Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:16 pm

Programs: CO OnePass Platinum AS MVP HHonors Diamond SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Krakajax
One thing everyone is forgetting about.

This is CANADA and what rules US has re: compensation et al
does NOT necessarily apply.... on a "free" award ticket to boot--

With OP's scenario as described I don't see what circumstance would entitle for any compensation...
However, travel originated in the US. The departure delay was in ATL. Compensation, if any, would be based on the same "rules" as a domestic ticket.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 10:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by cellist
So, since we're agreed that 3.5 hours doesn't constitute a "severe" delay, let's have a quick poll of how long it takes for a delay to become severe.

I vote for 12 hours.
Originally Posted by daveland
I lost something like 14 hours out of a 48 hour trip on AA a few months ago
I don't think there is any objective way to judge what makes a delay "severe".

In daveland's case I would say it was.

I am going to spend over three weeks in the States soon and I would have to say that even a 48 hour delay in beginning that trip would not be severe for me.

Of course, if I were planning on landing in PBI 90 minutes before the up-coming Meet begins, I would consider any delay -- including getting stuck in traffic on I-95 -- to be severe.
Old Sep 1, 2007, 11:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Acapulco - Gold, Panama - Red, Timothy Leary 8 Mile High Club
Of course it's all relative, but I don't consider a delay severe if I get to my destination on the correct day.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 12:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by letflyingbefunagain
Hi -- I'm writing after getting to Montreal at 12:45 AM on what is now a shorter weekend after spending 50,000 miles to get here from ATL. The flight was supposed to get in at 8:15. Can I even attempt to get compensation for a delay like that? I only ask because since I used miles it might be easier for Delta to let "refund" to my account. Thanks for any responses.
You're joking, right?
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:00 am

Ok, Ok, I get it. Delays are going to occur. Still, I will maintain that the arriving posted upon the internet is WRONG. I was just writing to see if anyone had success in the past. I know that if it was money, I'd have LESS of a chance.....
Old Sep 2, 2007, 7:23 am
doh

Programs: AAdvantage Platinum, HHonors Diamond VIP
Originally Posted by BamaVol
Of course it's all relative, but I don't consider a delay severe if I get to my destination on the correct day.
The sad part is the airlines have lowered our expectations to the point that we are just thrilled if they don't cancel the flight and stick us with the bill! That is truly sad.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by doh
The sad part is the airlines have lowered our expectations to the point that we are just thrilled if they don't cancel the flight and stick us with the bill! That is truly sad.
It's not just airlines. They are trying to get you there. The current system (ATC/airlines/airports) just can't handle the smallest of weather issues.
Old Sep 2, 2007, 9:25 am

Programs: Delta, Turkish Elite, American
I went to Chile in July on Delta, on NW miles and my flight from ATL-Santiago was canceled due to mechanical issues. I had to wait for the next days flight and lost a day of my vacation. I complained in the CRC in e concourse and tho they didn't upgrade me (which was a long shot, but still my request), they changed my fare class on that flight from N to Y and it yielded 150% of the mileage (7042 miles). I also complained by email and got an additional 2500 miles. So I basically got back 20% of the cost in miles of the flight.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:12 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (LTPP) , United Silver
COMPENSATION from ATL delay??

I was already in HNL, I flew out on Monday 8/27. Mr FTcritter was flying mco-atl-hnl on Aug 29. Weather caused the plane to circle for an hour before landing. (That hour was the time he was suppose to be waiting to catch the next flight.) DL 555 MCO-ATl was 1:50- 3:22 and DL851 ATL-HNL was 4:20pm-7:52pm. The MCO-ATL crew announced several times on the plane to not worry that no planes were arriving or taking off. Arrival into ATL was gate A20 and departure for HNL plane was A16. Mr FTcritter only had carryon so he was prepared to get to the gate quickly. Unfortunately, pulled in to A20 at 4:35 while at A16 the HNL plane was backing out. Delta only offered him a discount hotel night that he had to pay, free drink coupon, and a confirmed ticket for 10:10am the next day Aug 30!! His delay in Atlanta was 4:35pm Wed to 10:10am Thurs. Instead of him arriving in Honolulu at 7:52 wed night it was 1:45 thurs afternoon!! He asked for them to comp him the hotel but with no success. Would a letter to Delta produce any compensation or is he not allowed any compensation??? I was under the impression that the old rule 240 allowed for a free hotel if the passenger was delayed more than 4 hours or delayed overnight if the delay occured at a connection city (not at the departure city). What would be appropriate request for compensation? I am trying to get "my ducks in a row" before asking Delta. Thanks!!
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:20 pm

Programs: DL Employee
Hi

first I want to appolgize for the inconvience the weather caused you.

As far as any compensation, what you receievded from the staff at the airport is pretty standard.

For a weather delay there is no other compensation because it is not the airline industry's faught when it comes to that.

You can still write in or speak to a supervisor if you want, but that is more than likely what answer you are gonna get as well.

DISCLAIMER:::

I do not speak for Delta Air Lines, nor has Delta Air Lines endoresed my posting here.
Old Sep 4, 2007, 11:48 pm

Programs: skymiles
Compensation is not given for anything out of the airline's control such as weather.Rule 240 is only for reprotection for delays/cancellations/misconnections caused by the airline such as mechanical,crew,maintenance etc.
Weather,ground stops or ATC delays are in no way an airlines fault.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 6:03 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum (LTPP) , United Silver
Unhappy current 240

Where can I find the current rule 240 for Delta? I found one on mytravelrights.com. Since I don't know how old it is, is why I am asking if there is anything more current.

But from the two Delta insider replys, it looks like there is no compensation and no letter to Delta.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:41 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by FTcritter
Where can I find the current rule 240 for Delta? I found one on mytravelrights.com. Since I don't know how old it is, is why I am asking if there is anything more current.

But from the two Delta insider replys, it looks like there is no compensation and no letter to Delta.
http://images.delta.com.edgesuite.ne...rriage_dom.pdf

As others have said, no compensation is due for weather delays.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 8:48 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
Here's an interesting twist on flight delay compensation. It's especially relevant given the increasing issues with getting planes to the gate at ATL.

We were coming in from DEN on 730 last Thursday evening. Arrived on the ground slightly ahead of schedule. But we spent 25 minutes parked between concourses waiting for another DL flight to clear our gate. Fortunately for me, I didn't have a connection to make. But what about someone who missed their connecting flight because of this delay? Is this DL's fault? It was a DL flight blocking our gate.
Old Sep 5, 2007, 9:55 am

Programs: DL Employee
Originally Posted by GeorgeBurdell
Here's an interesting twist on flight delay compensation. It's especially relevant given the increasing issues with getting planes to the gate at ATL.

We were coming in from DEN on 730 last Thursday evening. Arrived on the ground slightly ahead of schedule. But we spent 25 minutes parked between concourses waiting for another DL flight to clear our gate. Fortunately for me, I didn't have a connection to make. But what about someone who missed their connecting flight because of this delay? Is this DL's fault? It was a DL flight blocking our gate.

As long as the flight due to leave the gate was not delayed due to weather and or ATC Ground Delay,

then yes it may have been Delta's faught, but since not at a work station right now I cannot look up reason for actual delay,

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.