Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 24, 2019, 9:23 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: michab
The following website seems to allow you to preview the menu options ahead of time: http://cloud.o.delta.com/fltInfo

The Delta App lets you pre-select meals 7 days prior to departure. You may or may not receive an email around the same time (it's inconsistent whether you even receive an email). On the "MY TRIPS" tab, any eligible trip in the list will have a SELECT YOUR ENTREE button; this also appears if you tap on a trip and are viewing the individual trip details. The app is able to handle selections for multiple passengers traveling on the same record (i.e. you will be able to make selections on behalf of traveling companions)

Sample screenshot:

PRE-COVID: If you don't get the email, or only one of multiple passengers receives the email*, you can ask a phone or Twitter/FB agent for the choices, and they can make your selection up until T-24h (not all agents are sharp about this, so you may need to explain that you want to pre-order a regular meal, *not* one of the special vegetarian/Kosher meals etc. HUCA as needed) Nowadays it is unclear if agents can even still do this (or if just the average phone/chat agent does not know how to do so anymore)

*If this happens, double check that you have an email address (for each passenger) in the reservation. (But this can happen at random anyway even if you do have an email address listed.)

Print Wikipost

Pre-ordering Meals on Delta, the Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Sep 16, 2018, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles DM
Sorry if this has been answered before - but does pre-ordering work for flights where you upgrade with miles. I got upgraded this morning for the LAX-PVG flight tomorrow. No emails yet - any way to do this on the website or the app? Thank you.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by HeartbreakRidge
Options for D1 JFK-ZRH for 9/11/18
BRAISED SHORT RIB
potato purée, roasted root vegetables, balsamic onions
THREE CHEESE CANNELLONI*
sautéed spinach, mushroom ragout, black pepper-parmesan béchamel *vegetarian selection
SLOW ROASTED STRIPED BASS
butternut squash, fingerling potatoes, rock shrimp
GRILLED CHICKEN PARMESAN
orzo, broccolini, gotham greens pesto
Same menu on JFK-FRA.
I pre-ordered the short ribs. I think they were good, but my ambien kicked in way faster than I was expecting (I took it just as drink service was starting) so I don't remember much of the meal.
I'll post pics/details on the meal service thread when I have a chance.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ijgordon
Same menu on JFK-FRA.
I pre-ordered the short ribs. I think they were good, but my ambien kicked in way faster than I was expecting (I took it just as drink service was starting) so I don't remember much of the meal.
I'll post pics/details on the meal service thread when I have a chance.
Just because seen the effects. This is why Don't take Ambien unless can sleep for full 8 hours. You'll be conscious but sedated and not fully aware of what's going on. When you hear the stories about being on Ambien, it's usually cause they didn't allow enough time.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 9:34 am

Programs: DL Platinum, MR Platinum, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by SDFreqFlyer
Sorry if this has been answered before - but does pre-ordering work for flights where you upgrade with miles. I got upgraded this morning for the LAX-PVG flight tomorrow. No emails yet - any way to do this on the website or the app? Thank you.
Emails go out about 72 hours and the meal choice cut-off is 24 hours out. Unfortunately, you're within the windows so it's doubtful you'd be able to. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter how you got the seat (miles or cash), just that you were sitting up front.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 10:30 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by SDFreqFlyer

As above poster said, I think you missed the email and nothing to be done about that. However, if you are still before 24 hours before departure, you can order a special meal and because you are flying to PVG this should include the option of a Chinese meal, but it won't include the other options.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
As above poster said, I think you missed the email and nothing to be done about that. However, if you are still before 24 hours before departure, you can order a special meal and because you are flying to PVG this should include the option of a Chinese meal, but it won't include the other options.
Supposedly you can call reservations to order. It even says in the email if you want to change you must call.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, AA Lifetime Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Radisson Premium
Any news on when/if this is happening on the non-D1 domestic front?
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:04 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by flyerCO
Supposedly you can call reservations to order. It even says in the email if you want to change you must call.

Is that new? The reports on FT have indicated that reservations is not able to handle or does not know how.
Old Sep 17, 2018, 2:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
Is that new? The reports on FT have indicated that reservations is not able to handle or does not know how.
I've never tried. However my email a week and half ago indicated to call if issues or to change.
Old Sep 19, 2018, 7:23 am
Suspended

A few weeks ago I was able to select the crab cakes for my flight DTW-AMS. All I will say is that if you get the chance to select that, do it. Cakes were delicious. Then had a really nice sundae for dessert. Nice meal service on that flight.
Old Sep 20, 2018, 2:05 pm

Programs: DL DM, 2 MM; Hilton Diamond
Options for DL 89, LAX-PVG on 9/23
MARINARA BRAISED MEATBALLS*
with Bianco DiNapoli tomato, garlic bread, Gioia ricotta
*contains pork
CHICKEN MARSALA
with roasted garlic potato puree and braised Coleman Family Farms kale
SALMON
with borlotti beans, Coastal Farms fennel, lemon and thyme vinaigrette
FINLEY FARMS SPINACH AND RICOTTA BAKED RIGATONI*
*vegetarian selection
CHINESE SELECTION
Oven Baked Cod Filet with Honey served with seasonal vegetables and steamed rice with black sesame seeds
Old Sep 20, 2018, 7:40 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by flyerCO
I've never tried. However my email a week and half ago indicated to call if issues or to change.
I was on SEA-JFK on the one daily D1 flight. Got the email and made my selection. I moved my flight up a day and the link was no longer good. I called the number listed in the email (guessing it was general reservations since I have no status with Delta) and asked them to do the pre-order for me and she was able to do it - and even with an aircraft swap, it still stuck. Based on my limited discussion with her, it sounds like its listed as a special meal - it took her a few minutes but was able to find "chicken" on the list. So it is possible for Res to do it.
Old Sep 21, 2018, 8:55 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Previously top-tier everything, now a happy free agent
Seems like DL is having success with preselections... At least IME.

Have flown between SFO-BOS a few times in D1 and it looks like half the customers on my flights are pre-ordering.... Out of the 16 D1 seats, and aside from pre-orders, catering only loaded 8 meals for 3 menu options. 3 beef, 3 chicken, 2 pastas... so it looks like everyone else pre-ordered (based on what the FA wrote down as # remaining of each entree on the manifest).
Old Sep 21, 2018, 9:12 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hertz Presidents Circle
I hope pre-ordering comes to domestic FC soon.
Old Sep 22, 2018, 8:27 am

Programs: AA EXP (AC), DL G (SC), Bonvoy LTP, & IHG AMB
Originally Posted by landgraf13
Emails go out about 72 hours and the meal choice cut-off is 24 hours out. Unfortunately, you're within the windows so it's doubtful you'd be able to. Otherwise, it wouldn't matter how you got the seat (miles or cash), just that you were sitting up front.
FWIW, I never received an email for my D1 (paid if that matters) flight to PEK tomorrow via SEA. Well see if the return via DTW is any different.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.