Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2009, 7:36 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Jazzop
Thus far no one except the OP knows the exact details of what happened, so please put the standard flame-fest on hold.

Nonetheless, experienced travelers usually schedule trips with <90 min connection times with the expectation that they will misconnect, not the other way around.
I agree, if you miss a connection that can blow the whole day. I can not book multi city travel with we will get you their sometime that day. Yes I leave some wiggle room, but if the airlines can not be reliable, why schedule the meeting at all.
Old Sep 27, 2009, 11:05 pm

Originally Posted by skoker
The analogy I was trying to make is that if a mechanical difficulty causes you to miss something, it's not the end of the world. Your rebuttal completely left out the part about compensation for the event (or in my example, work time) missed, which was the entire point I was trying to get across.
Actually I modified your analogy so that it was more similar to the OP's situation. His thread title was "90 minute delay. Any compensation." While he mentioned missing two events, he appeared to be inquiring only about compensation for the delay, not the missed events. In your analogy, it would be a distortion of the OP's request, to compare it to asking for compensation of missed work because of a blown tire. Again, here's the OP.
Originally Posted by leongood
I just flew ATL-TPA - a journey of about 90 mins. We were delayed and arrived 90 mins late due to an air conditioning failure.
I realize that 90 minutes is not the longest delay we've ever experienced, but it caused me to miss two events out of my two day trip. Does DL have a compensation policy, or is it case-by-case? I was flying on a CO OnePass FF #. Do they sometimes give miles, and would that include non DL customers?
Thanks
These were general statements, not directed towards the OP per se. I fault myself for not including a line break to make that more clear.
I understood well those were generalized statements, with line breaks or not, but my point was your frustration (apparently coming from having to deal with many) with "people making stupid plans" caused you to have the same reaction to the OP asking a question that he just needed some clarification with. A simple "yes" or "no" would have been enough if your intention, as you stated, was to help:
I want to help, and have probably have helped more than anybody on this thread, purely for the fact that I deal with these passengers on a daily basis, at a job that pays me virtually nothing.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 3:11 am

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
Waiting for one of my former NW peers to pipe in with a blast DL for not doing what NW would have done....
NW Peer here.

OP is nuts. Scheduled arrival times should be regarded as the start of a 2-hour window of when you will actually arrive. This is true of pretty much any carrier; allow for even more time when flying internationally.

Planes are extremely complicated beasts; it's just the way it is.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 4:37 am

Originally Posted by JimAtl
Actually I modified your analogy so that it was more similar to the OP's situation. His thread title was "90 minute delay. Any compensation." While he mentioned missing two events, he appeared to be inquiring only about compensation for the delay, not the missed events. In your analogy, it would be a distortion of the OP's request, to compare it to asking for compensation of missed work because of a blown tire. Again, here's the OP.
But when you use the two missed events in making your case for compensation for the delay... If the OP didn't think it was part of the reasoning for compensation due it wouldn't have/shouldn't have been added in the OP's OP.

I understood well those were generalized statements, with line breaks or not, but my point was your frustration (apparently coming from having to deal with many) with "people making stupid plans" caused you to have the same reaction to the OP asking a question that he just needed some clarification with. A simple "yes" or "no" would have been enough if your intention, as you stated, was to help:
Well I'm sorry if I felt like saying something on an open forum. There's a scroll bar for a reason, posters like zsmith2 liked what I had to say, if you didn't there's nobody forcing you to read it....
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:03 pm
Moderator: Hilton Honors forums

Originally Posted by JimAtl
So the OP doesn't appear to be very knowledgeable about Delta TechOps.. Should he be flamed by others (mods included) for asking the "wrong" question or lack of knowledge about Delta maintainance? While he may have been mis-informed, he did not become defensive until after the disparaging remarks started.
Forgive me for my confusion to what you posted, but for clarification purposes: are you saying I “flamed” leongood?

All I was attempting to point out is that it is very easy to criticize the maintenance of the fleet of Delta Air Lines aircraft until one actually tours the Technical Operations Center, where opinions have been known to change — dramatically, in some cases — after the tour concludes. What they do there is simply nothing short of amazing, in my opinion.

To answer your question, no — I do not believe that leongood should be “flamed” by other FlyerTalk members.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:09 pm

Programs: DL Plat, 1 MM; SPG LT Plat (RIP); Marriott LT Titanium; Fairmont Plat (RIP), DL Kryptonium Medallion
I've said it before, and this thread warrants repeating it: people shouldn't be allowed to post until they have a minimum number of posts.
Old Sep 28, 2009, 9:21 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
I've said it before, and this thread warrants repeating it: people shouldn't be allowed to post until they have a minimum number of posts.
Then how does one make their first post? :-D
Old Sep 29, 2009, 4:56 am

Programs: DL - KM DM, DL 1.57 MM, UA - 1P, AA - EXP HH - Diamond, PC - Platinum, SPG - Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by Spent_All_My_Miles
Classic ^ BWAAAHAHAHA
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:11 pm

Programs: DL PM, AA, HH Silver, Priority Gold
2 MX delays, what is compensation

Hi,

Family member flew on a CRJ that went mechanical at the gate. Everyone had already boarded and no one was allowed to de-plane. The delay was 1:20 which the flight landed in MSP 5 min b4 the connecting flight. Misconnect and auto-rebook on next flight. Once that flight was boarded, mechanical said something didn't look right with the Voice Recorder Box and waited for a part to be flown in from ATL. Passengers kept on-board while the delay was 90 minutes. Free headphones for all

Family finally arrived in LAS 3hours 46 min late. Only compensation offered by NW was the auto-rebook. No food voucher or anything. No NW GAs around upon arrival and DL GAs said call NW.

