Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL AMS-IND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by greycap7
Keep in mind that P&G is not the only frequent user of this flight, other local companies such as amongst many others Convergys, Cintas, dunnhumbyUSA, Landor, and Kroger also regularly send people to Europe, though definitely not at the volume that P&G does.
Let's not get side-tracked here the thread is about the possibility of AMS-IND, but if you want to talk about why CVG-AMS would be a better option go ahead.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Let's not get side-tracked here the thread is about the possibility of AMS-IND, but if you want to talk about why CVG-AMS would be a better option go ahead.
Oh I absolutely think that IND-AMS could be viable, and could exist even with another nearby DL TATL flight.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
In 2000, Ryan International operated a private charter for P&G. It was an A320 (N573DC) that was fitted with 66 seats in a single business configuration. The routing was CVG-KEF-BRU-KEF-CVG. I can't remember if it ran longer than a year, but know that P&G's biggest complaint, and a reason why they went to/back to DL was that Ryan couldn't offer FF miles like DL could.
I don't dispute the idea that business travel may be critical in keeping CVG-CDG viable. I'm disputing the notion that the cargo revenue outweighs the passenger revenue.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 1:50 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I definitely think IND will get a TATL flight in the next year or so. However, I would be surprised to see it be AMS. Seems like CDG would be a better fit for DL's first TATL from there. Or LHR for BA/AA.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:36 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
I see IND-AMS (or LHR) operated by DL (or UA & AA) as unlikely. Since IND is not a hub wouldn't it be more likely that such an IND-EU flight would be operated by an EU based carrier?

Last edited by Grouchy; Aug 8, 2017 at 3:32 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by Grouchy
I see IND-AMS (or LHR) operated by DL (or UA & AA) as unlikely. Since IND is not a hub wouldn't it be more likely that such a IND-EU flight would be operated by a EU based carrier?
May not be a hub but is a DL Focus City
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
IND? If service to hubs and a couple point-to-point destinations constitutes focus city, then CMH is one as well (and probably a handful of other places in DL's network including the obvious RDU).
Old Aug 8, 2017, 2:59 pm

Can we just all agree than IND and CVG are both fine cities? It seems like there is about to be a knife fight here every time someone suggests one of those cities new potential flight would or wouldn't be profitable.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I just checked IND. Pretty impressive that you can do Boston, New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle non-stop.
I just looked at flights yesterday (8/7) and today (8/8) for IND-SEA and see no flights. Curious where you see DL doing IND-SEA?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Have you ever gone down those stairs? I am curious as to what the CBP facility looks like. Whenever I fly in from YYZ, I go through customs in Canada, so I have never seen it before.

Is it true that the CBP officers who are stationed there mostly clear parcels from FedEx and UPS?
FedEx, not UPS. It is a pretty big FedEx....not MEM size but still large. Delta was flying a once a week 747-400 from Germany to IND as a military charter but that went away. I have been down there when A5 was departing but not arriving. The diagram shows it going downstairs with a direct entry to baggage claim from customs.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FSUnole03
I just looked at flights yesterday (8/7) and today (8/8) for IND-SEA and see no flights. Curious where you see DL doing IND-SEA?
Probably should look on AS's website then, considering they run daily IND-SEA
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by OSSYULYYZ
Exactly. IND has been rated as a top airport in the States ever since the renovations were finished. IND TSA Officers get one of the best ratings. That was the rationale for moving the hub (although I can no longer find the post...)
No hub moved. IND's focus city status comes from NWA trying to put ATA out of business, which they succeeded in.

Originally Posted by WWads
IND-CVG is just under 2 hours driving. That's a lot less than ORD, and an easier drive too.
I am unique. I am in the middle. Most IND people never consider CVG not like CVG people did when it was a fortress.
For the most part, if pax from IND travel anywhere to fly TATL it is ORD, not CVG.
I don't think that is true. ATL is just as easy. JFK. DTW. EWR. And more.

I just checked IND. Pretty impressive that you can do Boston, New York, Los Angeles, and Seattle non-stop.
AS beat DL to the SEA non-stop. Still interesting to see how it does. My info says that Delta wanted to do it but lacks the gate space at SEA to put even more pressure on AS.
Originally Posted by IndyDave
Late 80's or early 90's, the Delta IND sales manager told me that Delta was considering IND instead of CVG for expansion, but since Indiana didn't observe daylight saving time at that time, it would be too complicated for their scheduling. He may have been blowing smoke, but it sounded good.
That wouldn't surprise me in the least. Many people don't understand how much no DST held Indiana back.

The RR facility (which only does Defense aircraft, civil helicopters, regional and business jets, and power systems for U.S. Naval vessels.) is an hour away from IND and the GE facility is about 35 minutes away.
Am I missing a RR facility an hour away from IND? The one I drive by is about 10 minutes away.
Originally Posted by Keith2004
Has IND ever had service to Europe?
I don't think so.

Has IND ever been a HUB?
Well, not really. ATA had a pretty big leisure market presence and US Airways had what some called a hub but it was a small one.

I would be really surprised if service to AMS popped up at IND, Usually when a US city has a single destination in Europe it is London, Paris or Iceland
The Airport Authority wants London. Period. I just don't see Delta doing London. IMO, CDG makes more sense for Delta but AMS would work better for them than LHR or LGW would.

Originally Posted by JSprague24
IND? If service to hubs and a couple point-to-point destinations constitutes focus city, then CMH is one as well (and probably a handful of other places in DL's network including the obvious RDU).
Delta is who calls it a focus city. And they call RDU one also.

Originally Posted by kop84
Can we just all agree than IND and CVG are both fine cities? It seems like there is about to be a knife fight here every time someone suggests one of those cities new potential flight would or wouldn't be profitable.
And here I am the one between them. I have never bought into this civic pride thing on airline routes and airports. Indianapolis is a MUCH larger city than Cincinnati is but the CVG MSA is much larger and INDs. But the airport wants and is willing to subsidize a flight to Europe. Obviously, they think it will work after it gets setup. Of course, history says that isn't so. Rest assured if Delta or any airline thought it would work they would have already done it.

Originally Posted by FSUnole03
They don't. AS only....with their own ticket counter, no less.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold
Probably should look on AS's website then, considering they run daily IND-SEA
Probably should re-read my post then, considering I asked where DELTA is running IND-SEA. Last time I checked this was a DL thread, no?

The post I quoted also mentioned DL:

Does PDX now have more Delta flights than CVG?

Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:44 pm

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by GRALISTAIR
Even if it is a focus city..IIRC there isn't a crew/satellite base @IND or am i wrong?
Without a crew/satellite base it would mean getting F/A's & pilots from CVG/DTW/ATL or MSP?
Quit inconvenient imo..
Old Aug 8, 2017, 3:57 pm

Originally Posted by indufan
I don't think that is true. ATL is just as easy. JFK. DTW. EWR. And more.
I think MIDWESTERNFLYER was referring to people from IND who drive to ORD to catch a TATL flight, which many people I know and myself have done many times.

Originally Posted by indufan
And here I am the one between them. I have never bought into this civic pride thing on airline routes and airports. Indianapolis is a MUCH larger city than Cincinnati is but the CVG MSA is much larger and INDs.
There isn't much of a difference between the MSAs:

CVG - 2,165,139
IND - 2,004,230

Indy's CSA is actually slightly larger:

CVG - 2,224,231
IND - 2,386,199

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.