Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:27 am

Programs: Delta (nee NW), Hilton Diamond. IHG (PT)
Originally Posted by natas43
My answer to them would be that I usually do fly on Sunday, but for some reason the flights yesterday were ~$300 more than if I flew today.
Not that it will help with your present situation, but I often find it cost effective to fly in and out of FNT

The airport there is just off of I69 and it's only a short drive over to Lansing -- depending on where you have to go in the Lansing area that is.

I think the higher Sunday fare may be driven by the fact this is spring break and a Holiday week.

Bob H
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:32 am

Programs: DL-DM; HH-Gold; MR-Silver; Avis-First
Jut got 2500, uninitiated, for a 4hr delay in ATL due to equipment failure/maintenance.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:33 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by matt5596
Jut got 2500, uninitiated, for a 4hr delay in ATL due to equipment failure/maintenance.
How long did that take to post?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:34 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by motytrah
7500 seems a bit on the cheap side. Heck just last week DL shot me about 4K after a equipment change landed me in a hideous 757 F seat (2D) where my knees were almost touching the bulkhead. And I'm just a Silver this year.
Wow. Did you ask, or did the miles just show up.

David
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:34 am

Originally Posted by BobH
Not that it will help with your present situation, but I often find it cost effective to fly in and out of FNT

The airport there is just off of I69 and it's only a short drive over to Lansing -- depending on where you have to go in the Lansing area that is.

I think the higher Sunday fare may be driven by the fact this is spring break and a Holiday week.

Bob H
I do utilize FNT quite often. Next week I'm in and out of GRR, but the car rentals there tend to be a bit higher. I like to go into LAN when I have to fly on Mondays because I can get in to work an hour sooner and leave on Friday an hour later. It's all about the bottom line (mine!)

Just checked the status of the 5:55AM flight...and it is still at the gate, now with an estimated departure of 12 noon.

Last edited by natas43; Mar 29, 2010 at 8:41 am
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:47 am

Programs: LH/SWISS FTL (*A Silver)
Okay, just to get all straight:
  1. You select your place of departure based on a couple $ price difference in rental car cost
  2. You fly on a tight schedule because it saves your customer some 300 $ and risk not being able to work in case things go bad
  3. You complain that because of an unexpected mechanical failure -which can happen anytime- you missed a day of work because (see above) and hope for some miles to compensate you for that
Don't know abut your set of priorities and the value of these miles to you, but those are some strange values you hae
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:57 am

Originally Posted by Few-Flyer
  1. You select your place of departure based on a couple $ price difference in rental car cost
  2. You fly on a tight schedule because it saves your customer some 300 $ and risk not being able to work in case things go bad
  3. You complain that because of an unexpected mechanical failure -which can happen anytime- you missed a day of work because (see above) and hope for some miles to compensate you for that
Don't know abut your set of priorities and the value of these miles to you, but those are some strange values you hae
Here we go....I asked a simple question regarding possible compensation for a mechanical delay of 7 hours. You flame me and question my values? I gave all of the details about the delay. My choice of where to fly into or out of has nothing to do with the issue regarding the delay.

I merely responded to a cordial post by another FT member with a suggestion because LAN does tend to be pricey. I responded to that post. My client requires that I book the lowest fare. Would they like me there first thing Monday morning? Absolutely. Do they like it when I save them hundreds of dollars? Absolutely, even if it means I will be a few hours late on Monday. I still make up the time over the course of the week.

Miles are my personal payoff for being away from my wife and kids for 5 days a week. It allows me to take my 5 kids on nice vacations every summer to locations that would be way to costly for me to afford to take 7 people.

So again, if you can't add value to a simple question, please refrain from responding.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by DiverDave
Wow. Did you ask, or did the miles just show up.

David
I did send DL a short note. Strongly worded, but professional.

... snip ...
  1. You complain that because of an unexpected mechanical failure -which can happen anytime- you missed a day of work because (see above) and hope for some miles to compensate you for that
...snip...
There was an MX that resulted in a very long delay. OP is due miles. Is he due anything more than miles? No. I'd say 15+K.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:12 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by natas43
Here we go....I asked a simple question regarding possible compensation for a mechanical delay of 7 hours. You flame me and question my values? I gave all of the details about the delay. My choice of where to fly into or out of has nothing to do with the issue regarding the delay.
fwiw, it's brought up because you added the initial commentary regarding missing work and no pay ("...7 hours late. No work for me today- no work means I do not get paid"). if you're going to add it to your post, it becomes fair game for people to comment on (and it almost always gets commented on).
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:37 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by edscholl
fwiw, it's brought up because you added the initial commentary regarding missing work and no pay ("...7 hours late. No work for me today- no work means I do not get paid"). if you're going to add it to your post, it becomes fair game for people to comment on (and it almost always gets commented on).
With experience, comes learnings.

I no longer trust any airline (least of all the one run by DL management) to get me reliably to a location the day of an important engagement.

I'm just keeping my fingers crossed in hopes that we don't get into the position where departing two days before the engagement becomes the prudent standard of care.

I left on a 6:00 AM flight on my last trip because there were going to be 14 students in a conference room the next morning, waiting for me to teach... so there was no room for failure. I selected 6:00 AM to allow for a "second chance" later in the day... anticipating that only my PM status would actually allow me to access a "second chance"... if it even existed.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 10:51 am

Programs: Skyteam
I was 1.5 hours delayed. Received 5000 miles 3 weeks ago.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 11:27 am

Wow! Talk about WEIRD values and and priorities...so saving money for your employer, your customer and trying to avoid missing a day of work are all "...strange values.." Get off the koolaide....
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:10 pm

Made it to DTW finally, 7 hours late. Just checked the status of the 5:55AM flight....an estimated departure of 5:45PM. Lots of people opted to stay on that flight. Glad I wasn't one of them!
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Personally I think at least 15k since you were delayed 7hrs due to mechanical. Those other people that are looking at a 12+ hour delay should be getting credit vouchers for free flights or a pile of miles... but I don't know what DL's policy is for that.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan
Personally I think at least 15k since you were delayed 7hrs due to mechanical. Those other people that are looking at a 12+ hour delay should be getting credit vouchers for free flights or a pile of miles... but I don't know what DL's policy is for that.
Well, it's raining in PHL... blame it on the weather?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.