Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 8, 2017, 1:28 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Renes Points
Great explanation about Crew Tracking & Scheduling and what went wrong: Post #590

[Feel free to edit / add to the timeline of DL events.]

First waver ATL only and only 5-7 and by 11th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170406...perations.html

Second waver "all" hubs and 5-9 and by 16th: https://web.archive.org/web/20170407...perations.html

April 6th COO Gil West apology and blames "unprecedented" ( 5 hour ) storm / weather: http://news.delta.com/chief-operatin...cedented-storm

April 7 & 8 Five things to know list: http://news.delta.com/5-things-custo...tions-saturday

April 7th In midst of service fail Delta devalues SkyMiles with partners: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...000-miles.html

April 8th updates on operations: http://news.delta.com/operational-re...ontinues-today

April 12th will be $DAL earnings live and should yield more info: http://ir.delta.com/news-and-events/...s/default.aspx

April 9, 11:40 PM (EDT): What appears to be the last cancellation of the meltdown was made for DL2682/10Apr BOS-LGA (717 aircraft)

April 11th - Delta begins to pay out compensation for impacted travelers: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta-air-lines-skymiles/1835970-early-april-operation-disruption-compensation.html

Other coverage of the event:

Pilots board relating to this epic fail: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/d...-atl-irop.html

Factors compounding delays/cancellations:
  • Weather in ATL April 5
  • DL terminating interline with AA
  • Delta's systems crashing/overloaded
  • DL's crew scheduling system crashed [rumor?]
  • Rumored short-term power outage in ATL A concourse caused by airport construction some time around Tuesday-Wednesday

Current delay statistics: Flightaware's live flight delay and cancellation statistics

News coverage:

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Has Canceled Thousands Of Flights And Everyone Is In Hell - No spring break is safe. (Posted on April 7, 2017, at 11:59 a.m.)

The Southampton Press: Cancelled Flight Dashes Disney Dream For Hampton Bays Marching Band (April 7, 2017 11:30 AM)

USA Today: Thousands of Delta flights canceled days after storms (Published 8:53 a.m. ET April 8, 2017)

CNN - Delta meltdown: Pilots are on hold, too (Updated 6:52 PM ET, Sat April 8, 2017)

The Wall Street Journal - Delta Struggles to Recover From Last Week’s Storms (April 9, 2017 12:23 p.m. ET)

AJC.com: Delta woes stretch into Sunday with more cancellations (11:57 a.m. Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Why one day of thunderstorms turned into a five-day Delta meltdown (12:01 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

Detroit Free Press: Headaches continue for Delta fliers in Detroit (Published 2:26 p.m. ET April 9, 2017 Updated 5:54 p.m. ET April 9, 2017)

CNN - Delta tries to 'normalize' as flight cancellations continue (Updated 4:06 PM ET, Sun April 9, 2017)

New York Times: Storms, Though Over, Still Disrupt Delta Flights (APRIL 9, 2017)

NewsChannel5.com - Nashville Man's Body Stranded After Delta Flight Chaos (4:24 PM April 9, 2017)

CBS North Carolina: Raleigh parents upset after son’s body stranded during Delta flight chaos (April 9, 2017, 8:14 pm Updated: April 10, 2017, 5:35 am)

AJC.com: Delta reassures customers as delays continue through weekend (5:53 p.m Sunday, April 9, 2017)

AJC.com: Hundreds of stranded bags left at Hartsfield-Jackson in aftermath of Delta flight cancellations (9:29 a.m. Monday, April 10, 2017)

Bloomberg: Delta Delays Drag On, Testing Passengers' Patience (April 9, 2017, 4:10 PM EDT Updated On April 10, 2017, 10:13 AM EDT)

BuzzFeedNews: Delta Suffered "Failure of Crew Tracking Systems" During Cancelled Flight Fiasco - "I feel like we are lost in the system." (Originally posted on April 11, 2017, at 3:28 p.m. Updated on April 12, 2017, at 10:38 a.m. )

Reuters (posted on BusinessInsider): Delta's profit drops 36.3% (Apr. 12, 2017, 7:20 AM)

AJC.com - Accused child rapist caught at airport when flight is delayed (7:39 p.m Thursday, April 13, 2017)
Print Wikipost

April 5, 2017: Delta cancels 300 flights due to thunderstorm

Search this Thread

Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I'm friends with the former Lt. Gov. of VA on FB, and he's caught up in this too. Lost two days of his vacation, and had to buy walkup fares on another airline.

