Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2017, 5:45 pm

Originally Posted by dilbertsdaddy
She huffs and puffs and begins telling me how important she is, she is a surgeon, etc. I ignore her and unleash a snore fest on her for the next hour as punishment
"I'm big red fire engine. Now scram, Dr Quinn."
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Fleck
"I'm big red fire engine. Now scram, Dr Quinn."
Well, I'm a bus!
Old Nov 13, 2017, 6:29 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Maybe this seat poaching thing happens more on Saturdays...

I've been a victim of this before and have been the A Hole since for not swapping. But, like I mentioned in the other thread, the last time this came up I got a better F seat and I gladly swapped. If I had been assigned 4C and 4A wanted my seat to sit with her husband, I would not have moved...unless 4B was a very good looking woman. But, she was 4C and I had been assigned 4A.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:19 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
I love these posts whenever OP stands firm like today. Still, three for three in a day is annoying.

Originally Posted by yohanson
Maybe this seat poaching thing happens more on Saturdays...
I have no evidence to support your theory. But Saturdays are more likely to be leisure travelers. Those, without status, won't have access to preferred seating at booking, which on AA anyway means a middle seat until OLCI. Or they're buying BE seats and don't realize that the airlines go out of their way to separate those passengers.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 8:46 pm
In memoriam

Programs: DL 2MM, AA MM, DL Sky Club Life, AA Admirals Club Life, Hilton Gold Life
Originally Posted by s0ssos
Did you know a question is the stronger form of an attack?

How so?
othermike27 likes this.
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:49 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by yohanson
If I had been assigned 4C and 4A wanted my seat to sit with her husband, I would not have moved...unless 4B was a very good looking woman.
You're not doing yourself any favors here, you realize?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 9:54 pm

Programs: AA; Delta GM
Dear OP -

I read this thread to my other half with the opening remarks of 'y'know how people never believe us when we tell them something unusual (for most people) happened to us? well, this person is clearly a part of the unusual happenings tribe.'

Going back to the topic of wrong seats, though. When I was a very younger flyer, I had had a very long day which resulted in me honestly misreading the row number. I sat down in the seat behind my real seat. The seat's owner arrived and was huffy. (Back then I didn't know people did this on purpose.) I apologized profusely and took my correct seat in the row ahead of his.

There was one odd thing on a recent flight, though. I was seated in domestic first class. My other half was beside me. Our carryon bags were actually in the bins above our head! And a gentleman gets on and says he has to put his bag right where mine is, directly over my head. He didn't board with priority type boarding or first class. Someone asks him where he's seated, and he doesn't respond. He asks who owns the bag above me. I say it's mine. (Boarding is seriously backed up now because the man is holding up everything.)

He wants me to get up and move my bag. I said no, I wasn't moving my bag. There was plenty of bin space on the other side of first class as well as what I could see of coach.

Just then a flight attendant shows up and makes him move to his seat and place his carryon bag in coach where he's seated.

Why would someone insist on sitting in coach and having their bag in a specific spot in first class bins?
Old Nov 13, 2017, 10:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by ND76
I let the seat poachers win last November on a CVG-SEA segment; I had done the FCM and paid $288.00 above my cheap coach seat to sit in 4B, as F class was almost full 4 weeks in advance, and I most probably would not have gotten upgraded. I normally pick the window seat, but as this was a relatively long trip (4.5 hours in the air), I figured I would be getting up a couple of times.

It turned out that I was one of the last people to board the flight (short connection, quality visit to the SkyClub, that sort of thing), and when I get on, the FA directs me to 2B, as the former 2B is now sitting in my 4B, and his travel companion is in 4A. I was OK with it, particularly since the FA arranged for a quick PDB for me before the door closed.
On a like-for-like swap, I usually won't complain. You had an aisle and still got an aisle... and not a bulkhead, at that. I'm assuming Row 4 was the last row of FC, in which case I suspect they actually did you a favor with regard to the seat recline.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 12:00 am

Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Dear OP -

I read this thread to my other half with the opening remarks of 'y'know how people never believe us when we tell them something unusual (for most people) happened to us? well, this person is clearly a part of the unusual happenings tribe.'

Going back to the topic of wrong seats, though. When I was a very younger flyer, I had had a very long day which resulted in me honestly misreading the row number. I sat down in the seat behind my real seat. The seat's owner arrived and was huffy. (Back then I didn't know people did this on purpose.) I apologized profusely and took my correct seat in the row ahead of his.

There was one odd thing on a recent flight, though. I was seated in domestic first class. My other half was beside me. Our carryon bags were actually in the bins above our head! And a gentleman gets on and says he has to put his bag right where mine is, directly over my head. He didn't board with priority type boarding or first class. Someone asks him where he's seated, and he doesn't respond. He asks who owns the bag above me. I say it's mine. (Boarding is seriously backed up now because the man is holding up everything.)

He wants me to get up and move my bag. I said no, I wasn't moving my bag. There was plenty of bin space on the other side of first class as well as what I could see of coach.

Just then a flight attendant shows up and makes him move to his seat and place his carryon bag in coach where he's seated.

Why would someone insist on sitting in coach and having their bag in a specific spot in first class bins?
I met someone who "said" they did that, believing it meant for faster disembarking for them. No I don't get it either.
aquamarinesteph likes this.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 5:37 am

It is quite simple, ask nicely and offer me the same or better seat (I prefer aisles as it is easier to get up and stretch during flight and a smidge more leg/shoulder room because you have the aisle once carts are finished) and I will usually say yes. Not a Delta experience, but a FA on JetBlue really did it right. During boarding she had asked if I would swap to an aisle a few rows ahead. As I was seated I could not tell if there was overhead bin space so I asked. FA said yes and moved to the new row so nobody would take the overhead space until I moved my bag. She kept offering me whatever I wanted during the flight, but being a 10 AM departure where I would be arriving before 1 PM, I really wasn’t in the mood for alcohol.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 6:58 am

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by aquamarinesteph
Originally Posted by DragonSoul
I met someone who "said" they did that, believing it meant for faster disembarking for them. No I don't get it either.
I saw some "young punk" do exactly that for the same supposed reason the other day and proclaimed it loudly to his traveling companion for everyone to hear, in a watcha going to do about it tone as he made his way back to his no doubt middle seat in the back.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:11 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by GatorBlues

Here we go again. I swear, I'm staying out of it this time. But someone won't be able to resist. And then we'll be on the countdown to thread closing in 10, 9, . . .

By the way, original poster, every one of the issues you encountered involved a rude passenger who deserved to be sent back to his/her own seat. Nonetheless, statistically, your experience strikes me as an outlier. I think I've encountered seat swap requests (both rude and friendly) maybe 3 to 4 times all year. Three in a day is stunning.
It is just luck, I've had none for months then 2 in one day - connecting into and out of CVT.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Originally Posted by defrosted
I saw some "young punk" do exactly that for the same supposed reason the other day and proclaimed it loudly to his traveling companion for everyone to hear, in a watcha going to do about it tone as he made his way back to his no doubt middle seat in the back.
You take it out, put it on the floor, and let the FA gate check it when no-one in first claims it. Simples.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 9:53 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
I am guessing people do this because they plan on getting up before the plane reaches the gate and running up to the front of the cabin so they can be the first ones off. Much easier to run up to the front if you're not bogged down with a rollaboard.
Old Nov 14, 2017, 2:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Silver Fox
You take it out, put it on the floor, and let the FA gate check it when no-one in first claims it. Simples.
I have done this very thing, and within the last year. I am late to boarding so I am boarding with coach pax, and a few folks ahead of me I see a man put his bag in the OH Bin above my seat and then proceed to steerage.

I took my seat, waited until boarding was done, and then removed it and placed it on the floor of the aisle. An FA came by, asked who it belonged to, and I said it was someone in coach. She took it back. Didn't see the results..but the bag never came back forward so I assume the Bin Poacher got his comeuppance.

There are people right here on FT who engage in bin poaching ( not always in F, but always forward of their seat). They come up with all kinds of justifications.."my stuff is expensive and I like to keep an eye on it"..that kind of thing. To hell with the seat occupants in the Bin's row.
OHDL1, Silver Fox, AKC6 and 1 others like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.