Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hall of Rants: Whats the Most Random and Pathetic Thing You Can Complain About?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 2:53 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
On a flight recently a Delta captain (he was in uniform) put headphones on and read the newspaper diring the entire security briefing. Was on an MD where the FA's had to do the entire announcement old school.
I know he knows what to do and can probably recite the thing but not a very good example IMO.

Am I being overly sensitive sine this bothered me?
Old May 15, 2017, 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
Maddening.

Flying on DL 0664 from DCA to SLC on Wednesday.

App showing 10 open seats in F. 48 hours from flight time. I'm still back in C+.

Yeah I know, I'm on a U fare. And yea, I'm sure DL's algorithms are assuming that 6 will get bought up in next 24 hours...

But still... holding 10 open seats until the gate? Come on. Upgrade me.

p.s. don't tell me there are 5-7 purchased seats that just aren't selected yet. I won't believe you.
I see 11 sold on that flight. 4RUC spots but no Comp spots yet. No clue as to what the hold up is.

Good of luck on the battlefield
Old May 15, 2017, 3:13 pm
pvn
Suspended

Programs: Starbucks Green Card
Originally Posted by DCADeltaRoadWarrior
Maddening.

Flying on DL 0664 from DCA to SLC on Wednesday.

App showing 10 open seats in F. 48 hours from flight time. I'm still back in C+.

Yeah I know, I'm on a U fare. And yea, I'm sure DL's algorithms are assuming that 6 will get bought up in next 24 hours...

But still... holding 10 open seats until the gate? Come on. Upgrade me.

p.s. don't tell me there are 5-7 purchased seats that just aren't selected yet. I won't believe you.
how many should go to the gate IYO?
Old May 15, 2017, 3:33 pm

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by pvn
< 9
Old May 15, 2017, 4:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by pvn
I know you're not asking me, but if you did, my answer would be *all* medallion UGs go to the gate. It would stop the kvetching on here about last-minute, high-fare pax getting screwed, and ultimately would be a very fair system. (Note that I don't really buy last-minute tickets anymore, and I actually just cleared a window UG with Mrs. Lee. But I still think no advance UGs is more fair across the board.)

I do think that instrument-supported UGs should be cleared in advance, as soon as RM decides to make inventory available, and that they should continue to be prioritized over complimentary medallion UGs.
Old May 16, 2017, 7:23 am
pvn
Suspended

Personally I would support that since I buy almost all of my tickets inside the window anyway
Old May 16, 2017, 8:58 am

Programs: DL Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, HH Diamond, Avis Preferred Plus, National Executive
Originally Posted by gooselee
I know you're not asking me, but if you did, my answer would be *all* medallion UGs go to the gate. It would stop the kvetching on here about last-minute, high-fare pax getting screwed, and ultimately would be a very fair system. (Note that I don't really buy last-minute tickets anymore, and I actually just cleared a window UG with Mrs. Lee. But I still think no advance UGs is more fair across the board.)

I do think that instrument-supported UGs should be cleared in advance, as soon as RM decides to make inventory available, and that they should continue to be prioritized over complimentary medallion UGs.
Seems cool to me.
Old May 16, 2017, 9:04 am

I totally get liking that you know you have the upgrade before you even check in, but honestly if you designed a system from scratch it's objectively the most fair.

More space for people who want to buy F
More space for SDC
More space for IROP
More space for RUC/Miles clearance
People who spend more are more likely to get UG
Old May 16, 2017, 9:06 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
DL makes money off cheap fares too and I know that I wouldn't bother staying loyal if I never had a chance for an upgrade. As someone who buys cheap fares, that would be the reality.

I'm sure DL has thought of this and rejected it for a good reason.
Old May 16, 2017, 10:49 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
*all* medallion UGs go to the gate.
By any chance . . . Is this a:

Old May 16, 2017, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by kop84
I totally get liking that you know you have the upgrade before you even check in, but honestly if you designed a system from scratch it's objectively the most fair.

More space for people who want to buy F
More space for SDC
More space for IROP
More space for RUC/Miles clearance
People who spend more are more likely to get UG
This. It normalizes the prioritization within all the pax who will actually be on the flight. It also helps incentivize FCM purchases (or use of RUCs/miles) if someone wants to know they will have a FC seat/service in advance.

I know they're rare now, but when I was an FO, there were a few routes/times on which I could pretty reliably get a window UG. And I know a couple FOs now who still get regular window UGs on some of their frequent routes. Knowing that, I declined FC fares and UG offers because I was willing to roll the dice on a window UG, also getting me SP services and the higher bag allowance on the rare occasions I needed it - *especially* since one upgraded leg resulted in SP/allowance on all legs. If all UGs were at the gate, I'm sure I would have purchased more FC when I needed all the associated services vs. relying on a window UG.

Originally Posted by WWads
DL makes money off cheap fares too and I know that I wouldn't bother staying loyal if I never had a chance for an upgrade. As someone who buys cheap fares, that would be the reality.

I'm sure DL has thought of this and rejected it for a good reason.
I'm doubtful this change would ever happen, but DL could have rejected it out of inertia as much as anything else. No offense to you personally, but if such a change results in gaining one last-minute, high-fare customer for each advance purchase, low-fare customer, I'd think that would be a net positive. I of course don't have the data that DL has.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:03 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
I doubt that such a move would boost purchases of last minute fares. Most people who fly on those fares are doing so on their company's dime, and often with a negotiated travel contract.

Companies could care less if their employees are getting upgrades, and DL obviously isn't losing business since those employees are required to buy DL tickets.
Old May 16, 2017, 11:18 am

I doubt that such a move would boost purchases of last minute fares. Most people who fly on those fares are doing so on their company's dime, and often with a negotiated travel contract.

Companies could care less if their employees are getting upgrades, and DL obviously isn't losing business since those employees are required to buy DL tickets.
But the real questions are:
How many people tried to buy a last minute F seat but could not?
With the few extra seats available DOD would it make a difference for IROP, SDC, sales?
Would it lead to an increase or decrease in F/Y sales?
How many would leave, how many would come.

While DoD departures seems like the most fair way of doing things, it might also not be the most profitable.

We can't even really effectively speculate (won't stop anyone from trying though) unless DL decides to release it's metadata (about as likely as the sun turning purple and rising in the West)
Old May 16, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: 7mm DM, FC, Marriott PM (lifetime), HH Diamond
Was looking forward to the "unique experience" offered at the 7MM mark.

Reached it 9/28/16. Apparently Delta has to many of those that they deleted the benefit shortly before I reached it
Old May 16, 2017, 12:21 pm
pvn
Suspended

there are tons of business travelers who don't have negotiated contracts limiting their options.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.