That's the third person I know personally who has gotten stuck in this.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:07 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by chrislevin
We are talking about real simple calculations here, I am unsure it really needs a powerful computer to begin with...

Aye, delta, tell the truth and get it resolved asap please.
This actually isn't true at all; resource scheduling for an airline can be oversimplified as a really difficult version of the knapsack problem (basically, selecting a set of items with given weights to maximize the overall benefit).

Computer scientists study algorithms to determine their "computational complexity" - basically, is there a solution that scales linearly or exponentially as the problem size gets bigger. The knapsack problem is well known to be NP (non polynomial) hard to begin with; when you scale it up to the size of an airline's operations the problem is completely intractable to solve "correctly".

You have to start making approximations and optimizations to get it done in any reasonable amount of time, and even then you'll be spending a ton of processor time to figure out a solution that is "pretty good". You can basically pour in as much time as you've got, and the quality and creativity of the software design greatly influences how accurate the results are.

Delta probably precomputes the schedules a long time in advance under normal circumstances and then only has to recalculate late breaking changes. When the whole thing is broken (and changing by the minute), the system may never be catching up because it can't spend enough CPU time to find a solution.

If I'm guessing correctly, the fix is to go to a cloud provider where extra capacity can be ordered on demand in an emergency. But that's a huge undertaking...
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
The crew tracking system never crashed.

The only system that went "down" was SNAPP on Wednesday as updated passenger info was delayed flowing into the program due to all the changes. The crew tracking (or "scheduling system" as some call it) had a similar issue where it was delayed updating crew info due to the sheer volume of flight changes, delays, and cancellations. With a backlog of hundreds of crew changes, it's taking the system much longer than normal to process pairing crews with flights, etc. This is what's contributing to the excessive crew delays that continue on today.

OCC projecting 200 cancellations for today.
If my sewage plant can't handle the load during a heavy storm and overflows and spews sewage into the streets, and it keeps doing so for the next 6 days, did it crash? Or was it just "taking much longer than normal to process"?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM & 5MM, WN
I went and looked through the thread on the airline employee forum that we have been linked to from this thread. It has about 100 posts on it, but a lot of it is an echo chamber.

I see two early posts where employees state they were firmly in line to take assignments and the system simply didn't use them. I guess that would/could be IT. In the later half of the thread there is a discussion where two employees wonder if IT is down when they try to log on. Others say the employee apps are working, an employee tells them how to use the software differently and that seems to solve some, but not all, of their problems.

There is one complaint about the phones. Others say phones are working.

About a half-dozen posts are reasonably specific reports about flights being delayed because the right status, especially of FAs, didn't match up at the time of departure. Slow IT?

There are dozens of generalized posts about what a mess this is.

There are dozens of posts about manpower being stretched too thin, work rules, company politics, union stuff and staff volunteers helping out.

There are dozens of posts that are funny/ironic, etc.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by spongenotbob
If my sewage plant can't handle the load during a heavy storm and overflows and spews sewage into the streets, and it keeps doing so for the next 6 days, did it crash? Or was it just "taking much longer than normal to process"?
Well done; I love a good sewage analogy.

We engineers will jump all over it and dive down to root causes and semantics, but the end result is that it done broke.

In any case I'm pretty sure we can agree that it isn't "weather" at this point.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:41 am

Programs: DL DM MM Marriott Plat Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Justin026
I went and looked through the thread on the airline employee forum that we have been linked to from this thread. It has about 100 posts on it, but a lot of it is an echo chamber.

There are dozens of posts that are funny/ironic, etc.

I saw one post that said....."loyalty is earned in drops but lost in buckets"

We'll see.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:47 am

Programs: Delta Diamond / Million Miler
From what I saw last night flying from ATL to MCO it was defiantly a IT issue. Gates A1, A3 & A7 were all scheduled to go to MCO. Delays ranged between 6 and 2 hours per plane. A7 had pilots but no FAs, A3 was missing 1 pilot and A1 was missing 2 FAs. The crews were trying to save at least 2 flights by consolidating crews. The crews were talking about their Skypro app being down so they could not make crew schedule changes or get updates and assignments. I finally made it out when 2 FAs on DL 2018 that were dead heading to MCO volunteered to get back in uniform and work the flight so they had a full crew.