With 2 mechanical delays and arriving just under 4 hours late, should compensation be awarded?
Old Oct 27, 2009, 10:22 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HH Diamond, Avis First
Yes, you should get something for mech delays (if only miles). Try calling the new Northwest Corporate Customer Care: (701) 420-6282

Thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...atl-today.html
Old Oct 28, 2009, 2:32 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Just curious - are the policies for mechancal delays (and compensation for such) different for DL connection carriers than for DL itself?

I always seem to get delayed on ASA and they don't seem to offer any compensation, not even a measly 500 SkyMiles. The last time I was delayed, I had to argue with the gate agent that I was eligible for a meal voucher.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:36 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Suggested compensation for 7 hour delay?

Wanted some opinions on this one....I am scheduled to fly PHL>DTW>LAN today, and was on flight 7251 (5:55AM PHL departure, then connect to LAN getting in around 9:30AM). I was then going straight to work for ~6 hours.

We get on board this morning, and after everyone finally get their luggage squared away, the captain informs us that they were unable to get the battery charger online, and that this is a no go situation. He contacted maintenance, but maintenance does not get in until 6AM (is it too much to ask Delta to actually have mechanics on site during hours they have flights? DL has at least 3 flights out of PHL that leave before 6AM- and one other one also had a mechanical this morning!).

He informs us that maintenance should arrive in 15 minutes. Maintenance arrives, and since I am in the front row, I overhear everything. They were unable to get it to work, so the mechanic had to go below. He comes back to say the unit is fried and they need to fly one in from Detroit. By now it is 6:30AM. They contacted OPS to see what to do with the passengers. About 15 minutes later, they tell us to deplane and rebook with the GA.

I was #2 in line, but was able to call the Medallion line and get rebooked. The first flight that they have availability on is the 12:40PM flight out of PHL today, which means I won't get to LAN until 4:35PM, 7 hours late. No work for me today- no work means I do not get paid.

So, my question is, do I write to DL about this and seek some miles or a voucher or something? If so, what do you think is a fair amount? I'm out several hundred dollars by not working today. Luckily the US Air club allows SC members....
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:42 am

Programs: DL 0.22 MM, AA 0.34 MM, PC Plat Amb, Hertz #1 GC 5*
Originally Posted by natas43
Wanted some opinions on this one....I am scheduled to fly PHL>DTW>LAN today, and was on flight 7251 (5:55AM PHL departure, then connect to LAN getting in around 9:30AM). I was then going straight to work for ~6 hours.

We get on board this morning, and after everyone finally get their luggage squared away, the captain informs us that they were unable to get the battery charger online, and that this is a no go situation. He contacted maintenance, but maintenance does not get in until 6AM (is it too much to ask Delta to actually have mechanics on site during hours they have flights? DL has at least 3 flights out of PHL that leave before 6AM- and one other one also had a mechanical this morning!).

He informs us that maintenance should arrive in 15 minutes. Maintenance arrives, and since I am in the front row, I overhear everything. They were unable to get it to work, so the mechanic had to go below. He comes back to say the unit is fried and they need to fly one in from Detroit. By now it is 6:30AM. They contacted OPS to see what to do with the passengers. About 15 minutes later, they tell us to deplane and rebook with the GA.

I was #2 in line, but was able to call the Medallion line and get rebooked. The first flight that they have availability on is the 12:40PM flight out of PHL today, which means I won't get to LAN until 4:35PM, 7 hours late. No work for me today- no work means I do not get paid.

So, my question is, do I write to DL about this and seek some miles or a voucher or something? If so, what do you think is a fair amount? I'm out several hundred dollars by not working today. Luckily the US Air club allows SC members....
If you're a Plat, you'll probably get something uninitiated. If you were to send in an email, I'm guessing you'll get 7500rdms.

As per not billing today, DL will say they got you to where they said they'd get you, and if working today was a requirement, then you should have flown yesterday.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 7:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, VS Silver, Priority Club Platinum, Marriott Platinum
My answer to them would be that I usually do fly on Sunday, but for some reason the flights yesterday were ~$300 more than if I flew today. I book my flights about 4 weeks out, but yesterday must have had heavy loads or something. So, I saved my client a few hundred and adjusted my schedule this week accordingly to compensate for coming in late today. I can't really compensate for missing all day today since there are various work constraints on resources, etc.

I'm definitely going to wait a few days to see if I get anything automatically, but wanted to see what others thought would be a fair request should nothing happen.
Old Mar 29, 2010, 8:00 am

Originally Posted by sbagdon
If you're a Plat, you'll probably get something uninitiated. If you were to send in an email, I'm guessing you'll get 7500rdms.

As per not billing today, DL will say they got you to where they said they'd get you, and if working today was a requirement, then you should have flown yesterday.
7500 seems a bit on the cheap side. Heck just last week DL shot me about 4K after a equipment change landed me in a hideous 757 F seat (2D) where my knees were almost touching the bulkhead. And I'm just a Silver this year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.