Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Oct 2, 2018, 8:16 pm

Programs: Delta DM, 2MM
JFK to FCO options were:

Striped Bass
Braised Short Ribs
Vegetarian Ravioli
Grilled Chicken Parmesan

I really just wish they would provide allergen information...
Old Nov 19, 2018, 11:41 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
Mrs. thesaints got her email inviting to choose entree SFO-JFK 72hrs out. Nothing for me.
We are on different reservations; both upgraded using my RUC.

Are they still rolling out the thing, some passengers get it and some don’t ?
Old Nov 20, 2018, 3:05 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
I received the automated email a full three days before my flight between London–Heathrow and Detroit. The options were the same as those on-board. My ticket had "special meal" indicated on it. The purser said he had my pre-selection when he came by the seat before departure.

The salmon was excellent.

Here's my full write-up:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30446053-post1918.html
Old Nov 22, 2018, 7:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You're right: It does say special meal at the bottom, under the ticket number, of my boarding pass for just the TPAC segment (and not my domestic connecting flight on the itinerary). I never noticed it, although I do carry a hard copy of the email confirming my meal selection with me in case there's a problem.
Old Nov 22, 2018, 9:31 pm

Programs: DL FO, UA, AA
Is it time to change the title of this thread? There has been no further information about pre-selection of FC domestic meals and this thread is inching up on three years old soon... Just my 2˘
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:33 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta Diamond, Marriott Ambassador & Lifetime Titanium, Hertz President's Circle, United Silver
Originally Posted by AeRoSpaceman
Is it time to change the title of this thread? There has been no further information about pre-selection of FC domestic meals and this thread is inching up on three years old soon... Just my 2˘
And it was supposed to happen by the end of this year.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:42 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
And it was supposed to happen by the end of this year.
Yeah.. I would have been content if they made an excuse.. LOL. But no follow upż I just don't see them announcing this "enhancement" by EOY. Fingers crossed though..
Old Nov 23, 2018, 4:50 am
Suspended

Yeah.. I would have been content if they made an excuse.. LOL. But no follow upż I just don't see them announcing this "enhancement" by EOY. Fingers crossed though..
My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is it won't be available, if it ever launches, outside hubs. There's probably too much domestic catering issues to have menus or pre-selections. Of course, they should disclose the menu at the time of booking, like American. But then maybe people wouldn't outright buy first-class if they knew they were getting two pieces of bread with a tiny piece of processed meat in-between.
Old Nov 23, 2018, 5:01 am

Originally Posted by hockeyinsider
My guess -- and it's only a guess -- is it won't be available, if it ever launches, outside hubs. There's probably too much domestic catering issues to have menus or pre-selections. Of course, they should disclose the menu at the time of booking, like American. But then maybe people wouldn't outright buy first-class if they knew they were getting two pieces of bread with a tiny piece of processed meat in-between.
[RANT] Totally agree. But if it is NOT going to happen than they should make some sort of excuse or say it's not feasible, or just flat out say it is not going to happen. Leaving their customers in limbo for almost 3 years from a soft product announcement is not good(UA Polaris comes to mind). Did they think we would forget? This thread is all about D1 pre-select while the title still says FC as well. By EOY if this is not rolled out then the FC Domestic portion of the title needs to be removed. [/RANT]
Old Nov 23, 2018, 8:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I can confirm that there's now preorder for D1 on the ICN-DTW (eastbound) flight. [Within the last couple weeks, someone here suggested that exICN, only the ATL flight was doing preorders.]

Given that there's a lot of overlap between the D1 and PS menus, I wonder when D1 will extend preorder to PS. This might happen before it comes to domestic FC, as it would involve a smaller number of airports that already do preorder anyway. It would also be consistent with DL considering PS to be a stop above domestic FC.
Old Nov 24, 2018, 7:33 am

Programs: DL SPlat, KLM Bump, Privium Plus, GOES
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Work both ways... to/from AMS. Same offerings both ways.

And... a decent single malt for a change: Macallan 12 Year Old Double Cask ^
Well, sadly it didn't work for my flight departing from AMS earlier this month. It's still WIP.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:14 pm

The way this works is fairly interesting — what they actually do to facilitate the meal pre-selection is add an SSR (Special Service Request) to your reservation with a particular Meal Code (e.g. PPML for Pasta, PCML for Chicken, etc.). It is very similar to "Special" meal codes (e.g. VGML for Vegan meals, etc.) except that these "pre-select" meal SSR codes don't seem to be standardized across airlines / public knowledge. This is why when you "pre-select", it will look to FAs/GAs just like a normal "special meal" request.

I'm curious if you could call Delta a few days before a flight to check the menu / find out the available meal codes for a flight, and then have them add an SSR for that code (or alternatively if you booked through a Travel Agent see if they can add an SSR for that meal code via whichever GDS they use).
Old Nov 25, 2018, 6:30 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
I have asked DL food PR reps for a follow up (after the official quote from the then food PR rep) 1-2x a year and am always told the same thing - notice will be given when things are changed.

IMO, and just a guess, the PR folks had the framework and then REV MGT looked at the cost to make it happen and said NO for domestic routes. Always follow the money!
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by Renes Points
I have asked DL food PR reps for a follow up (after the official quote from the then food PR rep) 1-2x a year and am always told the same thing - notice will be given when things are changed.

IMO, and just a guess, the PR folks had the framework and then REV MGT looked at the cost to make it happen and said NO for domestic routes. Always follow the money!
Revenue Management is responsible for pricing and inventory controlling flights. Why would they be involved with this project?
Old Nov 25, 2018, 9:42 pm

I suspect that the technology behind the scenes here might play a role in the delayed rollout more widely. The current pre-selection is built-on Salesforce Marketing Cloud, which is an.... “unusual” tool to use for something like this.

I’d expect that they’d eventually want to build this into Delta.com and their mobile app / main system.

I wouldn’t be surprised if they wanted to get the underlying technology sorted out prior to expanding to Domestic FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.