Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Silver Meteor
Ed is only hurting himself by not addressing this, and staying silent. There has to be some sort of reason he is staying silent, (maybe it is a legal reason...who knows).
I think he probably knows the end is nigh, regardless of what he does at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he quietly resigned in the next few days.

Also, I can't check-in online. Great.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Apr 8, 2017 at 7:31 pm
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:49 pm

Ok, how many of you are friends with Ed? A pax in MIA was caught up in the mess and their flt canceled. He had this person sent on their way MIA-TLV through ZRH. Business class I might add. That's on Swiss, yes? He knows who the VIPs are.

Fly Safe!

NWA FA

Last edited by NWAFA; Apr 8, 2017 at 7:56 pm Reason: Spelling
Old Apr 8, 2017, 7:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Kettle with Kryptonium Medallion Tags
Originally Posted by WWads
I think he probably knows the end is nigh, regardless of what he does at this point. I wouldn't be surprised if he quietly resigned in the next few days.
Mr. Bastian is probably safe -- the board would have to meet to replace him and I doubt they can get flights in...

FWIW, Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics says that Delta cancelled 372 flights (13% of them) today and another 1,166 Delta flights (42% of them) were delayed, as of 1745 EST.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA/AA
A happy Delta flyer made it to the top post on Reddit today.

"Through multiple cancellations via Delta Airlines, I have been living at the airport for 3 days now. Here is the line to get to the help desk. Calling them understaffed is being too generous. I just want to go home."

http://imgur.com/nGJjEeU
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by kss5555
I posted earlier about sending planes to other hubs. It appears Delta did add a special 9000 flight from LAS to DTW today so good for them. Why not more?? From my contacts still in LAS they have 4 planes parked away from gates on tarmac and many many crew willing to go wherever they will send them. Even an entire DTW crew and pilots who would take a plane home with stranded passengers.
I noticed a special section ATL-JFK on a 764 yesterday or the day before to try to help some of the backlog.

I think the reason we aren't seeing more of this is because DL is having trouble crewing the flights they have, thus the continued cancelation and delay issues.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:37 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, AA Plat, Hertz Pres. Club. SPG Gold

Also, I can't check-in online. Great.
IF BAS/E isn't gone after this there is no hope for DL!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 8:55 pm

Programs: DL SM, AAdvantage, SPG
Originally Posted by ty97
I noticed a special section ATL-JFK on a 764 yesterday or the day before to try to help some of the backlog.

I think the reason we aren't seeing more of this is because DL is having trouble crewing the flights they have, thus the continued cancelation and delay issues.
And late last night, DL 176 (ATL-DUB) made somewhat of a flag stop here in RDU to pick up 30 pax instead of trying to get them to ATL for an eventual flight. To some extent, diverting people away from problem airports during severe weather should help. But this problem isn't due to the weather anymore...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:23 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
If I'm AA and UA, might I be considering a major PR opportunity here? I don't know how much excess capacity either have at this point, but imagine if they flew wide-bodies to ATL to pick up stranded DL pax, and routed them to their respective hubs for the purpose of getting them home, all for free.

Probably (actually almost certainly) unrealistic, but damn, what the optics of that would be.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
If I'm AA and UA, might I be considering a major PR opportunity here? I don't know how much excess capacity either have at this point, but imagine if they flew wide-bodies to ATL to pick up stranded DL pax, and routed them to their respective hubs for the purpose of getting them home, all for free.

Probably (actually almost certainly) unrealistic, but damn, what the optics of that would be.
I think the federal government should step in at this point and declare ATL disaster zone and bring in C-130s to evacuate people on humanitarian grounds...
Old Apr 8, 2017, 9:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS, AA, UA, AGR S (former 75K, GLD, 1K, and S+, now an elite peon)
I wish the media would play up DL's arrogance in canceling the interline agreement with AA here. That, and some investigative journalists doing some digging on the word that the crew scheduling system crashed. Those topics are not getting the play they deserve, and those are the things that will shame Delta into improving things and avoiding this next time.
Old Apr 8, 2017, 10:27 pm
EZE

Programs: All of em more or less
50 hours late but finally home. Worst performance by Delta operations ever.

But also one of the most remarkable efforts by Delta employees ever - I've never seen so many employees of any corporation rally like I saw in NY and ATL over the last two days.

Honestly, shareholders should tell management that:
1. CEO, CTO and COO should forgo salaries for next quarter and probably need to think carefully about whether each is in the right seat....
2. Profit sharing should be maxed out and additional bonuses paid to anyone who worked overtime .....
3. Any customer delayed more than say 24 hours was clearly a victim of a massive technical failure on Delta's part and should be compensated generously - perhaps they could use the EU compensation guidelines....
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:40 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Wow, the pilot's board listed in the wiki is damning, clearly an automation failure. Hopefully some heads will roll from this.

"Flew into ATL at 11:30am and waited 10 hours for flight attendants to do one leg to DAY. Timed out and went home instead. Heard that the flt attendant lounge was full of people waiting around. Something is definitely broken."

Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:54 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Saw this on the Twitter today...

If Trump wants to stop operations at that airport in Syria, just turn it over to Delta...
Ouch!
Old Apr 8, 2017, 11:59 pm

Half as many flights were cancelled today compared to Friday. Sunday, April 9, is currently experiencing:
  • 72 mainline cancellations (35 touching ATL, 37 elsewhere) mostly due to crew issues
  • 6 Delta Connection cancellations (0 touching ATL)
Also keep in mind JFK and SFO are having runway construction. Watch for deicing slowdowns in SLC and other Mountain West airports. I personally think the current trajectory could be for full recovery by Monday afternoon to Tuesday.

Edit: some stats
April 5: ~750 cancellations
April 6: ~1,000
April 7: ~800
April 8: ~400

(Information in this post are from a couple public sources, mainly FlightAware, so they're rough estimates.)

Can people report: estimated Twitter response time, and estimated Res wait time including Medallion status?

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 9, 2017 at 12:09 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:06 am

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Saw this on the Twitter today...

Quote:
If Trump wants to stop operations at that airport in Syria, just turn it over to Delta...
Ouch!
Give me a break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.