Community
Wiki Posts
Search

DL AMS-IND?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
DL AMS-IND?

Hey FlyerTalk. First time poster so bear with me.

I have been hearing rumors of a possible AMS-IND flight coming by the end of the year. I know NWA was planning this route before it went away. Has anyone else heard about this possibility? Is it likely to happen? What equipment would they use? e.t.c

Thanks for any information you can provide
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Pure wishful thinking. This comes up periodically as a rumor.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:36 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA & AA Peeon, Hilton/Starwood Gold
There's lots of buzz in IND of a TATL route coming because of state-approved incentives on offer but nothing has been announced. DL could pull off an IND-AMS flight using a 753 but it could potentially take some penalties in extreme weather conditions.

Nothing to report for now. And if something does come about, I doubt it would launch before next Spring.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I don't have anything against Naptown, but wouldn't it make more sense to add CVG-AMS since CVG already handles international flights (OK, one international flight)?
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:48 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Where are you hearing this rumor? We might be able to shed some light on the validity and/or motivations if you can help us understand
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by CGNC
There's lots of buzz in IND of a TATL route coming because of state-approved incentives on offer but nothing has been announced. DL could pull off an IND-AMS flight using a 753 but it could potentially take some penalties in extreme weather conditions.

Nothing to report for now. And if something does come about, I doubt it would launch before next Spring.
Do you mean a 752? (Or 75S I think it was DL labels its international 757s).

But I do agree that I doubt any new service would launch this year now. Even MCO-AMS, which was just announced, won't be launching until March.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I don't have anything against Naptown, but wouldn't it make more sense to add CVG-AMS since CVG already handles international flights (OK, one international flight)?
Doesn't IND supposedly have some international flights at present, even if only to North American destinations? About five years ago, I remember noticing a section of the airport that had signs saying that there were about four or five international gates.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 1:59 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't IND supposedly have some international flights at present, even if only to North American destinations? About five years ago, I remember noticing a section of the airport that had signs saying that there were about four or five international gates.
DL runs a seasonal IND/CUN flight so there are at least the facilities for customs there, even if not staffed every day.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum Pro, UA Premier Platinum, IHG Platinum Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by woodford02A
Where are you hearing this rumor? We might be able to shed some light on the validity and/or motivations if you can help us understand
A poster on a different forum, knows someone at AMS who confirmed IND-AMS was close to an announcement(I don't know how close) starting 3x-4x weekly.

http://www.insideindianabusiness.com...tional-nonstop

This article verifies that claim.

Last edited by MIDWESTERNFLYER; Aug 7, 2017 at 2:43 pm Reason: Consolidation.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:14 pm

IND recently upped their airport incentives for new international service up to $400,000 and the state also approved $5m in incentives for new international service to IND, too. There was an announcement from the IN Secretary of Commerce a couple weeks back that there will be something to talk about in "a matter of months."

That has led some to speculate that either BA will serve IND via LHR or perhaps DL will serve IND via AMS. Obviously can't believe anything you hear until something is announced. Would love to see IND snag an AMS route, but I doubt it could sustain more than 5x a week, if that.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
IND-AMS would be at the very limits of reliable range for Delta's lie-flat 757-200s (coded 75S as noted above). It's marginally longer than JFK-PSA which was, IIRC, Delta's longest 757 flight. It would have to be seat-restricted westbound in winter routinely, if not regularly.

Delta recently expanded 75S use to DCA-LAX and BOS-SFO. Unless it's going to pull 75S off JFK-LAX/SFO in favor of widebodies, I see IND-AMS as unlikely.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I think IND has 2 or maybe 3 Int'l gates B3/B4/B5 built to accommodate most aircraft, including the 787 or 757
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by CGNC
IND recently upped their airport incentives for new international service up to $400,000 and the state also approved $5m in incentives for new international service to IND, too. There was an announcement from the IN Secretary of Commerce a couple weeks back that there will be something to talk about in "a matter of months."

That has led some to speculate that either BA will serve IND via LHR or perhaps DL will serve IND via AMS. Obviously can't believe anything you hear until something is announced. Would love to see IND snag an AMS route, but I doubt it could sustain more than 5x a week, if that.
BA seems most likely. They been doing this type of deal since they got thier 787s. AUS, SAN, etc...
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:40 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
BA seems most likely. They been doing this type of deal since they got thier 787s. AUS, SAN, etc...
Thanks for the correction up above on the 75S--that's what I had meant to say.

I tend to agree BA would be more likely. I'm not a route planner so I have no idea how this works, but a 3x or 4x a week route might be just what IND can sustain. I wonder if the demand really is there in the winter months for that much TATL travel, but then again that's why I have a different job.

One interesting note, DL has once again done that thing I don't like--a "direct" flight from IND-AMS via DTW complete with a plane change! In a couple weeks, DL 134 operates from IND-AMS with a DTW stop. I wonder if airlines pay attention to how many through passengers book on a 'direct' flight via connections when trying to evaluate potential business on a route? Could be an interesting secondary variable.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 2:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM & 2MM™, Lifetime HHonors Diamond
The airport authority has been stuck on getting London. Maybe because of Rolls Royce. I think if Delta is going to do something worthwhile it would be CDG. But I am sure they can be bought into any route given enough incentives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.