Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Old Nov 28, 18, 12:07 pm

Originally Posted by Marc Schiff View Post

I had this happen to me today trying to fly standby from Atlanta to Phoenix. Iím a Delta Million Miler and have NEVER encountered this before!
Most the time, itís not publicly announced, but the issues are handled behind the scenes. Or, the phrasing might be different.

For example, the gate agent might say that all carryon bags need to fit onboard because the cargo bins are full, when in reality, the gate agent needs to minimize checking carryons because every bag tag adds 30 lbs to the aircraftís weight.
Old Nov 28, 18, 12:10 pm

Programs: DL DM, UA Gold, Alaska MVP, Bonvoy (lol) Ambassador
Originally Posted by Widgets View Post

Most the time, it’s not publicly announced, but the issues are handled behind the scenes. Or, the phrasing might be different.

For example, the gate agent might say that all carryon bags need to fit onboard because the cargo bins are full, when in reality, the gate agent needs to minimize checking carryons because every bag tag adds 30 lbs to the aircraft’s weight.
Perhaps, but it is also pretty rare on most routes. When was the last time you didn't hear the gate agent not asking to proactively check bags for example?

If I had to guess, outside of a few edge case airports/routes that push the limits of the aircrafts (usually not big business travel routes), payload optimized flights make up well under 1% of Delta's flights.
Old Nov 28, 18, 5:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Spire, others
In general, payload optimized flights are rare; but on some routes, they're common. If you fly standby a lot you'll learn about them.
Old Nov 28, 18, 7:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL Diamond, AAdvantage EXP, Hyatt Explorist, HHonors Diamond, Avis First
The best was payload optimized MSP-AUA IN JANUARY of all months and GAs threatening to remove peoples bags and even customers as they start their vacation

really poor planning on Deltas part for MSP-Caribbean in this time of year.
Old Feb 9, 19, 10:40 am

Programs: DL-PM. AA,QF,UA. Every imaginable hotel program, but use Hotwire and Priceline whenever possible!
DL2840

DL2840 MSP-ATL (MD90) payload optimized today. No explanation, but GA made multiple announcements. I had received notification that my checked bags had been loaded on an earlier flight, and I thought it was due to an error in reading the tags, but I guess it actually was part of the payload optimization program.
Old Feb 28, 19, 12:06 pm

This morning DL811 SRQ-ATL was payload optimized on an MD90. Seems very unusual for a 450 mile flight to be close to MTOW, with decent weather on both ends. Flight was 100% full, but that's the norm coming out of SRQ and never had a payload optimized flight before.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: