Community
Wiki Posts
Search

More seat swapping/poaching fun!

Search this Thread

Old Apr 20, 2018, 7:15 am

Location: LAS - where you can get married and divorced in the same 24 hour period. Perfect for the woman who's saving herself for marriage and the man who wants a one night stand.
Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond, Marriott Platinum, UA, AA, AS, WN kettle, Hertz PC
From the Delta Contract of Carriage
RULE 35: REFUSAL TO TRANSPORT Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, and may remove any passenger from its aircraft at any time, for any of the following reasons: of Carriage

F) Passenger’s Conduct or Condition Delta will not refuse to provide transportation to a passenger with a disability, as defined in 14 C.F.R. § 382.5 and 382.31, based upon the passenger’s disability, except as as allowed or required by law. Delta will not refuse to provide transportation based upon race, color, national origin, religion, sex, or ancestry. Subject to those qualifications, Delta may refuse to transport any passenger, or may remove any passenger from its aircraft, when refusal to transport or removal of the passenger is reasonably necessary in Delta’s sole discretion for the passenger’s comfort or safety, for the comfort or safety of other passengers or Delta employees, or for the prevention of damage to the property of Delta or its passengers or employees. By way of example, and without limitation, Delta may refuse to transport or may remove passengers from its aircraft in any of the following situations:

7) When the passenger is unable to sit in a seat with the seatbelt fastened;

AND
CUSTOMERS REQUIRING EXTRA SEAT SPACE
If you are unable to sit in your seat without encroaching into the seat next to you while the armrest is down, please ask the agent if they can reseat you next to an empty seat. You might also consider purchasing an upgrade to First/Business Class.

We will do all possible to ensure your comfort but you might consider booking an additional seat in order to ensure your best comfort during your travel. Please call Delta Reservations at 1-800-221-1212 and they will be glad to assist.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
If I am ever on a flight with any airline where "customers requiring extra space" ask to be reseated, are reseated, or buy extra space, then I shall believe in little green Martians.
DiverDave and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by Silver Fox
If I am ever on a flight with any airline where "customers requiring extra space" ask to be reseated, are reseated, or buy extra space, then I shall believe in little green Martians.
Southwest used to be strict about enforcing a "customer of size" to purchase a second seat. The second seat was sold at a discount and IIRC if they flight wasn't sold out they would refund the second seat seat charge. Back when I used to fly Southwest I sat beside a COS. He was at the window and was allowed to preboard and there was a placard on the middle seat stating it was reserved so it was nice having an empty middle seat (not sure with open seating on Southwest what happens if the customer doesn't get to the gate in time to preboard and there aren't two adjacent seats remaining when they board).

I felt bad for the guy because as the later group started boarding and there were only middle seats remaining a couple people tried grabbing that seat since it was towards the front and he had to tell them it was reserved.

I was on a Delta flight last year DTW/LAS and there was a very large man in the aisle seat across from mine and his stomach was so huge the tray table was resting on it during the meal service and wouldn't go down and his seat mate had to use the restroom a few times and it was really hard for him to get out of the seat to let them out.
Old Apr 20, 2018, 8:47 pm

Programs: UA 1MM (former 1K, Delta Platinum))
Originally Posted by puddinhead
Thanks! I used to carry two copies of the United version of this, just in case. Now I've got these all nicely cropped onto a single sheet.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 12:18 pm

Programs: WN Rapid Rewards, Delta Skymiles
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
not sure with open seating on Southwest what happens if the customer doesn't get to the gate in time to preboard and there aren't two adjacent seats remaining when they board
As someone who experienced it due to a late connection, you stand in the aisle humiliated while the FAs plead over the PA for someone to change seats to accommodate you.

I used to purchase a second seat on Delta to try and avoid issues, but after the third time they separated me from my second seat due to equipment changes or accommodating other parties traveling together I gave up.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:13 pm

Originally Posted by normalone
As someone who experienced it due to a late connection, you stand in the aisle humiliated while the FAs plead over the PA for someone to change seats to accommodate you.

I used to purchase a second seat on Delta to try and avoid issues, but after the third time they separated me from my second seat due to equipment changes or accommodating other parties traveling together I gave up.
Sorry to hear DL isn't handling these well.

You go to the effort to do the right thing and give them more money in the process and they make it harder.

Not sure why the other airlines don't adopt the Southwest policy. It doesn't add to inventory spoilage and at least 80% of the time, ends up getting them the revenue anyway. While assigned seating helps minimize what you experience when you have a tight connection on Southwest.
Old Apr 21, 2018, 3:28 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Boarded SFO-ATL (757-300) very late yesterday. I had 6A, which I had booked over 24 hours ago via SDC. I found 6B sitting in my seat. I gave a quick "Hi, I'm in the window seat" and she started the "oh I thought B was the window" which, come on, does anyone actually think that?

Anyway, she acted a little annoyed but she moved and nobody died. Should I have called for an air marshal?
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:20 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by pvn
Boarded SFO-ATL (757-300) very late yesterday. I had 6A, which I had booked over 24 hours ago via SDC. I found 6B sitting in my seat. I gave a quick "Hi, I'm in the window seat" and she started the "oh I thought B was the window" which, come on, does anyone actually think that?

Anyway, she acted a little annoyed but she moved and nobody died. Should I have called for an air marshal?

If she refused to move, absolutely...serves her right poaching a window and trying to get you to take the middle.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by pvn

Air marshalls, aka FAMs, are to protect against terrorism, not to solve customer service issues. Call for the FA if someone refuses to move from your assigned seat.
Old Apr 22, 2018, 12:14 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by pvn
Boarded SFO-ATL (757-300) very late yesterday. I had 6A, which I had booked over 24 hours ago via SDC. I found 6B sitting in my seat.
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If she refused to move, absolutely...serves her right poaching a window and trying to get you to take the middle.
6A/B are the last row of F on a 757-300.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Air marshalls, aka FAMs, are to protect against terrorism, not to solve customer service issues. Call for the FA if someone refuses to move from your assigned seat.
​​​​​​​I'm sure this comes as a surprise to everyone but I think there's a *wee* chance pvn was being sarcastic
Old Apr 22, 2018, 11:53 pm

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Southwest used to be strict about enforcing a "customer of size" to purchase a second seat. The second seat was sold at a discount and IIRC if they flight wasn't sold out they would refund the second seat seat charge. Back when I used to fly Southwest I sat beside a COS. He was at the window and was allowed to preboard and there was a placard on the middle seat stating it was reserved so it was nice having an empty middle seat (not sure with open seating on Southwest what happens if the customer doesn't get to the gate in time to preboard and there aren't two adjacent seats remaining when they board)..
They've actually improved the policy because now the third seat is fully refunded even if the flight is sold out. COS just have to visit the gate agent prior to boarding (which is needed to get the 'seat reservation' slip), and they preboard too. It's a nice option for everyone - the COS can be comfortable, WN knows their load ahead of time, and nobody in C60 is irate for having no choice but next to the COS.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 2:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn

The little pictures on the overhead can cause confusion for new or infrequent flyers. I've heard couple of FA wish they used the old ones that said window/aisle/middle under the letter. Instead the way its arranged i get why some think it's backwards. Add into confusion not all planes have same number of rows. Fly AA were a 737/MD starts at row 3 in F and row 1 on an A321.
Old Apr 23, 2018, 5:34 am
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
From reading this thread I was under the impression that poaching IS a form of terrorism.
miraclebear2003 likes this.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:32 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
Yesterday (4/25) I was sitting in 10A, one of the bulkhead seats on the A333 for an ATL-AMS flight. Across the plane, during boarding, a man was seated in 10J, with 10H unoccupied. Towards the end of boarding two women enter the plane and tell the man that 10 H&J are their seats. I couldn’t hear details of the conversation but the man did not argue or pull out his boarding pass. He just got up and moved about 5 rows farther back in the plane, to a non Comfort+ seat. My seat mate and I agreed that it looked like a case of blatant seat poaching by the man.
Old Apr 26, 2018, 6:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Stupid seat poacher: 10J is unlikely not to be assigned/occupied. Some other C+ seat would have had greater odds of success.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.