Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Old Jan 20, 17, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post
They may not be covering the inauguration itself as yes they would be too late, but there are tons of marches and protests to cover tomorrow.
And, presumably, those would be covered by the people covering the inauguration. I highly doubt that the weight restrictions are down to some local reporters flying around the country to cover some protests.
Old Jan 20, 17, 11:08 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
They may not be covering the inauguration itself as yes they would be too late, but there are tons of marches and protests to cover tomorrow.
Whatever! The majority of the marches and protests will happen today in DC, and it's doubtful they will continue tomorrow.

Last edited by audidudi; Jan 20, 17 at 12:06 pm Reason: I corrected a spelling mistake!
Old Jan 20, 17, 11:23 am

It was just a thought that some news/film crew checks 20+ ~100lbs bags would weight restrict the flight...they could be going anywhere not DC, may not have anything to with anything. Film crew going SMF/MSP/YYZ to film a movie could do it too.
Old Jan 20, 17, 12:05 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
It was just a thought that some news/film crew checks 20+ ~100lbs bags would weight restrict the flight...they could be going anywhere not DC, may not have anything to with anything. Film crew going SMF/MSP/YYZ to film a movie could do it too.
Very true! I think it was probably a weight-and-balance issue though!
Old Jan 20, 17, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP (3MM), DL PM, BONVOY TITANIUM, HYATT GLOBALIST, HILTON DIAMOND, IHG SPIRE AMB, et al.
Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
Whatever! The majority of the marches and protests will happen today in DC, and it's doubtful they will continue tomorrow.
No. Plenty of marches/protests planned for tomorrow. In fact, the largest planned march over the weekend will happen tomorrow (the Women's March - estimates are suggesting anywhere from 200,000-400,000 participants).

-FlyerBeek
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by jrl767 View Post
that is correct ... they haven't run an all-cargo subfleet since the early 1960s; I think NW had some cargo 747s in service as late as ~2000
wow, why in the world did they go backwards/continue to stay there with no dedicated cargo fleet. They sure are missing out on money, and they wouldn't run into problems like this if they flew cargo flights
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
wow, why in the world did they go backwards/continue to stay there with no dedicated cargo fleet. They sure are missing out on money, and they wouldn't run into problems like this if they flew cargo flights
it was the right business decision at the time

DL's cargo operation in the early '60s consisted of a handful of Curtiss C-46s (World War II vintage twin-engine transport); in 1969 they were operating about a dozen flights with Lockheed L-100s (civilian version of the C-130)
Old Jan 20, 17, 9:33 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Wow, JRL, looking at the bottom right corner block in your pic, I notice that they recycled the term: "Basic Economy Class" from 1969!
Old Jan 21, 17, 7:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
I was sitting too far back to see what happened but a few bags went back to the front at the end of the boarding process. Didn't see any passengers deplane and all seats seemed full, so I guess they either found space for them in F or the closets, or people voluntarily separated from their bags.
Old Jan 21, 17, 8:08 am

Programs: FB Silver, MR Platinum (Life), EK Silver, DL, UA Premier, BA, HH Gold, A3 *Silver
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
To be honest, cargo revenue has been going down significantly lately. Just as an example, here's AF/KL's cargo revenue over the past years, down 25%:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...cargo-revenue/

In addition, cargo on board passenger flights helps make some routes profitable. You don't need to fill the plane with passengers if you have good cargo on board. While dedicated cargo planes allow you to fly other routes, or have more flexibility to meet one-off demand, the empty bellies of passenger planes are there to use.

So, yes, having some cargo planes can bring some additional revenue, but just using what extra space you have in the business you specialize in makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
Old Jan 21, 17, 9:53 am

Flights are payload optimized all the time depending on the route. My local airport has two flights that are payload optimized every day. Once route is less than an hour (739) and one is non-D1 transcon (319/320). Where I am, it's never had anything to do with cargo. It's all about the weather (temperature, altitude, visibility, topography), aircraft type, passenger load, and weight distribution.
Old Jan 21, 17, 12:17 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AAdvantage Member, Elevate Silver
SLC-BOS/BOS-SLC has this issue when its operated by an A320
Old Jan 21, 17, 12:35 pm

Originally Posted by berliner5000 View Post
So they would vdb or idb a few passengers? It's going to be a tough sell to pax to not arrive at the same time as your luggage.
Wouldn't Delta leave bags before IDB? That's been the case in the past.

Last edited by OHDL1; Jan 21, 17 at 12:54 pm
Old Jan 21, 17, 12:40 pm

Originally Posted by GenevaFlyer View Post
To be honest, cargo revenue has been going down significantly lately. Just as an example, here's AF/KL's cargo revenue over the past years, down 25%:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/409246/air-france-klm-total-annual-cargo-revenue/

In addition, cargo on board passenger flights helps make some routes profitable. You don't need to fill the plane with passengers if you have good cargo on board. While dedicated cargo planes allow you to fly other routes, or have more flexibility to meet one-off demand, the empty bellies of passenger planes are there to use.

So, yes, having some cargo planes can bring some additional revenue, but just using what extra space you have in the business you specialize in makes a lot of sense.

Cheers,

GenevaFlyer
I think that's what helps CVG maintain the CDG flight....lots of GE cargo.
Old Jan 21, 17, 12:59 pm

Programs: WN, AA, UA, DL
Strange that you were payload optimized going eastbound. I've only heard of that being an issue westbound on MD-90 flights from MSP to the West coast. It didn't look like your flight had much of a tailwind to work with, but you weren't facing a wind or having to avoid weather either. It also appears to have left with nearly all seats filled. Could have been lots of reasons I guess. Might have been cargo that had to fly. Could have been a mechanical issue that created a fuel burn penalty. Could have been fuel for holding at MSP due to the foggy day we had. Strange. Still, that's one reason I avoid those MD-90s to California. It doesn't take much to create weight restrictions.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: