Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26, 2017, 6:30 am

Think this is a test? I'd think for business purposes it would make sense to do BOS/DCA-SFO OR BOS-LAX/SFO not two completely different city pairs.

I'd think Boston has more D1 demand than DC so i guess i'm surprised they didnt add BOS-LAX instead of DCA-LAX. I've got to assume this is just a test. Give it a year and see how it does with future expansion, if any, based on sales. Maybe they expand to more cities, or maybe it goes the way of JFK-SEA
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:15 am

Programs: HHonors Gold, Hertz 5*, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat, buys Spirit tickets at the airport ticket counter ;-)
Originally Posted by injera
Think this is a test? I'd think for business purposes it would make sense to do BOS/DCA-SFO OR BOS-LAX/SFO not two completely different city pairs.

I'd think Boston has more D1 demand than DC so i guess i'm surprised they didnt add BOS-LAX instead of DCA-LAX. I've got to assume this is just a test. Give it a year and see how it does with future expansion, if any, based on sales. Maybe they expand to more cities, or maybe it goes the way of JFK-SEA
read explanations up thread. likely some combo of aircraft availability, focus city strategy, VX-AS merger and DCA long-haul perimeter slot usage
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by injera

DCA/LAX is one of the most in demand routes. This is far from a test. AS/AA have had DCA/LAX to their self and had no issues getting people to pay for it. DCA/SFO makes no sense from a DL perspective. 1)DCA/LAX is where demand is at, 2)DL has no hub at SFO, and 3)DCA/LAX is where the money is.

Can argue about BOS/SFO vs BOS/LAX but something led DL to believe that BOS/SFO was the better bet then BOS/LAX.

If one of them is going to fail at D1 premiums, I'd say that'll be BOS/SFO. However I don't think that is as big an issue as it ended up being for JFK/SEA.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:22 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by flyerCO
DCA/LAX is one of the most in demand routes. This is far from a test. AS/AA have had DCA/LAX to their self and had no issues getting people to pay for it. DCA/SFO makes no sense from a DL perspective. 1)DCA/LAX is where demand is at, 2)DL has no hub at SFO, and 3)DCA/LAX is where the money is.

Can argue about BOS/SFO vs BOS/LAX but something led DL to believe that BOS/SFO was the better bet then BOS/LAX.

If one of them is going to fail at D1 premiums, I'd say that'll be BOS/SFO. However I don't think that is as big an issue as it ended up being for JFK/SEA.
Definitely. People buy FC seats ex-DCA. The ATL and SLC flights regularly sell out up front, or only have one or two seats left for gate upgrades. Based on what I've seen, the market is certainly there. It appears that DL is matching AA's pricing on this route, and if that remains the case, DL is going to clean AA's clock. I therefore wouldn't be surprised if AA pulls the 737, and puts a transcon A321 on instead.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by WWads
Definitely. People buy FC seats ex-DCA. The ATL and SLC flights regularly sell out up front, or only have one or two seats left for gate upgrades. Based on what I've seen, the market is certainly there. It appears that DL is matching AA's pricing on this route, and if that remains the case, DL is going to clean AA's clock. I therefore wouldn't be surprised if AA pulls the 737, and puts a transcon A321 on instead.
I agree that DL would best AA going head to head on the route in terms of service standards and reliability. OTH, I would be surprised to see AA add A32T on this route. AA can rely on its pseudo-hub at DCA to pull local demand/contracts and relegate it to an inferior inflight experience. That's what #goingforgreat means these days.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:03 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by CHOPCHOP767
I agree that DL would best AA going head to head on the route in terms of service standards and reliability. OTH, I would be surprised to see AA add A32T on this route. AA can rely on its pseudo-hub at DCA to pull local demand/contracts and relegate it to an inferior inflight experience. That's what #goingforgreat means these days.
well said
Old Mar 26, 2017, 10:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold

From a business traffic perspective, I suspect that BOS-SFO was a no-brainer over BOS-LAX. There is much more synergy between the BOS and SFO economies than BOS and LAX. That isn't to say that there will be enough paid premium demand to support the route, but there is a much better chance than BOS-LAX, IMO.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by WWads
I therefore wouldn't be surprised if AA pulls the 737, and puts a transcon A321 on instead.
I'm not sure that AA has the slack in the 32T fleet to be able to offer both DCA-LAX flights while maintaining frequencies on JFK-LAX/SFO and spares to support all. That's a weakness of the 32T subfleet in contrast to Delta's general D1 75S/767/764/332/333 use on premium transcons.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 12:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I'm not sure that AA has the slack in the 32T fleet to be able to offer both DCA-LAX flights while maintaining frequencies on JFK-LAX/SFO and spares to support all. That's a weakness of the 32T subfleet in contrast to Delta's general D1 75S/767/764/332/333 use on premium transcons.
Plus it would mean making DCA/LAX for AA a true FC cabin and business class market. It wouldn't simply be a J/Y product.

MIA-LAX is an AA premium route, but only commands one flight a day that is actually premium. Think they'd put one there before DCA/LAX.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
... Delta's general D1 75S/767/764/332/333 use on premium transcons.
all of which can sub in on BOS/JFK<-->LAX/SFO, but only the 75S can routinely operate at DCA
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:44 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
So what's the deal with widebodies at DCA? Are the gate areas just too tight to accomodate them? I know there have been widebody operations at DCA in the past, but not sure what routes - perhaps the runways are too short for widebodies on transcons carrying a sizable load of fuel but are sufficient for a lightly-loaded widebody doing a relatively short hop to ORD or ATL?
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pvn
So what's the deal with widebodies at DCA? Are the gate areas just too tight to accomodate them? I know there have been widebody operations at DCA in the past, but not sure what routes - perhaps the runways are too short for widebodies on transcons carrying a sizable load of fuel but are sufficient for a lightly-loaded widebody doing a relatively short hop to ORD or ATL?
All correct. DL and others have used wide-bodies during inaugurations and such, but only to nearby hubs. The longest runway is just over 7000 feet. Too short for a fully loaded wide-body headed to the West Coast. The gate space is also an issue.

Right now the largest regularly scheduled planes ex-DCA are UA's 757-300s, usually to DEN and SFO.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 8:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by pvn
Runway is too short.

And I think historically only a handful have operated at DCA in the past all of which were either emergencies or empty proving runs (e.g., the 787 a few years back on its world tour)
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by Duke787
Runway is too short.

And I think historically only a handful have operated at DCA in the past all of which were either emergencies or empty proving runs (e.g., the 787 a few years back on its world tour)
They've been regularly scheduled. The 767 was a regular at one point. Just not in many years.
Old Mar 26, 2017, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
They've been regularly scheduled. The 767 was a regular at one point. Just not in many years.
DL thought about it (route proving runs in Dec 2008) but to my knowledge never actually operated it

my office in Crystal City had a view of the airport; I had been a DL regular for about five years at that point (mostly WAS-XXX-DAY/LAX/SEA/VPS/BOS/ABQ), so I would have been all over a DCA<-->ATL trip on a 763

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.