Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2001, 3:06 pm
Original Poster

Delta Compensation Definitive Thread

I was delayed out of moscow flying business class on system wide upgrade(my last).The plane left two hours late.I missed ny connection and arrived home 1:30AM which was three and half hours late.
Today I received $100 voucher with apology for delay out of moscow.It was sent a week after the flight without a request on my part.
What is the normal experience of dal flyers related to delays and compensation? I would be interested in hearing about the good ,the bad, and the ugly particularly in the last six months.
I was a siver medallion at time of flight and am currently gold.Does status affect compensation?
I am trying to discover how much of what is done is non discretionary and how much is negotiated.
THANKS
Old Jul 17, 2001, 3:37 am

The only somewhat similar experience I've had happened about 3 years ago. My wife (no Medallion status) and I (GM at the time) were flying the return of ATL-RDU right after Labor Day on L class tickets. The flight was delayed 2-3 hours on the runway in RDU due to mechanical reasons and eventually they cancelled the flight and rebooked everyone on other flights. Thank goodness for the CRC in RDU. We were able to get confirmed seats on the next flight out.

I thought nothing more of it until about 2 weeks later when an unsolicited letter of apology came addressed to my wife with a $75 voucher. They never sent anything to me, even though we sat next to each other (in coach) and our records were linked. I always wondered about the criteria by which they selected those that received the letters and vouchers.

------------------
Bert
Old Jul 17, 2001, 7:46 am

Programs: AA Platinum
Had a similar experience July 5 this year in Atlanta. Plane going to Santiago, Chile had electrical problems after we boarded, had to get off and wait a long time, and evetually the flight was cancelled and we were sent to a hotel. A new flight (unscheduled) took us out the next morning. An unexpected bonus was being able to see the Andes and western South American coast during the day, since the scheduled flight was at night. My traveling companion and I are both GM. We each received a letter and a voucher for $150 toward another flight. It did help soften our feelings re some of the things that could have been handled better. We have been wondering whether Medallion status has any influence on how they handle such events and have been hoping to see more responses to this posting.
Old Jul 17, 2001, 8:01 am

Programs: AA Plt, BA Silver, UA Premier, SIA PPS, SL Exec, HH, Hyatt, Starwood, Marriott
Two years ago I was flying on business on BA from MIA to LHR. After take off, the plane did not climb to cruisning altitude, turned around and flew towards the gulf of Mexico for about 30 minutes. Most people didnt notice, I inquired and was told that things were fine. Eventually the Pilot came over the intercom and said that due to some strange smeel coming from the back of the cabin we had to land again. Flying over the evrglades was done to dump fuel as the plane can not land with such a heavy load of fuel.

Upon landning (with all the excitements of the plane being trailed by fire engines and ambulances) we made it to the terminal. Here the real ordeal started. As we had left the USA, we were not allowed into any common areas of the terminal. Our area was cordoned by about 10 officers from immigration that made sure nobody would leave the area. There were no refreshments offered or anything for about 3 hours. Fortunately there was access to a toilet.

Eventually the problem was fixed (an air condition unit) and we took off again for LHR.

I was sleeping and when I woke up and saw that the plane was getting ready to land. I was on a window seat and saw the sea!! As I remembered London is not by the sea. Surprised I asked what was going on (I had missed the announcements while sleeping) and I was told that we were landing on Cardiff because the crew had exceeded it limit time.

Upon landing, we were tansferred to buses and were taken to LHR. Instead of arriving at around 8 am at LHR, we arrived around 6pm.

What I find absurd is that BA once it figured that the crew would not make it to LHR, why they didnt send a replacement crew to Cardiff to wait for the plane and take it to LHR, rather than subject all passengers to a several hours bus ride.

After a couple of weeks I got a letter apologizing. They credited a few thousand miles (I do not remember how much, but I think it was between 5 and 10k) and they included a CMO for BP125. Not bad for not asking. Though the flight was terrible.

------------------
The trouble with resisting temptation is...that you may not get another chance :-)
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:47 pm

Compensation: Delay and Delayed Flight

I need some input from anyone who has had a similar situation. I was supposed to travel DCA-ATL-BOG today. Get to the airport with plenty of time and they tell me "sorry your flight is delayed and you're not going to make your connection". As if no big deal, to make a very long story short. We went round and round and the only thing they would give us is the same flight from Dulles on Tuesday!! A full two days late!!