Last edited by Sc3148; Apr 9, 2017 at 11:57 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 11:51 am

At ~160 DL+DC cancellations today, it hasn't changed much in the last several hours. Whoever recently mentioned that the OCC is predicting no more than 200 today looks about right at the moment.

Edit to re-word: 161 cancellations today as of 1:55pm EDT. "Only" 15 new cancellations in the past 3 hours. Still bad, but improving at an increasing rate. I still think ops can be back to normal by tomorrow afternoon.

Last edited by Widgets; Apr 9, 2017 at 11:56 am
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
No, local officials would call it a "disaster"; reference this recent West Seattle plant failure: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/seattle-sewage-treatment-plant-electrical-failure-pugent-sound/

um... You Can't Stop Seattle(tm)?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:00 pm

What is OCC?
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by WWads
"Computers today" is the key phrase here. Many of DL's systems are 20-30 years old. Regardless if it was overload, or some sort of general systems failure, this is completely Delta's fault at this point.

Delta is slowly marching toward 200 CX (and 1000 delays) today. If we include regional carriers, it will probably go higher than that.
The 30 year old system didn't crash in August when the pretty new SNAPP system went down.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by flyerslc
What is OCC?
OCC is the Operations & Customer Center (formerly the Operations/Control Center) at the General Offices in Atlanta. It's the heart of Delta's operations where flight dispatchers, meteorologists, etc. coordinate.

For a glimpse, here's Richard Anderson's old OCC intro for the onboard safety videos:
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:25 pm

Originally Posted by WWads
Many of DL's systems are 20-30 years old.
Not correct. I worked at the DAT up until about 7 years ago. Even then I can't think of any running these types of systems that were 30 years old. I'm not saying they don't have ANY but I can unequivocally say it is not true that "Many of DL's are 20-30 years old.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:47 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Fly_Delta_Jets
The crew tracking system never crashed.

The only system that went "down" was SNAPP on Wednesday as updated passenger info was delayed flowing into the program due to all the changes. The crew tracking (or "scheduling system" as some call it) had a similar issue where it was delayed updating crew info due to the sheer volume of flight changes, delays, and cancellations. With a backlog of hundreds of crew changes, it's taking the system much longer than normal to process pairing crews with flights, etc. This is what's contributing to the excessive crew delays that continue on today.

OCC projecting 200 cancellations for today.
Which is still a Delta problem. You can't say 'well the weather was bad so our system couldn't keep up'. That means your system failed to deliver what it was supposed to do.

Originally Posted by BenA
"Crashed" and "queue of pending operations so long and system so slow that it's highly dysfunctional" can be two ways to describe the same, grim, situation.
Very much so.

Hah!
Old Apr 9, 2017, 12:52 pm

Programs: AA, DL, WN
Originally Posted by BenA
This actually isn't true at all; resource scheduling for an airline can be oversimplified as a really difficult version of the knapsack problem (basically, selecting a set of items with given weights to maximize the overall benefit).

Computer scientists study algorithms to determine their "computational complexity" - basically, is there a solution that scales linearly or exponentially as the problem size gets bigger. The knapsack problem is well known to be NP (non polynomial) hard to begin with; when you scale it up to the size of an airline's operations the problem is completely intractable to solve "correctly".

You have to start making approximations and optimizations to get it done in any reasonable amount of time, and even then you'll be spending a ton of processor time to figure out a solution that is "pretty good". You can basically pour in as much time as you've got, and the quality and creativity of the software design greatly influences how accurate the results are.

Delta probably precomputes the schedules a long time in advance under normal circumstances and then only has to recalculate late breaking changes. When the whole thing is broken (and changing by the minute), the system may never be catching up because it can't spend enough CPU time to find a solution.

If I'm guessing correctly, the fix is to go to a cloud provider where extra capacity can be ordered on demand in an emergency. But that's a huge undertaking...
I hope, at least, that delta's software and database tracking FAs, pilots is not the same one that manage their customer bookings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.