Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2009, 3:53 pm

Programs: Bonvoy (Titanium) . Delta (Platinum)
FWIW:

The Weather Channel last night was reporting 3 hour ground delays at JFK. I am not sure why. But whatever the cause it was definitely not a DL/NW issue. It looks like the inbound from DTW departed a few minutes early, and still arrived at JFK 45 min late, and things probably snowballed from there.

So no compensation for you.
Old May 17, 2009, 4:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM / Hilton Diamond
Now, I am no weather "expert" by any means, BUT here is a METAR from JFK for yesterday:

KJFK 170119Z 18016KT 1/16SM R04R/1800V2000FT FG VV001 16/15 A2993 RMK AO2 SFC VIS 1/8

If you cannot read it, visibility was 1/16th of a mile with a 100 foot vertical visibility.

Personally I would not want to pilot a plane in those conditions, or be a passenger on it.

Also, the OP must have noticed this by looking out the window?!
Old May 17, 2009, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL GM/MM
That weather is below legal minimums for Cat II operations and, I believe, for Cat III as well because of the 330 foot visibility (600 feet is required).

Net result: delay due to weather.
Old May 17, 2009, 4:59 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by miledlaa

This was my wife's first flight alone...and she was traumatized by the DL/NW agent behavior...who asked for another full fare payment, for rebooking for next available flight to nearest airport..and just plain refused to help my wife with giving a hotel stay. With 4 year old being sleepy and hungry drove him crazy, driving my traumatized wife speechless and she went blank.

Luckily, We had a friend's friend who helped out my wife and son and gave a stay at his home, which is 20mins from the airport at midnight.
Apart from all the struggle & trauma my wife went through, I was wondering, is it right to expect airlines to help with hotel stay/meal vouchers.
She is right now still waiting for her flight(05/17) at the gate at the DTW...and I am hoping/praying her luggage which was checked in yesterday at JFK will arrive along with her flight.

Thanks
If you decide to communicate your complaints to DL management, I would strongly urge you to reconsider some of the diction you used in your post. Of course, the situation sucked. Who likes an overnight delay with no compensation? But using hyperbolic words like "trauma" and "traumatized" will get you little to nowhere in customer service. I don't have an MD, but trauma is something far more serious than your wife went through. Did it suck? Sure. But traumatic in its true definition? I doubt it.
Old May 18, 2009, 6:18 am

Thanks for all the responses.
I wont complain about this...as most of you felt its due to weather.
I felt it wasn't weather...as other flights at the same time weren't....but...hey..I am not a frequent flyer...quite
Old May 18, 2009, 6:29 am

Programs: Used to have a bunch of shiny metallic cards. That was one life ago.
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 4.01; Windows CE; PPC; 240x320))

Since it's an award ticket, you probably didn't have many options. But, a 2 hr layover for an international flight when starting in JFK would make me nervous even on a blue sky day. In the future, you may want to try to build more time into your international itineraries. The good news for your return is that there are many daily flights from ATL to NYC area airports that your family can be accommodated on in case of delay.

EDIT: Ignore everything above. I misread OP.

Last edited by jbatl; May 19, 2009 at 4:34 am
Old May 18, 2009, 6:41 am

Originally Posted by jbatl
Since it's an award ticket, you probably didn't have many options. But, a 2 hr layover for an international flight when starting in JFK would make me nervous even on a blue sky day. In the future, you may want to try to build more time into your international itineraries. The good news for your return is that there are many daily flights from ATL to NYC area airports that your family can be accommodated on in case of delay.
Just curious, how is Peoria, IL an international destination?

Since I don't live in NYC, I try to avoid connections at any NYC area airports b/c there is usually an ATC issue when I have to go there. One time my plane was #41 to take off from JFK and they said that was just rush hour. It took over an hour from pushback to take off.

Flights are technically "On Time" if they push back from the gate ontime. Just b/c the other flights were "On Time" out of the terminal doesn't mean they didn't also take forever to take off and ended up delayed to their destination.
Old May 18, 2009, 7:03 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
I was wondering.. if there were other options.. late night flight to near cities like Bloomington, Quad city or Springfield.

It might have been better to drive 2hr to pick them up than having one night at DTW hotel.
Old May 18, 2009, 3:52 pm

Programs: DL Gold, CO Silver
Originally Posted by poohhead80
I was wondering.. if there were other options.. late night flight to near cities like Bloomington, Quad city or Springfield.

It might have been better to drive 2hr to pick them up than having one night at DTW hotel.
If it was only a two hour drive and my partner was "traumatized" I'd be jumping in the car to get them-no question !
Old May 18, 2009, 5:31 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Originally Posted by duchy
If it was only a two hour drive and my partner was "traumatized" I'd be jumping in the car to get them-no question !
What i am saying is.. if there was a flight to other cities within 2hr drive from your final destination, then it can be an option for your partner to ask GA to get the boarding pass of that flight
Old May 19, 2009, 3:51 am

They tried asking for nearest airports including chicago...don't know if there were flights are not...but the delta rep was just rude and refused.
Old May 19, 2009, 7:19 am

Programs: DL DM, 2MM
They tried asking for nearest airports including chicago...don't know if there were flights are not...but the delta rep was just rude and refused.
Whenever I'm in this situation and realize I'm going to miss a connection, I immediately call SMS. The GAs are often so frustrated themselves in these situations that they're often unhelpful. A similar situation happened last week with my sister and I trying to get to the same destination from different cities. I called and got rerouted on a non-DL flight. She went to the GA and was told to take the same flight 24 hrs later. Message: Never use GA's for IRROPS if you can avoid it.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:19 am

Sorry...what do you imply by "call SMS"...nor I understand the abbrevation GA & IRROPS...can you expand please.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:24 am

Sorry...what do you imply by "call SMS"...nor I understand the abbrevation GA & IRROPS...can you expand please.
There is a glossary on FT http://www.flyertalk.com/glossary/ but it would have only helped with GA.

SMS = the delta call center. The number is on the back of your skymiles card.
GA = gate agent...the agent working the departure gate
IRROPS = irregular operations. pretty much any time things aren't going as planned. If the ATC has everyone in a flow control pattern you're in IRROPS.
Old May 19, 2009, 9:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
SMS is Delta's dedicated phone customer service line for Medallions. (SMS is now PSS: Premium Sales & Service).

GA is Gate Agent

IRROPS is Irregular Opeations

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.