Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

LAX-DCA,BOS-SFO become Delta One flights

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2017, 6:25 am

Programs: DL DM
GREAT move by Delta. Great service for those willing and able to pay. I had the chance to ride up front on the UA 777 new domestic version. DL1 will blow it out of the water. That 8x up front is AWFUL.

So nice to see DL concentrating on service and amenities up front.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: DL PM; UA 1K; AA 1MM
Originally Posted by WWads
AA is truly a pathetic operation. Apparently 757s with standard domestic first still regularly pop up on TATL routes.
I've never heard of this and don't believe it is correctly.

AA has been slow in refitting their 757s from angle flat to lie-flat (they are finally getter there with the refit). But the angle flat is an international product (albeit an inferior one today). I've never heard of a domestic configured 757 going across the Atlantic.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:51 am
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by ty97
I've never heard of this and don't believe it is correctly.

AA has been slow in refitting their 757s from angle flat to lie-flat (they are finally getter there with the refit). But the angle flat is an international product (albeit an inferior one today). I've never heard of a domestic configured 757 going across the Atlantic.
Agreed...those days of the 757s to Ireland in domestic (Eisenhower) FC seats (that elites could choose for free) are way gone.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:40 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by AANYC1981
Agreed...those days of the 757s to Ireland in domestic (Eisenhower) FC seats (that elites could choose for free) are way gone.
I've read reports about it from as recently as last year. TPG did an article on it.

https://thepointsguy.com/2016/08/tip...s-class-seats/

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Mar 25, 2017 at 1:04 pm
Old Mar 25, 2017, 11:42 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
[QUOTE=minnyfly;28081955]No need to keep up with the Joneses with LAX-BOS. Nobody is making a move. With UA scheduling all flat-bed service this summer on SFO-BOS, DL would be hoeing a hard row with the lowest frequency and neither their F or Y product standing out compared to UA/B6/VX.
QUOTE]

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I would think that BOS-SFO sees a markedly higher proportion of business travelers than BOS-LAX.
Even with a 'hub' in LAX, UA has been unable/unwilling to keep up the frequencies on BOS->LAX. SFO OTH is up to... I think six r/ts a day including an evening 777 service. LAX doesn't command the $$$ that SFO does for BOS.

Second, DL has maintained BOS as focus city with a fair amount of Euro flights and point to point. I suspect their revenue folks realized they could make SFO work if they went with D1 service from BOS. I don't think one more carrier adding premium service (UA, B6 and now DL) will canabalise the yields from the corporate traffic.

Finally, we're starting to see some great competition out of BOS for transcons.^^^ For the longest time it's been either schlep down to JFK/EWR or take a 737/A320 direct.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
Actually, DL had this as a lie flat pretty soon after you could start booking the flights. They declared they were going to go flat before UA made a move IIRC. So, I think this was another case of UA reacting to the market, not the other way around.
The sequence went like this:

About a year ago JetBlue announced Mint. Delta announces the route launch in August. 3 months later Delta upgrades to lie-flat 757s. About 3/4 months after that UA updates to all lie-flat with rumors of P.S. A few weeks later DL announces an upgrade to D1.

And somewhere in all that UA stated flying lie-flat 777s. They all respond to each other. This time is was Delta's turn to react. And UA might officially upgrade to a P.S. product too in yet another resonse. We'll see.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by minnyfly
The sequence went like this:

About a year ago JetBlue announced Mint. Delta announces the route launch in August. 3 months later Delta upgrades to lie-flat 757s. About 3/4 months after that UA updates to all lie-flat with rumors of P.S. A few weeks later DL announces an upgrade to D1.

And somewhere in all that UA stated flying lie-flat 777s. They all respond to each other. This time is was Delta's turn to react. And UA might officially upgrade to a P.S. product too in yet another resonse. We'll see.
Doesn't look like they're doing lie-flat 777s. The 1x daily UA 772 BOS-SFO is the HI version with cradle-style seating.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Doesn't look like they're doing lie-flat 777s. The 1x daily UA 772 BOS-SFO is the HI version with cradle-style seating.
I've been on UA 2400 several times over the past three months, and the seats were lie-flat. This must be a recent configuration change as I've not flown the route in about three weeks with UA. That said, I'll take a DL 757 over UA's 8 across J any day.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 2:18 pm

Programs: DL DM
the cradle seats are being replaced. That is the old layout. The new HI layout is slave ship. 8x lie flat up front, 10x unbearable in back
Old Mar 25, 2017, 7:16 pm

Programs: DL, National, Marriott, Hilton
Originally Posted by mills1090
I'm surprised they did BOS-SFO only and not BOS-LAX as well.
DL doesn't have enough 75S aircraft. Maybe DL will take the 5 75Gs and just put them as 75S instead of a new configuration similar to the 75D.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:30 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Hyatt Globalist
I used a companion certificate to book DCA-LAX-DCA for $920 (for both tickets) in A class. The fare is now $1800 and it looks like it is in the D class, so I guess I'll never get to use a companion certificate for this route again, even if I wanted to pay twice the price.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:35 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by HonoraryOrange
Raising the bar for quality, lowering the value of status. I imagine upgrades weren't hard on those routes, but now they're just not allowed.
Delta's DCA-LAX route will be new; they took their 1,250 mile waiver authority from the DCA-SLC route and moved it to DCA-LAX.

I'm booked on this service in late April and will try to use a RUC to move on up.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 8:46 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
I used a companion certificate to book DCA-LAX-DCA for $920 (for both tickets) in A class. The fare is now $1800 and it looks like it is in the D class, so I guess I'll never get to use a companion certificate for this route again, even if I wanted to pay twice the price.
There are I fares from SFO-JFK that are companion cert eligible, although currently $2k+ on various dates I sampled.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Billy Mumphrey
Why? Just because it's now using the other buckets doesn't change the eligibility.
Old Mar 25, 2017, 9:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
There are I fares from SFO-JFK that are companion cert eligible, although currently $2k+ on various dates I sampled.
Right, companion certs should work with either A or I fares and the D1 routes use the J/C/D/I/Z business fare class categories. While DCA-LAX currently has pretty limited I class availability, I do see a few dates with it -- June 3rd for example. Price is $1628 RT. It's letting me use the companion cert for the D1 flight on June 3rd. I also see 'I' available on LAX-DCA on June 6th, but it's not letting me pick that flight (perhaps they are restricting it beyond the fare class restriction for that date).

Last edited by xliioper; Mar 25, 2017 at 9:57 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.