Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 29, 2010, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Lol...to be cynical, I wouldn't be surprised if the status gets changed to WX from MX... especially if the part was delayed because of the weather, or if the rescheduled flight time gets pushed out by even a minute due to weather.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:18 pm

Programs: DL GM/2.7MM, Marriott Lifetime PL, SPG Lifetime PL,Hilton Gold, Natl Lifetime Exec Elite
Don't know if this helps but I was on a MX delay out of SLC to ATL on the 15th, about 4 and 1/2 hours late leaving the gate. A few days ago 15,000 miles showed in my account with a notion of "Customer Relations Bonus" listed as the reason. I received a snail mail letter yesterday apologizing for the delay. I never asked for anything but it was sure nice that to have someone proactivly decide my lost time was worth something ^.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:32 pm

Originally Posted by MM/PM widget
Don't know if this helps but I was on a MX delay out of SLC to ATL on the 15th, about 4 and 1/2 hours late leaving the gate. A few days ago 15,000 miles showed in my account with a notion of "Customer Relations Bonus" listed as the reason. I received a snail mail letter yesterday apologizing for the delay. I never asked for anything but it was sure nice that to have someone proactivly decide my lost time was worth something ^.
The auto relations on MX was a NW thing. It seems they brought it over with the NW loyalty system.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 3:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by rylan
Lol...to be cynical, I wouldn't be surprised if the status gets changed to WX from MX... especially if the part was delayed because of the weather, or if the rescheduled flight time gets pushed out by even a minute due to weather.
I don't have to feel cynical, because I once had that happen to me.

Sat on a plane for 3 or 4 hours at BWI awaiting a part to arrive from CVG. As the repair was being completed, a summer thunderstorm came through and delayed us further.

Arrived into ATL long after the last possible connection to LAX had left... and was told by the DL counter agent that I was not entitled to accommodations, since it had been a weather delay.

I held my ground, and prevailed. But, I suspect a non-assertive, non-Plat would have been paying the hotel bill himself.

Similar situation, in PHL. Got to the gate and saw that the flight was posted to leave 10 minutes early. One of the two GA left, and the remaining GA could not handle all she had to do. Ended up pushing back about 25 minutes late. Then had a much smaller ATC hold on the taxiway (5 to 10 minutes). Then lost more time en route. That flight went into the record as ATC delay.

I learned three valuable lessons on the latter flight:

1) Never trust an connection time of less than 1 hr in ATL
2) Through flights (same flight numbers) do not mean that you will be on the same plane for your second flight
3) DL management may market A fares as FC, but you may have to fight like hell to keep your FC status in the event of an IRROP.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:04 pm

I had a partner flight canceled that I booked on delta.com. They rerouted me back from another airport a 20+ hour bus ride away. Got 5500 miles and a $100 voucher after vociferous complaining.

Good luck.

Edit: Actually, the partner flight wasn't canceled, just my seat on it. With no notification, mind you. I called the partner airline about a seat assignment which is when I found out.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:39 pm

Programs: Ex DL-DM. MM. TWA-Aviator Plat. HHonors-DVIP, MR-Gold. Nat-Emerald. Avis Chairmn.
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
I don't have to feel cynical, because I once had that happen to me.

Sat on a plane for 3 or 4 hours at BWI awaiting a part to arrive from CVG. As the repair was being completed, a summer thunderstorm came through and delayed us further.

Arrived into ATL long after the last possible connection to LAX had left... and was told by the DL counter agent that I was not entitled to accommodations, since it had been a weather delay.
+1. similar fate..several times.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 4:54 pm

Programs: Delta KM, United 1K, SPG plat
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
was told by the DL counter agent that I was not entitled to accommodations, since it had been a weather delay.
this is not DL-specific. But MAN does that excuse tick me off. Would they waive the rebooking fee if I showed up late to the airport due to a weather delay of my own?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Thanks for (most) everyone's feedback. I think I'll still send an email, even if the auto system would kick in on its own. I think that they need to know how unacceptable it is to delay a flight 12 hours and tell some of the passengers to wait out the delay and not change their flight.

A bit confused....DL.com says that the flight 7251's gate is OPS and has an estimated departure of 7:00PM, but flightaware says that the flight left at 6:33PM and is currently at 28k feet- but the tracker doesn't show that the flight is in the air. My guess is that it is now delayed 13+ hours. Why not just cancel at this point?
Old Mar 29, 2010, 5:26 pm

Programs: DL GM, WN AL/CP, UA Silver, Marriott Lifetime Titanium
Originally Posted by natas43
Here we go....I asked a simple question regarding possible compensation for a mechanical delay of 7 hours. You flame me and question my values? I gave all of the details about the delay. My choice of where to fly into or out of has nothing to do with the issue regarding the delay.

