Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:26 am

Programs: DL , AC, BA, Hhonors Gold, IH Platinum, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
The crew tracking system never crashed.

The only system that went "down" was SNAPP on Wednesday as updated passenger info was delayed flowing into the program due to all the changes. The crew tracking (or "scheduling system" as some call it) had a similar issue where it was delayed updating crew info due to the sheer volume of flight changes, delays, and cancellations. With a backlog of hundreds of crew changes, it's taking the system much longer than normal to process pairing crews with flights, etc. This is what's contributing to the excessive crew delays that continue on today.

OCC projecting 200 cancellations for today.
Not according to the pilots' Wiki. They seem to know that system well, and they're saying it's broken. And even IF it's a "backlog" on the system, that's no longer caused by weather. It's caused by a system that can't handle the necessary volume.

My opinion is that DL is covering up their IT failure so that they don't have to pay compensation to tens of thousands of passengers.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:27 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium

The only system that went "down" was SNAPP on Wednesday as updated passenger info was delayed flowing into the program due to all the changes. The crew tracking (or "scheduling system" as some call it) had a similar issue where it was delayed updating crew info due to the sheer volume of flight changes, delays, and cancellations. With a backlog of hundreds of crew changes, it's taking the system much longer than normal to process pairing crews with flights, etc. This is what's contributing to the excessive crew delays that continue on today.

The many anecdotal reports we've heard seem to contradict your assertion.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN

I am just trying to understand here, computers today run at unfathomable speed, how can a few hundreds of crew changes cause this magnitude of chaos?

I can't help but feels like Delta should have more FAs, better management to preemptively cancelling flights, and more willingness to book people on any other airline at any price available.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:29 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
"Crashed" and "queue of pending operations so long and system so slow that it's highly dysfunctional" can be two ways to describe the same, grim, situation.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:32 am

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Another link, this with a mention to FlyerTalk:

Delta Still in Catch-Up Mode Sunday After This Week’s Operational Meltdown
Some Delta employees reported on travel-related discussion forums such as FlyerTalk.com that Delta’s IT systems were unable to keep up, thereby contributing to an operational meltdown of mammoth proportions....
My sources inside Delta also say that there were no IT crashes or system failures but simply that the magnitude of the situation meant that the system was destined to be many hours behind in processing updates.

What irks me is that, as far as I know, no senior company executive has gone on record with a comment since Thursday.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.

Last edited by jspira; Apr 9, 2017 at 10:39 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:33 am

Originally Posted by chrislevin
I am just trying to understand here, computers today run at unfathomable speed, how can a few hundreds of crew changes cause this magnitude of chaos?

I can't help but feels like Delta should have more FAs, better management to preemptively cancelling flights, and more willingness to book people on any other airline at any price available.
"Computers today" is the key phrase here. Many of DL's systems are 20-30 years old. Regardless if it was overload, or some sort of general systems failure, this is completely Delta's fault at this point.

Delta is slowly marching toward 200 CX (and 1000 delays) today. If we include regional carriers, it will probably go higher than that.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:37 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles KM, Sky Club/Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by jspira

My sources inside Delta also say that there were no IT crashes or system failures but simply that the magnitude of the situation meant that the system was destined to be many hours behind in processing updates.

What irks me is that, as far as I know, no senior company executive has gone on record with a comment since Thursday.

This link is to an online source to which I contribute and/or have a financial interest.
Exactly (bolding mine). My thoughts on how this was handled echo most of yours, but I just wanted to set the record straight. My source is what is coming out of the OCC.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
The title of this thread should be changed to The Great Delta Meltdown of 2017.

After spending 8 hours at SFO to get to MSP on Friday, I can't believe that I am concerned about the return on Tuesday, but I am.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:38 am

Exactly (bolding mine). My thoughts on how this was handled echo most of yours, but I just wanted to set the record straight. My source is what is coming out of the OCC.
Why should we believe any inside sources at this point? I trust the pilots, FAs, and frontline staff a lot more right now.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:42 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I also can't believe that it's almost 2pm Eastern on Sunday and no word from corporate.
Time to release another apology video. And to publicly promise a major investment in operations.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by WWads
"Computers today" is the key phrase here. Many of DL's systems are 20-30 years old. Regardless if it was overload, or some sort of general systems failure, this is completely Delta's fault at this point.

Delta is slowly marching toward 200 CX (and 1000 delays) today. If we include regional carriers, it will probably go higher than that.
We are talking about real simple calculations here, I am unsure it really needs a powerful computer to begin with...

Aye, delta, tell the truth and get it resolved asap please.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:54 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I also can't believe that it's almost 2pm Eastern on Sunday and no word from corporate.
Time to release another apology video. And to publicly promise a major investment in operations.
Back when Southwest had their Great Router Meltdown (tm) at least they were honest about it and they seemed to be genuine in their communications. DL's response to this is 100% political - never admit fault, never break ranks. Nothing to see here, keep moving silly sheep.

The arrogance and hubris will eventually cost them. This is the first big one. I would not be surprised to see FAA / DOT get involved here.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 10:59 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive

Sounds like it failed to me. Just semantics at this point whether you want to call it a full on crash or not.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by nichelle
I think the news is dominated by political coverage. I'm deeply interested in the political climate of our country. However, there is a lot of news that doesn't see the light of day or garner much interest right now.
Good point. That's all it is from top to bottom now. There is no diversity. The only exception would be to watch Headline News in the morning as they cover many different topics but I can't watch Robin Meade for more than 3 minutes worth of "ummm....Ummmmm".

Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:02 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by jspira

Was many hours a typo? I think you meant many days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.