 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Everyone agrees that is indecent. That has never been under dispute.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 11:48 am
pvn
Suspended

nobody is disputing that getting indignant or pushy is rude. Proudelitist (and others!) doesn't differentiate, just the ask itself is a violation in his book.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
I didn't say "asking" and I did not mention human rights. That's histrionics on your part

I said "bothering". Bothering people is not a form of decency. Declining to bother people is a form of empathy, because you wouldn't want someone to bother you either.

I maintain that the ask itself is rude. It almost all circumstances it is a WANT not a NEED. A selfish want..a desire to sit with your companions because the thought of being apart for a few hours is some sort of horror. A want which should have been addressed at the time of booking. And if the fates ended up separating you, the mature, decent thing to do is be thankful you are on the plane and accept your lot. If you want some stranger to accommodate your wants, that's selfish. Needs can be addressed by an airline representative like the FA or GA.

These days, seats are almost always bookable in advance, so whomever you are asking has selected the seat they want and requesting a swap is not respecting that person's choice.

And from my view..I don't want to be bothered, guilt tripped, insulted, or contacted by other passengers and their problems. I am not interested. It is rude to expect others to accommodate your need to sit with companions in anything less than a true emergency situation simply because you want it. Decent, empathetic society recognizes that selfishness has no place.
strickerj likes this.

Last edited by Proudelitist; Oct 29, 2018 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:23 pm

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
I said "bothering". Bothering people is not a form of decency. Declining to bother people is a form of empathy, because you wouldn't want someone to bother you either.
Does your personal value system allow for different levels of "bother" or are they all the same?

All snark aside, I'd still be interested in a response to this question:

Originally Posted by Zorak
So I'll ask you directly (oops, sorry, I'm imposing on you! but I'm genuinely curious, in the interest of better understanding someone else's mindset) -- when you have some desire that rises to whatever level you feel justifies your making an imposition on someone else to actually make a verbal request to them, do you feel like they are obligated to honor your request 100% or even close to 100% of the time?

i.e. to be clear about my question, do you only make requests as a last resort and when you feel that no reasonable person could possibly deny them, and restrain yourself from asking otherwise?
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zorak
Does your personal value system allow for different levels of "bother" or are they all the same?

All snark aside, I'd still be interested in a response to this question:
It does. It varies with the circumstances and the request. And asking me to give up my pre-selected, extra revenue seat so you can be with a companion is quite a bother.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
I didn't say "asking" and I did not mention human rights. That's histrionics on your part

I maintain that the ask itself is rude. It almost all circumstances it is a WANT not a NEED. A selfish want..a desire to sit with your companions because the thought of being apart for a few hours is some sort of horror. A want which should have been addressed at the time of booking. And if the fates ended up separating you, the mature, decent thing to do is be thankful you are on the plane and accept your lot. If you want some stranger to accommodate your wants, that's selfish. Needs can be addressed by an airline representative like the FA or GA.

These days, seats are almost always bookable in advance, so whomever you are asking has selected the seat they want and requesting a swap is not respecting that person's choice.

And from my view..I don't want to be bothered, guilt tripped, insulted, or contacted by other passengers and their problems. I am not interested. It is rude to expect others to accommodate your need to sit with companions in anything less than a true emergency situation simply because you want it. Decent, empathetic society recognizes that selfishness has no place.
If I am in the aisle, and you are on the inside, have the decency to not “bother” me to get up to go the bathroom then. Your having to go to the bathroom is your problem, not mine.

If you are that bothered by your fellow humans even asking you something, forms of transportation in which you may or will have to engage with the public are not for you. And you are a minority in your preferences. FT is a minority - a vocal minority that can feel like an echo chamber for members of that minority, but a minority nonetheless. With DL transporting 180 million passengers a year, even if many of them are repeats, that’s a lot of different view points. Many people have different preferences than you. And they don’t know what your preferences are. Many people outside of FT would find it ridiculous or crazy to care about the things we on FT care about. That doesn’t make you wrong for caring about them but it is wrong to not understand that there are others who don’t care about the same things you do or prioritize the same things you do and most of the audience you are preaching to isn’t on FT to see your rants.
ijgordon and zeebanker like this.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by defrosted
A little DYKWIA thrown in there too. Nice.
I would of said... if you're such an important surgeon yiu know how important it is to follow the rules... now move over. Or, what does that have to do with anything.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 12:46 pm

It does. It varies with the circumstances and the request. And asking me to give up my pre-selected, extra revenue seat so you can be with a companion is quite a bother.
So the reason for asking, actually affects how much of a bother it is just to be asked? That just seems bizarre. If you'd said the amount of bother is the same but the reason affects your willingness to accept, I could understand that.

Your refusal to answer the question is noted. I was trying to actually have a dialogue this time, but oh well.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:09 pm
pvn
Suspended

I maintain that the ask itself is rude.
So... it wasn't "histronics". Give it a rest dude.
Old Oct 29, 2018, 1:10 pm
pvn
Suspended

IIt almost all circumstances it is a WANT not a NEED. A selfish want..a desire to sit with your companions because the thought of being apart for a few hours is some sort of horror.
This is 100% irrelevant, since it could equally be said of you pre-selecting your seat. It's based on what seat you want, not what you need.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.