I asked about compensation and the supervisor offers us a $25 vocuher. I told her that was insulting for a two day delay in service. She tells me to call Delta Cusotmer Service, which I do.

The CS rep tells me $25 is a joke and offers a $200 voucher, which I said was a joke give it is a two day delay and I have received $400 for a 3 hour delay on a VDB. He said they are not the same thing, there is no one else to talk to and I could write a letter if I want.

First I am completely shocked at Delta's attitude about the two day delay, very non-chalant. I am really steamed about the whole episode and I am going to write.

Any advice on what to ask for for a two day delay, I got $250 from UAL for an overnight mechanical delay on a three hour flight, $200 just doesn't seem enough for the inconvenience.

On top of it all, when I was sepaking with Customer Service, they checked the flight that was delayed and informed me that it was not as delayed as previously thought only 7 minutes, and I could have caught my flight after all.

Any advice on reasonable compensation would be appreciated prior to writing my letter. If it means anything I'm a Gold Medallion, but not for long after this.

Thanks

[This message has been edited by bdodd444 (edited Jan 11, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 12:57 pm

Location: Atlanta, GA - AirTran Elite #1 FF * Delta Diamond Medallion * Starwood Platinum * PriorityClub Gold * Hilton Diamond
They delivered my luggage two days late from Hawaii. I'm a Platinum Medallion. I got $0.

If you complain, then you'll get $25. If you complain a lot and find someone nice, then you might get $200. If you complain too much, then you'll get a nasty note added to your SkyMiles account.

Welcome to Delta Air Lines . . .
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
what was the reason for your delay? Did you ask the agent or supervisor at the airport?

It's unfortunately too late now, but if the delay was something within Delta's reasonable control (not weather or "force majeur), then you should have invoked your Rule 240 rights on the spot, which would have legally entitled you to certain rights. Here is a listing of the Delta rule 240 rights (Delta could have been forced to confirm you on another airline, even in first class):

Delta Air Lines defines a schedule irregularity as:

A delay in the departure or arrival of a Delta Air Lines flight that results in a misconnection, or A flight cancellation or omission of a scheduled stop, or any other delay or interruption of a Delta Air Lines flight, or A substitution of equipment to a different class of service, or A schedule change that requires you to be rerouted.

If your flight is delayed, cancelled or you miss a connecting Delta Air Lines flight, due to a schedule irregularity &

1.Delta Air Lines must confirm you on their next flight (on which space is available) at no additional cost. 2.If there is an alternate Delta Air flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than the alternate you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this Delta Air Lines' flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 3.If the alternate Delta Air Lines flight is not acceptable to you, you have the right to be confirmed on the flight of a different airline at no additional cost. 4.If there is an alternate "different airline" flight that will arrive at your destination earlier than any alternate flight you have been offered, you have the right to be confirmed on this flight at no additional cost, even if first class space is all that is available. 5.If no alternate flight (on Delta Air Lines or a "different airline") is acceptable to you, Delta Air Lines must refund your money - even if you have a non-refundable ticket.

[This message has been edited by bocastephen (edited Jan 11, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Retired :)
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by JoeFlyer:
If you complain too much, then you'll get a nasty note added to your SkyMiles account.

</font>

Is this true? I always joked that I was a PM with a flag to not upgrade me because I complain to them (with good reason IMO). So if I stop complaining, I'll get upgraded more often?????
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:17 pm

Programs: DL PM / 1MM "Enhancee" (Frequent Flyer) Since 1990
It's common lore.. and has probably happened in a few cases, but I wouldn't say there is much credence to the "vengeful gate agent" theory.

Granted, you might come across one or two who are nasty, but the bulk of them are great people.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL: Diamond
Isn't rule 240 still in effect now? You should be able to leave on the next flight that can connect you to your destination on any airline that flys from where you are.
Old Jan 11, 2004, 2:43 pm

Location: Salt Lake City, Utah, DL DM since inception, 3+ MM, HH Gold, SPG-Gold
Programs: DL, UA, AA, HH, SPG, HH, Hertz, Avis
Just to interject a personal question along the same line:

I was supposed to leave from YOW (Ottawa) Cananda yesterday 7:40 am (-30 to -40 DF or DC!) on a Delta Connection (ASA) 4595. A hydraulic pipe to the front wheel broke prior to take-off and the plane was dead in the water and we were returned to the terminal (whereafter the crew immediately took an air-Canada flight to get out as they obviously knew this was not going to be fixed quickly!). No information was given to us paxes, other than the plane was "delayed" even after the crew was gone!There was one station managaer who could work the computer and it took more than 4 hours to process all 40 passsengers. Some had cruises to catch (and missed!), some had other urgencies, some had been given a paper printout of being on the next DL flight out but when going toget their BC weretold there were no more seats. (I immediately called the Platinum desk and got rebooked on the only other YOW-ATL flight that day scheduled for 12:25 PM and rebooked to connect to SLC from ATL). That plane came, also had weather related problems and didn't leave until 2:40 PM. arrived in ATL 5:15 PM and by running like a mad-man from Concourse C (gate 29) to A (Gate 24)! I got to 709 for SLC 5:35 PM 5 minutes before door closure and made it home 7:50 PM instead of the scheduled 1:45 PM (But better than the next arrival at 9:30 PM)

No useful information what-so-ever was given in YOW. I had to call the automated flight info every 30 minutes to be kept updated un the fate of the second flight as there were so many more irrate people in front of me with bigger fish to fry that I didn't even bother to get in line. No food vouchers were given and little to do or buy in this little gate-area beyond the US border inspection.

I didn't ask for any compensation for this tedious travel, but given this thread, should I? with any expectation of results?

By the way, one of the Delta crew members said that CRJ's do not do well in very cold weather on the ground as they had ongoing problems on these Central Canadian routes during the Winter, which is a pitty as it seems that RJ's is all Delta fly to destination who's call letters start with a "Y".

[This message has been edited by Flying_Duck (edited Jan 11, 2004).]
Old Jan 11, 2004, 4:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
... Some had cruises to catch (and missed!)...</font>
It happens way too often for anyone to book a flight on the SAME day as the cruise. Not worth the hassles. MAYBE if it is booked with the airline, but for sure NEVER if booked on your own. Go the day before and relax.

Old Jan 11, 2004, 5:09 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by NoStressHere:
It happens way too often for anyone to book a flight on the SAME day as the cruise. Not worth the hassles. MAYBE if it is booked with the airline, but for sure NEVER if booked on your own. Go the day before and relax.

</font>

Going on a cruise in early March from Ft. Lauderdale, I was quite interested in this issue.

The people were on a "fly-cruise" trip and the flight was organized/mandated by the cruise line (HAL).

The outcome (for those interested) was that they got on the next (last) flight out of YOW to ATL, were to be put up overnight in ATL, flown to Key West next day where they would be picked up by a tender from the ship passing at that time, thereby limiting their "loss" to one day at sea. These people, by the way, were extremely level-headed and calm about the whole issue.

(And yes, my wife and I are planning to arrive the day before in Ft. Lauderdale!)
Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Flying_Duck:
CRJ's do not do well in very cold weather </font>
Considering that CRJs are built by Bombardier in Montreal - probably the best manufacturer of cold weather equipment out there, I highly doubt the credibility of that report.

Old Jan 11, 2004, 6:26 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by B747-437B:
Considering that CRJs are built by Bombardier in Montreal - probably the best manufacturer of cold weather equipment out there, I highly doubt the credibility of that report.
</font>
Well, as we didn't have much other to do during our 7 hour contained (post-border control) wait, a lot of chatting went on amongst several of us "guys". One guy who lives in Ottawa said that there was nothing but delays and cancellations during the winter with these flights. Told of several CRJ's having to stay put for 1-2 days for repairs. Now granted, this was an unbelievable cold spell (with clear sky) and it was as cold in Ottawa during this time of year as on the poles - but all the other flights, and I saw Airbus 319's, B737's, even a Fokker RJ, left on schedule.

The exasperated single gate manager himself said that there had been major problems with 3 consecutive ASA CRJ's during this cold spell looking at 4th that day. Who knows, it may have been an ASA maintainance problem.

While this experience is limited and may not
represent the temperature capabilities of the CRJ's in general- I am only relaying what I heard - and during 7 hours of nothing else to do - you hear a lot!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.