Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Marc Schiff

I had this happen to me today trying to fly standby from Atlanta to Phoenix. I’m a Delta Million Miler and have NEVER encountered this before!
Most the time, it’s not publicly announced, but the issues are handled behind the scenes. Or, the phrasing might be different.

For example, the gate agent might say that all carryon bags need to fit onboard because the cargo bins are full, when in reality, the gate agent needs to minimize checking carryons because every bag tag adds 30 lbs to the aircraft’s weight.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Widgets

Most the time, it’s not publicly announced, but the issues are handled behind the scenes. Or, the phrasing might be different.

For example, the gate agent might say that all carryon bags need to fit onboard because the cargo bins are full, when in reality, the gate agent needs to minimize checking carryons because every bag tag adds 30 lbs to the aircraft’s weight.
Perhaps, but it is also pretty rare on most routes. When was the last time you didn't hear the gate agent not asking to proactively check bags for example?

If I had to guess, outside of a few edge case airports/routes that push the limits of the aircrafts (usually not big business travel routes), payload optimized flights make up well under 1% of Delta's flights.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
In general, payload optimized flights are rare; but on some routes, they're common. If you fly standby a lot you'll learn about them.
Old Nov 28, 2018, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The best was payload optimized MSP-AUA IN JANUARY of all months and GAs threatening to remove peoples bags and even customers as they start their vacation

really poor planning on Deltas part for MSP-Caribbean in this time of year.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 10:40 am

Programs: DL-DM, 2MM; AA,QF,UA, WN. Every imaginable hotel program
DL2840

DL2840 MSP-ATL (MD90) payload optimized today. No explanation, but GA made multiple announcements. I had received notification that my checked bags had been loaded on an earlier flight, and I thought it was due to an error in reading the tags, but I guess it actually was part of the payload optimization program.
Old Feb 28, 2019, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL Diamond , Hilton Diamond, IHG Gold, Avis Preferred Plus
This morning DL811 SRQ-ATL was payload optimized on an MD90. Seems very unusual for a 450 mile flight to be close to MTOW, with decent weather on both ends. Flight was 100% full, but that's the norm coming out of SRQ and never had a payload optimized flight before.
Old Sep 18, 2021, 3:12 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, UA Premier Gold
ATL-JAC announced as payload optimized today. I’ve encountered it a bunch lately. Every time, they want passengers NOT to gate check bags but bring them in the cabin. Pretty goofy as the bags end up as part of the payload anyway.

This should be well within the 757-200 range so not sure why it’s always an issue. One engine go around in JAC a concern if that became necessary?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 4:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by DLASflyer
ATL-JAC announced as payload optimized today. I’ve encountered it a bunch lately. Every time, they want passengers NOT to gate check bags but bring them in the cabin. Pretty goofy as the bags end up as part of the payload anyway.

This should be well within the 757-200 range so not sure why it’s always an issue. One engine go around in JAC a concern if that became necessary?
Heavy (and profitable) cargo?
Old Sep 18, 2021, 9:35 pm

Programs: former MD-88 jumpseat Medallion. DL FO, AA PLT PRO. Marriott LT Plat.
The FAA changed the standard average passenger / bag weights this summer. Delta implemented the changeover on August 31. Drumroll ... you all got fatter Everyone magically weighs 15 lbs heavier than they did a month ago, at least in the eyes of the Feds. Standard checked bag, and heavy bag weights increased, too.

this is effective across all fleets, but on average, this equates to about 3,000 extra lbs on a B738 or A320, and about 6,000 extra lbs on an A330 that gets lugged around. The A220s and A320s are particularly sensitive as they are usually up against max structural landing weight if you have a full passenger load and need to carry an alternate for dispatch.

Originally Posted by DLASflyer
Every time, they want passengers NOT to gate check bags but bring them in the cabin. Pretty goofy as the bags end up as part of the payload anyway.
You would think this is the case, but its not how the FAA computes things for weight and balance. Those bags in the overhead bins are INCLUDED in your average passenger weight. The minute they need to be gate checked, its an extra 35 lbs per bag hit on the payload. The gate agents know the flight is Payload Optimized and will try extra hard to not have to gate-check bags. If the FAs close the bins early when they aren't really "full" you'll be leaving standbys at the gate in favor of "weight" that has to be added to the belly as gate-checked bags (even though those bags were going to be on the airplane regardless).
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:10 am

Programs: AS MVP, Club 49, Global Entry, National Emerald Club, Hilton Silver
I know I’m reviving an old thread but I keep hearing the FA’s tell me I’m on a payload optimized flight and that they cannot check any bags. I’ve never heard this before. I assume they are referring to gate checking bags as my checked luggage better be on the plane.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by AKLifetimeFlyer
I know I’m reviving an old thread but I keep hearing the FA’s tell me I’m on a payload optimized flight and that they cannot check any bags. I’ve never heard this before. I assume they are referring to gate checking bags as my checked luggage better be on the plane.
Yes, they're talking about gate checked bags. Your checked bags will be on the plane.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2023, 10:10 am

Programs: DL-Platinum / AS-PlatPro / Hyatt - Glob / Hilton-Diamond
The old post just above yours kinda goes into this ... here it is explained a little differently (FYI, in the 1980's I worked in AA's "Load Control" ...Weight & balance calcs ... I'm sure procedures have changed over the years, but the concept is still there) ...

The FAA approved method for "Weight & Balance" calculations allow airlines to use specific FAA weights for passengers and bags instead of weighing everybody and every bag.
So passengers weigh "x" pounds. The FAA value for "x" includes a carry on.
Likewise, each bag weighs "y" pounds. Airlines do count each individual bag loaded (more specifically, for "balance" purposes, they count how many bags in each compartment).

When the Gate Agt "converts" a bag from "carry-on" to "checked", the fixed value of "x" for that passenger does not change, yet the bag count increases by one, thus increasing (on paper) the take-off weight by "y" lbs.
AKLifetimeFlyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.