Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2019, 4:01 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by EchoVictor
I'm still not getting any of these emails, not a single one despite six eligible flights since the program was launched. Diamond line can't figure it out. Twitter can't figure it out. Meanwhile, my ability to get my meal choice has gone way down hill and the flight attendants look at me as stupid for being one of the few in the cabin who didn't preselect. They blame me. Sheesh.
Exact same issue here. Sometimes the Diamond line will place my order with very vague definitions. “A sandwich like a BLT or Burrito or Hamburger. Well that’s helpful. Two FAs showed me a note on the manifest that this is a known problem and IT is working on it, so we should get our first email sometime in 2020.
Old Mar 19, 2019, 8:31 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by puck021

Exact same issue here. Sometimes the Diamond line will place my order with very vague definitions. “A sandwich like a BLT or Burrito or Hamburger. Well that’s helpful. Two FAs showed me a note on the manifest that this is a known problem and IT is working on it, so we should get our first email sometime in 2020.
Twitter actually offered me a choice between beef, chicken, fish, or vegetarian. I know for a fact that the meal order program isn't like Singapore's book the cook, as it's always between two choices (or more if D1). So I just ignored .... although I would have been curious to see what would happen if I selected fish on domestic first. !!!!
Old Mar 20, 2019, 10:21 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Twitter actually offered me a choice between beef, chicken, fish, or vegetarian. I know for a fact that the meal order program isn't like Singapore's book the cook, as it's always between two choices (or more if D1). So I just ignored .... although I would have been curious to see what would happen if I selected fish on domestic first. !!!!
I presume these were special meal request, not standard first-class domestic catering.

I've never known Delta to offer a fish meal. It certainly isn't among the list of options offered on Delta.com for special meals.
Old Mar 20, 2019, 4:50 pm

Programs: DL DM / 2MM - Marriott Ambassador
Flew last night MSP to SAN and when they came around to talk about dinner he started with "Im sorry but all of the chicken was pre-selected so we only have the second choice" which went over REAL well with the entire cabin. Sigh.

Don't you think if they knew they were out and since they have 24 hours they could adjust and still offer some choice?
Old Mar 20, 2019, 6:04 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG/MR Plat, Kimpton IC, IHG Spire Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by lucycan
Flew last night MSP to SAN and when they came around to talk about dinner he started with "Im sorry but all of the chicken was pre-selected so we only have the second choice" which went over REAL well with the entire cabin. Sigh.

Don't you think if they knew they were out and since they have 24 hours they could adjust and still offer some choice?
So I’m on a SEA-MSP flight right now. I’m getting my steak and the guy next to me ordered steak but said that he would take the pasta if they were out of steak and the FA said half the people had preordered and they are good and ave enough of both. So in this case it sounds like they adjusted the remaining order since Steak always goes fast.

Sounds like this is still a work in process.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:01 am

Programs: AA Advantage Gold, Rapid Rewards A list, Sky Miles Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Diamond
On my last two round trips I received the email on the outbound only around T-72 and nothing for the return. My mom had the same experience last week also.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:14 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Just received an email for SFO-SEA at aprox. T-70. Breakfast flight, choice of chorizo omelette or corn chex cereal & yogurt. (I went with the cereal).
Old Mar 22, 2019, 10:18 am

Programs: DL - PM
Originally Posted by lucycan

Can I ask what aircraft type this flight was? I think someone told me a while back that oven space is an issue on some planes. So if there was a hot option and a cold option, and they only had oven space for eight hot meals, I can see why they might "run out" of one choice only through preorders.

I feel like it was the MD-90 where I've seen this before, but I wouldn't swear to it.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Lifetime Titanium, HHonrs Diamond
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Just received an email for SFO-SEA at aprox. T-70. Breakfast flight, choice of chorizo omelette or corn chex cereal & yogurt. (I went with the cereal).
And I have never received an email for pre-selection in 6 eligible fights this year.
That chorizo omelette might be the best domestic airline breakfast I have had in 20 years.
And I continue to be dumbfounded that DL still hasn't learned that the higher carb option is almost always the one left over.
Until this meal pre-selection affects what they stock the planes, it is a useless exercise.
Old Mar 22, 2019, 2:02 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & 2MM, Marriott Lifetime TIT, Hertz Pres Club, IHG Gold, *A Gold
PDX - ATL
Old Mar 22, 2019, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by FlyBitcoin
And I have never received an email for pre-selection in 6 eligible fights this year.
That chorizo omelette might be the best domestic airline breakfast I have had in 20 years.
And I continue to be dumbfounded that DL still hasn't learned that the higher carb option is almost always the one left over.
Until this meal pre-selection affects what they stock the planes, it is a useless exercise.
I don't eat meat and I was hoping that the other option would be oatmeal or something else hot, but oh well it will be fine and I'm glad for the choice on the short flight.
Old Mar 23, 2019, 8:05 am

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
I presume these were special meal request, not standard first-class domestic catering.

I've never known Delta to offer a fish meal. It certainly isn't among the list of options offered on Delta.com for special meals.
Shellfish vs. Fish, I suppose, but my flight to TPA recently had grilled shrimp salad. (HUGE REGRET that I ended up with the vegan meal)
Old Mar 23, 2019, 9:48 pm

Programs: DL PM
Got 2 emails today, a few hours apart, for Tuesday’s SFO-MSP and MSP-TPA. I like this new F perk; I like knowing what to expect—it helps me decide what/whether to eat or not eat in the Skyclubs. ^
Old Mar 23, 2019, 11:49 pm

Programs: AA PLT/5MM; AS MVP GLD 75K; DL DM; EK SLV; HHonors DIAM; Marriott GLD
I'm still not getting any of these emails, not a single one despite six eligible flights since the program was launched. Diamond line can't figure it out. Twitter can't figure it out. Meanwhile, my ability to get my meal choice has gone way down hill and the flight attendants look at me as stupid for being one of the few in the cabin who didn't preselect. They blame me. Sheesh.
Same here... on a recent Shanghai - L.A. flight, some of the passengers were gently chided for not having taken advantage of the preordering feature. This did not go over well with the guy behind me, who decided to spend 5 minutes lecturing the blameless F.A. about how disappointed he was, not to be able to get a Chinese meal, how this would never happen on other airlines, etc., etc.

It was actually a great flight, other than that.

And, no, I never have been offered the pre-select option, and have just got used to not expecting choices any more, especially since I usually like to sit in the last row of first class.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:25 am

Programs: DL DM
Pre-select emails went out to both my spouse and myself today for a breakfast flight at about T-70. I was happy to see our choices were accepted by the system as my last F flight about a month ago I had to get Twitter involved as the system would error out. Fingers crossed the meals stick and we get a pre-select for the return as well!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.