Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL AMS-IND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Keith2004
For all the statistics being cited here...

Has IND ever had service to Europe?

What is the extent of the current international service?

Has IND ever been a HUB?

I would be really surprised if service to AMS popped up at IND, Usually when a US city has a single destination in Europe it is London, Paris or Iceland

Edit: Ireland in Connecticut and Norwegians adventures in New England would be exceptions to this
No, It hasn't

Saturday only service to CUN on DL/WN/Y4, Saturday only service to PUJ on Swift, DL used to run Sat only service to NAS a year or two ago but I think that was dropped, AC runs daily to YYZ.

ATA/J1/USair had hubs in IND, AirTran and NWA had focus cities in IND, Allegiant currently has a focus city in IND.

MEM used to have its only TATL to AMS, and as I mentioned before NWA was planning to add IND-AMS before they merged. PVD had Azores Airlines before Norwegian came to town. I believe PDX's first TATL was to AMS as well (or it was LH I can't remember). OAK had CityBird to BRU. I am sure there are other examples if you want to look around for them.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:36 am
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by WWads
Why would GE send parts to AMS? Last time I checked there wasn't a major Airbus facility in NL.
I love how you pick and chose the information that you like to use. Are you going to mention any of the other companies listed or are you going to skip over those.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles (Silver), AAdvantage, Sun Country, FmrUS Airways Dividend Miles, Northwest WorldPerks
Originally Posted by MIDWESTERNFLYER
Correct, and they planned to add AMS-IND until the merger happened.
CMH-AMS was rumored for a time, too. Apparently, there was a plan to put a WorldClub in C and move NW's operations to the empty gates there.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I love how you pick and chose the information that you like to use. Are you going to mention any of the other companies listed or are you going to skip over those.
Nope. The reason for mentioning GE is that they use the CVG-CDG flight to send hundreds of tons of engine parts to Airbus in France every year. It's largely what helps keep that flight viable. I don't see a similar arrangement coming together for a potential TATL flight ex-IND. Such a flight would almost certainly would have to stand on yields alone.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: DL-Diamond, Marriott Titanium
No, It hasn't

Saturday only service to CUN on DL/WN/Y4, Saturday only service to PUJ on Swift, DL used to run Sat only service to NAS a year or two ago but I think that was dropped, AC runs daily to YYZ.

ATA/J1/USair had hubs in IND, AirTran and NWA had focus cities in IND, Allegiant currently has a focus city in IND.

MEM used to have its only TATL to AMS, and as I mentioned before NWA was planning to add IND-AMS before they merged. PVD had Azores Airlines before Norwegian came to town. I believe PDX's first TATL was to AMS as well (or it was LH I can't remember). OAK had CityBird to BRU. I am sure there are other examples if you want to look around for them.
Interesting,
The previous AMS ops really are a testament to how close NW was to KLM, I wonder going forward if DL is going to get closer to KLM,
New MCO non-stop would certainly be leaning in that direction.

Personally I'm all for it because I definitely prefer AMS to CDG any day of the week to transit
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:49 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by flyerCO
No i don't think there is one major or even minor in Niger.
What about Nebraska?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 11:49 am

Programs: DL DM
Why would GE send parts to AMS? Last time I checked there wasn't a major Airbus facility in NL.
Not sure if I alluded to that?
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:03 pm
Original Poster

Nope. The reason for mentioning GE is that they use the CVG-CDG flight to send hundreds of tons of engine parts to Airbus in France every year. It's largely what helps keep that flight viable. I don't see a similar arrangement coming together for a potential TATL flight ex-IND. Such a flight would almost certainly would have to stand on yields alone.
How do you possibly not see a similar agreement coming together after all the things I listed to you. You are way too close minded.

AMS is closer to Hamburg than CDG, and Hamburg is where they have final assembly for some of the Airbus aircraft. So, it is logical that some parts could go on a IND-AMS flight. Not even considering all the other cargo that could go on such a flight as well.

Don't forget Toulouse is still 7 hours from CDG, and none of the other French manufacturing plants for Airbus are even close to Paris. Plus, it isn't like there is no other way to get those parts to Toulouse other than the DL CDG-CVG flight. FedEx easily could fly the parts IND-CDG, CDG-TLS, considering they already fly those routes.

But back on point: AMS-IND has higher pax numbers than CVG-AMS, and has the cargo potential as well. What makes you think, CVG would do better on CVG-AMS, without GE propping it up? Don't say corporate contracts, because DL has those as well in IND

Last edited by MIDWESTERNFLYER; Aug 8, 2017 at 12:16 pm
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:08 pm

How do you possibly not see a similar agreement coming together after all the things I listed to you. You are way too close minded.

AMS is closer to Hamburg than CDG, and Hamburg is where they have final assembly for some of the Airbus aircraft. So, it is logical that some parts could go on a IND-AMS flight. Not even considering all the other cargo that could go on such a flight as well.

Don't forget Toulouse is still 7 hours from CDG, and none of the other French manufacturing plants for Airbus are even close to Paris. Plus, it isn't like there is no other way to get those parts to Toulouse other than the DL CDG-CVG flight. FedEx easily could fly the parts IND-CDG, CDG-TLS, considering they already fly those routes.
Using Delta as the main vehicle for transferring parts to Hamburg or Toulouse is a misnomer.

GE uses Delta to transport parts to continental Europe in the event of mechanical failures. Having a flight 7 days a week is ideal. CDG is an ideal location for parts to be transported to other cities.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:10 pm

MCO-AMS was loaded into the schedule this morning, so that is now confirmed.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by greycap7
Delta makes more money under the seats than it does above the seats...
Based upon the information available, I highly doubt that is true.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:30 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette
Based upon the information available, I highly doubt that is true.
It's not, but on that particular route, it is a significant supplement.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Depending upon how one defines "significant", I have my doubts that is true either.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:37 pm

Keep in mind that P&G is not the only frequent user of this flight, other local companies such as amongst many others Convergys, Cintas, dunnhumbyUSA, Landor, and Kroger also regularly send people to Europe, though definitely not at the volume that P&G does.
Old Aug 8, 2017, 12:38 pm

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Depending upon how one defines "significant", I have my doubts that is true either.
In 2000, Ryan International operated a private charter for P&G. It was an A320 (N573DC) that was fitted with 66 seats in a single business configuration. The routing was CVG-KEF-BRU-KEF-CVG. I can't remember if it ran longer than a year, but know that P&G's biggest complaint, and a reason why they went to/back to DL was that Ryan couldn't offer FF miles like DL could.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.