Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL AMS-IND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:06 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by indufan
I don't know if I would really call it a hub for ATA. Yes, you could connect in IND but not many did and by the time ATA was doing that kind of thing much, they were doing it at Midway.

I promise you that it isn't because of any "civic pride" or anything that I see here. I am not sold that the market will support such a flight but what is your standard for small? It is the 15th largest city and 34th largest MSA. And the airport itself has plenty of room for growth of whatever, sans the A380.
Small or not small, IND is the largest unserved market from Europe, according to this: https://blueswandaily.com/british-ai...tic-network-2/

BNA was the 3rd largest and they just got a 787 on BA to LHR.
CLE and IND were neck and neck for 1st and CLE just got FI and WW.
And by now the IND market is a similar size, or even bigger than when AUS and MSY got n/s to LHR.

IND-LHR also had a higher avg fare than AUS/MSY/SLC/PDX-LHR http://www.aci-na.org/sites/default/...nal_slides.pdf

So the IND market is high yielding as well...

There is definitively a market for these flights...
Old Aug 24, 2017, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
As discussed previously, if anything BA IND/LHR on 787.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:08 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
I promise you that it isn't because of any "civic pride" or anything that I see here. I am not sold that the market will support such a flight but what is your standard for small? It is the 15th largest city and 34th largest MSA. And the airport itself has plenty of room for growth of whatever, sans the A380.
My memories of flying out of IND a few times in the 1990's was that it was a decent, but fairly crowded airport. I guess there is room for it to grow?

I live in the 10th largest city and 5th largest CSA and there is no international service from AA, DL, or UA to SJC. But, there are three flights to Asia on Asian carriers and two to Europe on European carriers.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
MIA doesn't even have a NRT flight. Let that sink in. There are still plenty of larger holes to fill in.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 7:43 pm

Programs: It's Complicated...
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
My memories of flying out of IND a few times in the 1990's was that it was a decent, but fairly crowded airport. I guess there is room for it to grow?

I live in the 10th largest city and 5th largest CSA and there is no international service from AA, DL, or UA to SJC. But, there are three flights to Asia on Asian carriers and two to Europe on European carriers.
Flying out of Indy in the 90's sucked. We have a completely different experience now and I encourage you to check out the award winning airport.
https://www.indianapolisairport.com/...-year-in-a-row

Really the terminal is what is new but same airport location and runways. The old terminals were complete dumps.
IndyHoosier and airmotive like this.
Old Aug 24, 2017, 8:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 4 MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by mcgahat
Flying out of Indy in the 90's sucked. We have a completely different experience now and I encourage you to check out the award winning airport.
https://www.indianapolisairport.com/...-year-in-a-row

Really the terminal is what is new but same airport location and runways. The old terminals were complete dumps.
While you're at it USA Today on JD Power. Indy best medium airport. SJC is on the list too. Just somewhat further down. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...tudy/95469962/
Old Aug 25, 2017, 12:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
MIA doesn't even have a NRT flight. Let that sink in. There are still plenty of larger holes to fill in.
That is unrelated to the topic at hand....
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:31 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by WWads
It would all depend on whether area companies are willing to sign contracts and pay for seat guarantees.

RDU isn't a hub, but has service to LHR and CDG. Same for a dozen other medium-sized cities.
RDU also serves 30% more pax than IND (2016 numbers). A better comparison (pax wise and economically would be PIT, even though the PIT CSA is admittedly a bit larger).

PIT now has flights to CDG (daily), FRA (2x week) (both seasonal) and KEF (4x week). I don't see any reason IND couldn't support CDG or LHR, with the exception of perhaps geography (that would be a stretch for a 757/321 Westbound me thinks).

As a few others have mentioned, I'd say BA would be most likely with something like the 787.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Grow? Yes, there is room for it to grow but the airport of the 90s is flat earth now and replaced by a billion dollar terminal.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:32 pm

Grow? Yes, there is room for it to grow but the airport of the 90s is flat earth now and replaced by a billion dollar terminal.
Really? I didn't think there was anything wrong with that terminal. It wasn't like the old DTW which was a pit, MEM which seems hopelessly outdated, LAX which is terrible, PHL, or the three horrid NY airports.

My first DL flight was IND - CVG - JAX in 1996. Both legs were on an 88.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 3:39 pm

Originally Posted by IndyDave
While you're at it USA Today on JD Power. Indy best medium airport. SJC is on the list too. Just somewhat further down. https://www.usatoday.com/story/trave...tudy/95469962/
If airport quality is what determined where flights go, then LAX and all the NYC airports wouldn't have as many flights as they do because those are absolutely horrible airports.
Old Aug 25, 2017, 4:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
Really? I didn't think there was anything wrong with that terminal. It wasn't like the old DTW which was a pit, MEM which seems hopelessly outdated, LAX which is terrible, PHL, or the three horrid NY airports.
It was 50 years old and not big enough. Convention business is huge. Delta at JFK is crazy nice. I don't mind LAX but haven't been over to T2 and T3 since they have moved. Most of PHL does suck.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:06 pm

Programs: AS, HA, JL, UA
DL is adding IND-CDG!
IndyHoosier likes this.
Old Sep 6, 2017, 12:23 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, NEXUS
It's Paris. IND-CDG
Old Sep 6, 2017, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I definitely think IND will get a TATL flight in the next year or so. However, I would be surprised to see it be AMS. Seems like CDG would be a better fit for DL's first TATL from there.
^

Dang I actually got one right.
airmotive and IndyHoosier like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.