I merely responded to a cordial post by another FT member with a suggestion because LAN does tend to be pricey. I responded to that post. My client requires that I book the lowest fare. Would they like me there first thing Monday morning? Absolutely. Do they like it when I save them hundreds of dollars? Absolutely, even if it means I will be a few hours late on Monday. I still make up the time over the course of the week.

Miles are my personal payoff for being away from my wife and kids for 5 days a week. It allows me to take my 5 kids on nice vacations every summer to locations that would be way to costly for me to afford to take 7 people.

So again, if you can't add value to a simple question, please refrain from responding.
+1... some can't resist making themselves feel superior to OPs posting questions. Sorry for that, pay no heed.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 3:42 am

Programs: LH/SWISS FTL (*A Silver)
Although I shoud not respond anymore all I was trying to say is that with all your complaints (not ment negative!), I think you should ask for something else but some miles in your account!

If I am endangered to being not able to work for a full day due to the possibility of missing a flight (incl. connecting), I would try to arrive early enough to cover myself a little bit.

Finally, I am sure that a full day of work (and income!) is worth more than either $300 for the more expensive flight and definitely more than some miles in your frequent flyer account.............

And now I shut up and let everybody write what they think
Old Mar 30, 2010, 5:21 am

I was delayed 3 hours this morning on DL, CVG to TPA. Op told me it was mechanical, no other flights anywhere (CVG is getting to be this way).
She offered me nothing and asked "what I wanted".
Once I spoke with her supervisor I was offered $100DL, I asked for "every flight I currently have booked (3) to be upgraded and 6000 miles".
I got 12k miles and today's flight upgraded.
How did I do?

I'm still upset at the autobot that calls you...it says that "its sorry", but doesn't tell you why. I thought I was having a dream about The Terminator.
Old Mar 30, 2010, 4:14 pm

Originally Posted by natas43
Wanted some opinions on this one....I am scheduled to fly PHL>DTW>LAN today, and was on flight 7251 (5:55AM PHL departure, then connect to LAN getting in around 9:30AM). I was then going straight to work for ~6 hours.

We get on board this morning, and after everyone finally get their luggage squared away, the captain informs us that they were unable to get the battery charger online, and that this is a no go situation. He contacted maintenance, but maintenance does not get in until 6AM (is it too much to ask Delta to actually have mechanics on site during hours they have flights? DL has at least 3 flights out of PHL that leave before 6AM- and one other one also had a mechanical this morning!).

He informs us that maintenance should arrive in 15 minutes. Maintenance arrives, and since I am in the front row, I overhear everything. They were unable to get it to work, so the mechanic had to go below. He comes back to say the unit is fried and they need to fly one in from Detroit. By now it is 6:30AM. They contacted OPS to see what to do with the passengers. About 15 minutes later, they tell us to deplane and rebook with the GA.

I was #2 in line, but was able to call the Medallion line and get rebooked. The first flight that they have availability on is the 12:40PM flight out of PHL today, which means I won't get to LAN until 4:35PM, 7 hours late. No work for me today- no work means I do not get paid.

So, my question is, do I write to DL about this and seek some miles or a voucher or something? If so, what do you think is a fair amount? I'm out several hundred dollars by not working today. Luckily the US Air club allows SC members....

How much did you pay for your ticket? RT or OW? I would look at those things before I offered you anything....I would of course take into account the status of the flier as well....
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:09 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, UA Premier Platinum, National Executive
Compensation for delayed flight

Hi,
I wanted to check with the Gurus here before I wrote to DL. I was scheduled on an MCI->MEM->BWI flight yesterday scheduled to reach BWI at 11.40 am. The first flight was on time. However when I got to MEM, the connecting flight to BWI was first delayed by 1.5 hours and then canceled due to problem with the landing gear. All subsequent flights were either oversold or had very few seats on it that the red jackets got some folks on to, but did not get me on. Finally after running from gate to gate for over 5 hours trying to get on any flight to ATL, CVG, DTW etc in order to get to any WAS area airports, I got onto a flight to DCA through DTW and reached DCA at 7.10 pm. This was a delay of 7.5 hours and that too ending at the wrong airport. My car is still in BWI.

What is the fair/legal compensation that I can ask DL for this?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
If it was NW, I'd have guessed they would throw some miles at you, say 10k-25k. I'd guess a lot less with DL, but I guess it depends on how you approach them. At least you got home.
Old Apr 16, 2010, 8:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Starwood Platinum
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
If it was NW, I'd have guessed they would throw some miles at you, say 10k-25k. I'd guess a lot less with DL, but I guess it depends on how you approach them. At least you got home.
After some of the posts I've read on here what FTers have received, it seems that DL has been more generous lately.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.